Thread: Winter Time Battery

Default Winter Time Battery

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep their battery warm during the winter?
    I have a Canon 7D, looking to try some time-laps type stuff, any ideas on how to keep that oh so important battery life or does it last a fair amount of time?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.

Lithium batteries do better than any other in cold weather, but they do have their limits, and that limit is reduced in severe cold. I know some people have resorted to wrapping a chemical hand warmer around the camera battery compartment but they don't last all that long either when exposed to the elements. Adding a battery grip that uses two batteries might be the easiest option.

With some older cameras Canon offered a dummy battery pack that had a wire going out to a larger battery pack that you put inside your coat. I have one for an old EOS 5 and Elan 2. I've not seen any of those for digital cameras, but it would not be hard to make one up.

Quote Originally Posted by wvfb163 View Post
    I have a Canon 7D, looking to try some time-laps type stuff, any ideas on how to keep that oh so important battery life or does it last a fair amount of time?
    It depends on exactly what kind of work you are actually thinking of. For a few hours is one thing, for days is another. Also it matters just how cold you want it to survive.

Obviously in Fairbanks you could be hoping to survive -70F, and maybe you are looking at days or even weeks without servicing?

The extremes will require a heated box with a significant external source of power. There just isn't a commercial product available, and specifically not a replacement battery for the Canon 7D (or any other modern DLSR as far as I know). If you know the right people though, there is no reason that a custom made battery box could not be designed with sufficient capacity for any desired length of time at any given minimum temperature. (Consider a unit with a little heater, and a charger that automatically switches between two regular Lithium Ion batteries. This would run off a 24 volt truck battery that is periodically charged by an auto starting gasoline driven generator. Two gallons of gas would probably last for a couple months, maybe less in January and February! :-) (And it would also cost an arm and a leg to have one made.)

So the question really is just exactly what needs do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    (Consider a unit with a little heater, and a charger that automatically switches between two regular Lithium Ion batteries. This would run off a 24 volt truck battery that is periodically charged by an auto starting gasoline driven generator. Two gallons of gas would probably last for a couple months, maybe less in January and February! :-) (And it would also cost an arm and a leg to have one made.)

So the question really is just exactly what needs do you have?
    Now that a battery box. I like it!!!! I like it!!!! lol

On my Canon 7Ds and a 5D Mk III I use the battery grips that hold two batteries.

Jim

Can't wait to see your time lapse stuff. That would be fun to experiment with. I have done some long single exposure shots. I have a canon dslr with a battery grip and two canon batteries. With that set up I have been able to shoot four 50 min.+ exposures at temps around 20 degrees. Good luck. Hope you start a thread to help others with ideas, lessons and images.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

The battery on your 7D will last quite a while outdoors. I use one for taking pictures of the Yukon Quest dog sled race, and other races around Chena Lakes. However, if you have any concerns about the battery, just buy a second battery and keep it next to you in one of the pockets inside your coat. Otherwise have a few of the packets of the chemical boot warmers in your pocket, activate one of them inside a small zipLock bag in the camera bag, and place the extra battery next to the warmer. However, do this if you don't have a pocket inside your coat (next to your shirt or undergarments).

You can also keep everything a few degrees above ambient temperature inside an insulated camera bag. If it gets too cold inside, activate a hand or boot warmer and place it near the camera inside the bag.

I just spend an hour or more out there and then walk back to my truck to warm up myself and the camera, and so far haven't had any trouble with the battery losing capacity.