Thread: Big dreams on the line with even bigger surprise

Default Big dreams on the line with even bigger surprise

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weasel #1 rotated.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	65418

OK the title may be a bit deceiving but this is my first fur ever in Alaska. I was able to get out a few sets last Saturday but not as many as i wanted. My bait pile is in working order and now i am just waiting for the animals to start using it. Well i wish you guys the best of luck and I hope i will have more pictures of fur later on for you guys.

I have been doing some research online to figure out what is up with this weasel. I cannot find any pictures of weasels that look like this one does. The tail is way to short and does not have a black tip. The tail was not broken off or anything like that. Is this weasel just a baby and how common are these mini weasels?

I bet it was a least weasel. They grow to 10 inches and have little to no black in their tail. Cute little guy.

check here: wildlife notebook series
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

In a coincidence of timing, there was an article about Least Weasels last week in the ADN. Pretty interesting read...

http://www.adn.com/2012/11/05/268330...vore-with.html

They sell really good on taxidermy.net.

How did you catch the little guy? Seems he could sneak past the trigger on many or most of my sets! Really neat little guy! Explains a lot of what i've been seeing though!

thanks guys for the information i really appreciate it. Teacher man it is to late to sell it now i cut into it but when you ship these little guys. How do you ship them? What kind of packaging do you wrap them in so they don't thaw out to fast? Limon32 i caught him in a weasel box.

Default My .02

For what it's worth, I agree with the concensus. I caught one in a Sherman metal box trap while trapping for small mammals to mount for classwork as an undergrad. I had a classmate's dad do a standing mount and it conveniently got "eaten by the cat when we accidentally let the cat in on our way out fishing." He reimbursed my discounted price on the work but i have a good feeling that skin is a prized piece on someone elses mantle.

There are some really neat mustelids but those little guys are my favorite.
    Go Big Red!

When I get them on the line I role them into a ball, vaccume seal them and freeze them. Taxi guys that buy them pay for overnight shipping. They fit in a very small box. Usually sell half dozen at a time, the numbers help keep them frozen. Little crumpled newspaper helps also.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfever1 View Post
    thanks guys for the information i really appreciate it. Teacher man it is to late to sell it now i cut into it but when you ship these little guys. How do you ship them? What kind of packaging do you wrap them in so they don't thaw out to fast? Limon32 i caught him in a weasel box.

thanks for the advice teacherman. I have some of the traps you sold me out right now and i hope to take a picture with something in them. I am no longer going to skin those babys out because i am slow i spent 40 minutes skinning and stretching the dang thing. It was so small i had to make a stretcher on the fly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weasel skinned out.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	65441
    This is for all you guys who were wondering how it turned out. I posted it so all can see but I will explain how i stretched it because it was fun. I took two belly spacer boards you use for marten to keep them from sticking to the stretcher. I placed the side by side in the weasel and stretched it like it was a fox or anything else on a wood stretcher. I just used pins to hold the two belly spacers far enough apart and pined the whole thing down on top of a weasel board. the funny thing was it was about half the size of a regular weasel board.