Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Violations on the dalton highway

Default Violations on the dalton highway

Hi guys,

I haven't used this forum much but have had a renewed interest since witnessing the bufoonery on the dalton highway this year.
    Ive lived here all my life and hunted the dhcma since 2002.
    6 October I had a very interesting experience, in the evening at 130 miles form prudhoe I noticed headlights on the tundra, must be an alyeska truck on the service road right? No, what I witnessed we're a couple guys in a white Toyota fj cruiser driving on the tundra. they made it about 1/2 a mile and got stuck. I was in disbelief, especially after what happened a few years ago, my friends told me not to confront them. We stopped a truck driver on the way to prudhoe and asked him to report it at prudhoe, he agreed and we assumed our job was done. After I returned I contacted the state troopers, it would appear they got away with it and it was not reported. Other hunters in the area said they had shot a bull a few miles out and were using their truck to retrieve it.

I returned a couple of weekends ago and was in the middle of a nice stalk when I heard a rifle shot about 2 miles off the road. I don't understand, I guess since their is no cell service people are getting away with this kind of stuff. We're they possibly taking a fur animal under trapping regulations? Im not sure.

Well my point of this post is to see if other hunters have noticed these same type of violations and have had any trouble reporting this stuff or is it rare? Are the regs not clear about the dhcma that you cannot drive on the tundra? Or that you cannot shoot one mile off the road?

Any ideas on what we can do as responsible hunters? Maybe carry a sat phone or ham radio?

Thanks for listening.

The regulations are clear enough, they are in black and white after all.....I would assume that either those folks just dont care, or they figure theyre far enough away from civilization that they wont get caught? Though it is remote, there is fairly heavy traffic.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I would say you did what you could...you tried to report it as best you could. I for one, will not be carrying a Sat phone or other communication device for the sole purpose of reporting a violation. I'll do what I can with what I have (cell phone, camera etc), and if that's enough, then great.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

as for the rifle shot.. remember those that live up there year round can hunt with a firearm under the federal subsistence regs
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There is no solution to the problem unless we police ourselves. If you look at the square miles that the F&G trooper up there covers, it is probably the size of South Dakota for one man to cover.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Remember Trappers have the right to shoot trapped animals near the highway. So if you hear a shot don't automatically think it's someone using a gun to hunt Caribou. It could be a trapper finishing off a Fox, Wolf, of Wolverine.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

I really think the state needs to put up signs. Soon after you cross the Yukon river at the rest stop on the left. I'm talking a big sign not one of those little no parking signs. The next one should be on the pull out by the arctic circle. The last one at the bottom atigun the big pull out on the right. Yeah yeah read the regs...

The shot that I heard was right after about 500 caribou moved in the direction The sound came from, and it was definently a high powered rifle and not a rimfire. I hoped it was a trapper, back in 2007 a friend and I were on our way back from a rifle hunt, while dragging back our meat we heard a shot just as we were getting to the road, later two guys emerged and said they were sleeping on the road, and walking back to hunt. They didnt have a gps and said "we were pretty far back" I doubt that gut pile was further then a mile off the road. People that seriously hunt 5 miles off the road usually have some equipment to spend the night out there. Well maybe it's not the type of hunting they are used to, I just wish they could get educated before they head out. I totally agree on policing ourselves but what do you do, I imagine if this kind of stuff gets too bad you'll need a permit to drive the road again like back in the 80's. Then maybe the state will make it 10 miles to rifle hunt.

People can't even get clear water control use area right much less get the 5 mile corridor figured out up there. Granted everyone knows about the 5 miles. But people go up there hunting 5 miles back think its going to be a cake walk. It isn't it sucks hauling a bou on your back. Folks that never done it think it isn't that bad. I wonder how many bou get left back there and only horns and few choice pieces of meat come out. Then they have no GPS think hey I'm 5 miles back they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I really think the state needs to put up signs. Soon after you cross the Yukon river at the rest stop on the left. I'm talking a big sign not one of those little no parking signs. The next one should be on the pull out by the arctic circle. The last one at the bottom atigun the big pull out on the right. Yeah yeah read the regs...
    Maybe they should just make the next guy that violates the rules to HOLD that sign.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Maybe they should just make the next guy that violates the rules to HOLD that sign.
    While in uniform??

(Oh, SOMEone had to go there)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Good One!!!

but not with his hands....

That would work too

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    While in uniform??

I will be the first to admit that military members do commit violations. But, I can tell you for sure that they get hammered, once the state is done with them the command slaps them with UCMJ actions and many have their careers ended. I have witnessed this first hand. Same when they get a DUI.

Idiots come from all walks of life and putting on a uniform does not always change that, it just means they weren't caught and had a record before they joined.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    While in uniform??

Unfortunately you are right most violations are committed by knuckle heads from Jber and wainwright.

Deleted, because it violates forum rules, for the second time. message left on your profile page. Please review the rules, Sir. Thank you.

Steve

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...police_blotter
    Last edited by stid2677; 11-12-2012 at 17:55.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tundrawooky907 View Post
    The shot that I heard was right after about 500 caribou moved in the direction The sound came from, and it was definently a high powered rifle and not a rimfire. I hoped it was a trapper, back in 2007 a friend and I were on our way back from a rifle hunt, while dragging back our meat we heard a shot just as we were getting to the road, later two guys emerged and said they were sleeping on the road, and walking back to hunt. They didnt have a gps and said "we were pretty far back" I doubt that gut pile was further then a mile off the road. People that seriously hunt 5 miles off the road usually have some equipment to spend the night out there. Well maybe it's not the type of hunting they are used to, I just wish they could get educated before they head out. I totally agree on policing ourselves but what do you do, I imagine if this kind of stuff gets too bad you'll need a permit to drive the road again like back in the 80's. Then maybe the state will make it 10 miles to rifle hunt.
    again.. residents of wiseman and coldfoot are allowed to hunt with a fire arm.. and they can.. and do.. walk right out there beside the bow hunters and shoot caribou just to piss off the out of towners.... so dont jump to conclusions on that aspect

and the road will not go back to permit.. i used to hunt it, work it, and travel it when a permit was needed.. the road was not in shape or safe before 96 when it opened beyond Chandelar..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince what did it take to get a permit back then. This came up in conversation a few weeks ago. Also do you know or where one can find info on how they came to the 5 mile corridor as well. Also when did the state take the road over?

2 years ago we had a trooper land on a sandbar while we were quartering a caribou and he checked our licences and asked how we knew we were 5 miles out, we had a gps plus this wasn't my first time there so I knew we were good. I used to enjoy hunting up there but it's gotten to crowded and crazy plus we had guys buzzing us with planes daily so I found another area for caribou.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast