Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety equip, tools and extras??

Default Safety equip, tools and extras??

I purchased my ATV late last fall and did not get many miles on it. I'm in the process of getting ready for this years riding such as putting together the safety equipment, tools and extras that should be taken along to patch tires etc. I'd like some info from those who have some "lessons learned" regarding what to take along or not take along. I have an Arctic Cat 500 TBX with the side storage boxes so having a few "extras" to take along is not a problem.
    Thanks......

With all that room in the TBX, I think I'd bring everything! I bring a snatch block, extra cable, folding saw, tire sealant. This year I'm going to get a small 12v air ccompressor too. Lets see, first aid kit, maybe a shovel (last year i dug out with a shed moose antler we found), an extra quart or two of motor oil, and the kitchen sink.

First thing I'd do...and did, was junk the factory tools that came with the wheeler! Make your own tool set to take with you out of quality tools. Trust me I know...I found out the hard way.

I carry alot of what 10mm does but since I ride a polaris, I also take along extra belt. Also a plug kit for the big holes and a small set of jumper cables. I know my 2stroke can rip your arm off pull starting it if I dont get it on the right stroke. I'm used to being pulled out so I carry a jerk strap.

Sat phone, strap of some sort, leatherman, bicycle tire pump, first aid, extra socks/gloves!! EricL

This is what I carry on a day trip.

Goggle (Dust-Rain)
    Toilet Paper
    GPS / AA Battery
    Saw
    Ax
    ChainSaw / Gas-Oil
    Flashlight
    Radio
    Lighter
    First Aid Kits
    Fire Starter 3 each
    leather Man
    Big Plastic Bags
    Mosquito net
    E.L.P., Personal Survival Kit.
    Soap, Wash Cloth
    Whistles

Sleeping Gears
    Tent / Poles
    TyVeck Bag
    Sleeping pad, Ther-o-Rest
    Long John's, Top & Bottom
    Socks
    Hat's, Dog-Mushing

Clothes
    Coat
    Baseball Hat
    Rain Hat
    Balaclave
    Rain, Pants & Coat
    Sweater
    Goves

Food
    Whistles
    Tang
    Cup-a- Soup
    Chili
    Candy
    Stove / Gas Bottle / Hose
    Pots 2 each
    Cup / Spoon

In addition to what the other posters said buy yourself a 50 foot section of that syn winch cable. You can find it on ebay for about 50 bucks. It will not stretch and can double as a longgggggg tow strap.
    Also carry an assortment of fuses and a can of heet and maybe an extra key.
    Tennessee

Default Stuff

Rutting Moose,
    You would need a Doodlebug to carry all your gear!
    Patrick

Default Thanks for the input-what about tire repair?

Thanks to everyone for the great input. I knew I would get some quality answers on the forum! What have you found is the best tire repair kit??? I've seen plugs, fix a flat etc...... Anything work better than others?
    Thanks in advance.
    Brian

a company called "Safety Seal" makes the best tire repair/ plug kits out there. They sell all the parts individually or you can buy a kit that comes in a nice plastic molded case to throw in your trail kit. Some of the local tire shops should be able to get them for you or they are on Ebay a lot.

I have a list for summer trips and another for winter trips. And always carry a fanny pack at all times with enough to last overnight just ib case.

I ride lots. I put on over 1500 miles since spring. Friday 60 miles, saturday 70 miles and yesterday 65 miles.
    I have gear for day trips, gear for 2-3 day trips and gear for one week plus trips pulling my meat wagon. I have a cabelas hard box mounted on the rear racks of my Grizz (highly recommend these boxs, makes your atv a truck)
    I carry 40+ lbs of tools. I can tear apart carbs, work on axles, whatever. Rachet straps and wire can hold stuff together to make it back to the trailhead.
    A winch is a must and so is a snatchblock. Carry a tow strap for TOWING, NEVER jerk stuck people out, this is the best way to bust your machine!
    I hardly ever turn around at river crossing that look difficult. My Grizz is snorkled and all vent lines are extended and run up the handlebars. ALL electrical connections are dielectric greased.
    100ft of rope
    Hatchet
    air compressor and bottle of slime
    plug type tire repair kit
    (rachet strap to help get air in a tire that has popped its bead, if that don't work pour a little gas or heet inside the tire and light it, it'll explode into place )
    4 or 5 quarts of oil, oil filter and spark plug. If you swamp your rig and get water in the oil you want to be able to clean it out and keep going, not be towed back to the trailhead.
    1 quart of differential fluid.
    Behind my hardbox I strapped a piece of 6" abs pipe with screw in plugs on both ends, this holds two fishing poles, lures, bug dope, oil filter, spark plugs and the diff oil.
    Set of atv jumper cables.
    Small backpack full of food and small stuff, gps, first aid kit etc.
    FLAT PAK GAS CONTAINER strapped on the front rack. They are the best way to roll. Spendy but worth it as you can strap all sorts of stuff on top of them. Regular gas jugs suck, for a lot of reasons, for atv use.
    This is what I carry on day trips and it all fits in the hardbox and abs pipe. the list grows the longer I plan on being out.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    ... (ratchet strap to help get air in a tire that has popped its bead, if that don't work pour a little gas or heet inside the tire and light it, it'll explode into place )...
    I recently found out that your winch line wrapped around circumference of the tire (it works better with the wheel removed from the machine) is also a surprisingly good way to help seat the bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    With all that room in the TBX, I think I'd bring everything! I bring a snatch block, extra cable, folding saw, tire sealant. This year I'm going to get a small 12v air ccompressor too. Lets see, first aid kit, maybe a shovel (last year i dug out with a shed moose antler we found), an extra quart or two of motor oil, and the kitchen sink.
    Yup, what he said. Add a couple of good quality wrenches plus a few extra metric nuts and bolts, 6 inch cresent wrench and a good pair of pliers
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    In addition to what the other posters said buy yourself a 50 foot section of that syn winch cable. You can find it on ebay for about 50 bucks. It will not stretch and can double as a longgggggg tow strap.
    Also carry an assortment of fuses and a can of heet and maybe an extra key.
    For information re: syn winch cable, refer:
    Synthetic ATV winch line, 3/16"
    Synthetic winch line, 3/8"

B sure and take a spare valve stem. Valve cap that you can remove the valve core with. Spare valve core. Don't ask me how I know this. I have had success and not with the CO2 inflation device.

I always carry a flat tire kit and pump, many tools, and some extra clothes and water.
    But I have ALWAYS found the best thing to have along is a friend with another machine and a tow strap.

Having a heavy ass Ranger I definitely go prepared. I carry a winch kit (2 shackles, 2 6ft straps, snatch block) as well as a 25ft strap, tire kit w/ c02, small shovel, Hi-Lift jack, used winch cable that has been problem once (just a bit shorter). Small tool kit, axe, extra belt, bottle of coolant.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Boy, this thread got dug up from the deep! We have got some great information here. AkMud, what about making this one a sticky? I know we have the safety forum but with this being a ATV specific, maybe it needs a place at the top?.?
    EricL

I carry a socket set tailored to the machine, duct tape, Oil, fuel filter, oil filter, tow accessories, and of course a tire repair kit with Air compressor and a ratchet strap to hold the tire on the bead. I would really emphasize the extra oil because swamping happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast