Thread: First day of trapping season pics

Default First day of trapping season pics

Well another trapping season is underway. I have the same trapping partner as years previous and she is already catching fur!

Can't always catch em!

We did some scouting and boondocking all day Sat finding lots of fox and cat sign. I like to wait till Dec to set for cats so they get better coloring but we will be setting over the holiday for some k9's. We also found that a few of the beaver houses we trapped a few years ago had some nice feed beds in front telling us they are active. Found mink, ermine and otter sign also so it's looking to be a good year trapping!

We ended up with 4 rats out of 9 sets from right in front of the cabin.

You can see she is only holding 3 rats because...

Had a visitor help himself to one in the middle of the night. The fox then proceeded to hit the rest of our sets by peeing and pooping all over them. Had fresh lynx and caribou tracks in the yard also. Amazing how the critters run while your a sleep. We will be hitting it hard in a week or two, just waiting on the animals to prime up a bit and also need a little more snow to get to our regular line. I'll update next month!

Very nice, is that sweet looking cabin your full time residence or your play ground? Either way very cool!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Way cool Steve! I was gonna say, based on her leggings it didn't look too awful cold yet...but then I saw you weren't too far from the cabin <grin>. Good luck out there this winter.

Smokey- soon to be home.

BR-you hit it right, 21 above was a nice surprise which in fact is why we decided to go for some rats. I usually don't bother with them because it's usually -20 or colder and the pushups end up freezing up. No fun spending 1/2 hour chipping out a frozen rat at those temps. Kara and I are excited to get the season going, especially with the over night fox issues. Looked to me a pair of fox were working the pushups. I am hoping one is the silver I called in last spring that was in the same area. The beaver houses that are active are the same ones that I sent you the beaver out of a few years back. Glad we left a little seed..

You got lynx still? Lucky guy. Looking forward to pics.
    Good Luck Steve.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

MT-More cat sign then ever this year but I know the end is coming. I went from a zillion rabbits on the property just 2 years ago to absolutly none. I also didn't see one grouse all summer. The cats will be crashing soon for me I believe. I noticed last weekend that the cats were hitting the pushups along with the fox which I havn't seen in the past.

I sure do like seeing photos of the kids, and hearing the success stories that go with. Thanks for sharing these. I always like seeing trappers and hunters in purple, pink, tights, etc. Just adds to my smile. Tell her we'll be watching for more great stories and photos. She can't disappoint us.
    ARR

Looks like you and Kara are off to another fun season. Stay safe out there Steve
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it