Thread: Kenai Brown Bears

Default Kenai Brown Bears

So I was looking through the draw supplement and saw now brown bear draws. Does anyone know what the deal with taking them out is? just find it very odd and I had not heard anything about it.

It is going to a registration hunt, just go to Soldotna and get your permit. The season is currently on until November 30th if you want to hunt now.

akmac, thanks for the info... but doesn't that seem once again counter productive? In the past these hunts were registration prior to going to draw. Obviously the draws were a great idea, but never happened due to DLP. I might be wrong but going back to registration hunts that probably will never happen may or may not help the brown bear situation down there.

Was there any specific reason as to why they saw this as a better means to manage all of these bears?

The biologist wanted to thin out a few of the large boars so with the registraion hunt boars didn't count against the yearly total of bears taken. Only breeding age sows count against the yearly total. The registration hunt opened in early October and numerous sows were killed so the biologist shut the hunt down to be reopened on the 25 of October in the hopes that more sows would be hibernating. As far as I know the season is still open. There were very few DLP bears killed this year so hopefully the trend will continue and we will get another hunt next year.