Thread: Getting scratches off a stock without full refinishing...

Default Getting scratches off a stock without full refinishing...

Just had my Ruger scout rifle refinshined after the rust bath it took this moose season. Since I've been thinking about selling it, I want to take care of some of the little dings in the finish, while I'm at it. I've refinished other stocks but I dont feel like doing the whole strip and refinish process at this point. Any ideas on getting little scratches buffed out or filled in?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

What about a light sand and then a semi gloss clear? Is it laminate or the walnut?

A clear epoxy should allow pretty good transparency of the stock finish to show through.

Perhaps hunt_ak has a few ideas. He's savvy in the refinishing department.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

A damp rag and a steam iron can be used to raise the wood if it is dented in and touch up the finish.

I have read that scratches can be filed with super glue and buffed out, but I have not tried it. The article said to use an accelerator to dry the SG. Again, I have not tried this.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    What about a light sand and then a semi gloss clear? Is it laminate or the walnut?

A clear epoxy should allow pretty good transparency of the stock finish to show through.

Perhaps hunt_ak has a few ideas. He's savvy in the refinishing department.
    It's the black laminate version. I thought about epoxy or poly, but I'd have to do the whole thing to match the tone and finish, right?
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

If you epoxy in the dents then yes, clear coat the whole thing to give it a uniform finish.

On one hand you sell it as is for a little less money, or you sell it and no one will pay top asking dollar cuz the stock has been refinished so you back to selling it for less. Marketing it here now everyone will know its story.

So whether or not it's worth is is up to you.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

What Stid2677 said for the dings. Super glue for the scratches. The stock laminate is the same laminate used in bow risers and I've fixes a few them over the years with SG. 400 grit paper will bring the SG excess bumps down. Might take a few coats if the scratches are deep.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Just had my Ruger scout rifle refinshined after the rust bath it took this moose season. Since I've been thinking about selling it, I want to take care of some of the little dings in the finish, while I'm at it. I've refinished other stocks but I dont feel like doing the whole strip and refinish process at this point. Any ideas on getting little scratches buffed out or filled in?
    It's a used rifle. I would expect it to come with a few scratches. That being said... without seeing it, it's a tough one to armchair, but if they are just small scratches, I think I might rub some wipe-on poly into them, perhaps a couple times, then even the whole thing up with 0000 wool, and finish with a good coat of Minwax Finishing Wax.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

If theyre just light scuffs you can shoot them with some semigloss Deft. After it has dried cut it down level with some 0000 bronze wool. This trick works great for matching factory finishes on laminates. I've tried the superglue method before and never had great luck getting it to even out, I always seem to get a low spot around the glue, like the glue is usually harder than the finish.

ahhhh,
    just like the finish, the "gunsite scout" fad is starting wear off.

Where do you get Deft? I recently took a wild goose chase to 5 different stores to find the correct paint for a plastic stock.

Home depot or Lowes. I've used it to touch up many a nicked buttstock after fitting recoil pads, dries fast and looks exactly like factory poly finishes.