Thread: .22 Mag or .17 Hornet for Fox

Default .22 Mag or .17 Hornet for Fox

Will be going out calling this week. Have both .22 Mag and a .17 Hornet available in Savage bolt action guns. Which would be best for Fox? Have never shot fox with anything but shotgun before. Both these cartridges are new to me. Both guns shoot 1/2 " at 100 yards.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

im pokeing no fun to you or no one as i started the 338 post but got to say these gun comparisons are getting fun to read and add something to ruffle a feather lol. they are bolth great for fox i would use the 22 mag

If i had both i would shoot one with each gun and determine which one worked best for the area i was hunting.

Sounds 'good' Graybeard. I like the .22 mag but have had accuracy problems. You are getting awesome accuracy with your Savage .22 mag at 100 yards. Any other tips on getting that kind of accuracy with the .22 mag would be much appreciated. Thanks!

the .22's seem real finicky on the ammo. accuracy wise i've had best luck with the 33grn hornady & the remington accupoint or tipped bullet. but for hunting it 40grn win super-x

If you can hand load it, the 17 Hornet without a doubt.

I only say that because I dispise the vmax for fur, but have been messing around with the 17 AH for years. The new hornet should be a hit.

Factory ammo Id take the 22 mag only because there are some bullet choices.

Default .22 lr vs 12 ga

Suppose the choices were .22 lr with 40 grain solids or 12 ga 870 with steel BBB. Which would you prefer for fox?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Suppose the choices were .22 lr with 40 grain solids or 12 ga 870 with steel BBB. Which would you prefer for fox?

If I were calling an open area, I think I would go with the .22lr. I recently shot a fox with a .22 mag that was facing away from me, and the bullet traveled almost the entire length of the body and exited. The .22 lr has more than enough power to get the job done.

you can buy a 22 cal comparitor and sort bulk ammo this way. It'll really help with accuracy! Basically changes the headspacing, simple tool no calipers needed sort of a slot fo rthe shell that slides on a graduated bar thats marked.

For fox you'll be fine with both. 17's are particular with ammo so if you use the 17gr vmax do NOT shot for the head or heavy bone! I havent tried the 20gr xtp's but heard they mushroom nicely as do the 20gr fmj by cci's. I'm considering the 20 grainers mainly due to the fact I call mostly at night. Dunno how you day guys do it lol! Had a cat and a yote in last night on the same set. daytime....zilch!!! if you dont count ospreys, owls, hawks and camprobbers......The feathered predators are fun enough I'll continue day calling.

Graybeard, out of curiosity, which Savage 22 bolt action do you own?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

boy kwhale just said the glenns closed at arctic valley exit going north! anyone know about this?
    Semper Fi!

22 mag
    17 is no good int eh wind
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

sorry I was referring to the 17hmr. A buddy has the ruger 17 hornet and has yet to field test it. I almost picked up the savage hornet. Finally figuring out my resize issue with the ppc, how many fur rifles does one guy need LOL!

The 17s are fine in the wind. Afterall you're not shooting past 100 yards, most shots are closer to 50. if I could shoot a HMR past a 100 yards I wouldnt for fur chasing unless I had a perfect none moving broadside shot and I wouldnt push it past 150 with the vmax's. I cant vouch for the 20gr game points or the fmj's but by what I've read if I was going to be in a little more open country and wanted a little more range I'd likely choose the 20gr fmj's. I've shot the game points but have yet to hunt with'm. The real problem with the HMR's is placement, you have to particular about it atleast with the vmax. It leaves a nice wound channel IF you stay away from bone (head/shoulder) Which causes a problem for you night callers without up flood lights for a light. The light I have on my 17 is OK.....my hand held light is perfect, but its hard to shoot and hold at the same time. Joys of solo calling I guess. One of my cats last year I splashed on the forehead.

I would think with the 17 hornets you'd have even less issues with wind drift (being its faster) but again distance becomes an issue due to bullets fragmenting on impact. With the 17s bullet choice and than shot selection are by far the two greatest things you have to be thinking about. The goal is to keep from blowing fur to pieces and the 17s do it well and do well on cats/fox as a few of us have played with so I wouldnt scoff at them. Most of the boys people watch on the videos are not worried about a $300 cat hide even though they shoot some impressive bobcats, saving fur for most is not their first priority. Producing a action packed video to get us all addicted is LOL! You just cant run around taking marginal shots, and I'd stay clear of running shots (fox, do they ever stop LOL). My experience with yotes is it worked fine, and my buddies that have them also havent had issues, we havent had the opportunity to shoot a ton of them but from what we've experienced its worked fine.....that said I've done a ton of reading and many have. Obviously there is no vouching for shot selection/placement so only hearing the outcome is really not something I'd base my decision on purchasing a 22 vs a 17.

Which makes it even a bigger case to run with the 22 wmr, if you can get the accuracy as posted above. Heavier bullets with a little more energy and more options to pick from. the 17's are still a fairly new come to the predator scene...........

if you've had luck with a shotgun I'd stick with it. Full choke out to 65+ yards with hevishot 3" will do the job. If you're dead set on a rifle either will work, shoot whatever one you are the most comfortable with.

I have the Savage 24-F with the Accutrigger in .22 Mag. I also have a Savage M-25 in .17 Hornet also with the accutrigger. Both have a four shot magazine. I have a .17 HMR in a H&R Sportster, but have become a bit unhappy with it. It shoot great, and very accurate, but takes too long to reload.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

What do you guys think of the 17 Mach2? I know it is small but it sure does a job on rabbits out to 100 yards and has zero drop.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

Default 22 mag w/50 gr. HP

These sure knock them flat, lighten the bullets ups to reach further. To 125 yds it would be the 22 mag for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1422.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	65918