Thread: Ferry Trail

Default Ferry Trail

Anyone been out the Ferry Trail yet? (Near Healy) I am thinking about trying it next weekend and would like a heads up.

Thought I'd piggy back on this one and ask if anybodys ever gotten on the ferry to Kodiak Is. with their 4 Wheeler to do some hunting?

Haven't been there in a LONG time. Can you still take atv's across the railroad tracks to get to the trail? How is the parking situation for the tow vehicles? Last time I was there, a narrow foot bridge was alongside the railroad bridge and only smaller atvs and snowmachines could get across it. They had spikes on the railroad bridge. More how to do it would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Ferry trail foot bridge

The Foot bridge is kinda narrow. My 2001 rubicon's fenders rubbed the whole way across. I don't think the newer bigger machines would make it.

I took my 04 Big Bear over the bridge last summer, it was tight, but ridable. I am going to go out next weekend come heck or high water... I will report. Great trip last time I was out there.

byrd

Default Ferry tressel

The footbridge is 45 1/4" at it's narrowest point. I bought a Kingquad and we're looking at alternative ways in to that area. There is also another set of rails inside the train tracks which will foil anyone trying to ride inside the train tracks. Obviously, the RR doesn't want ATV traffic on that tressel.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail1der View Post
    Thought I'd piggy back on this one and ask if anybodys ever gotten on the ferry to Kodiak Is. with their 4 Wheeler to do some hunting?
    You might want to make this another thread. The Ferry Trail is in the Interior; nowhere near the Ferry to Kodiak Island.

Default Soooo?

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I took my 04 Big Bear over the bridge last summer, it was tight, but ridable. I am going to go out next weekend come heck or high water... I will report. Great trip last time I was out there.

byrd
    Did you get out there? Any reports on your recent findings? Thanks Might get back up there myself this year and check it out. Just kinda wondering about the bridge and parking situation. Thanks

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Default Ferry Trail Access

Our 06 450 Kodiak with Mud Lites would go across without any troubles except for rubbing in the tight spots. I got the 06 Grizzly with 27 inch Mud Lites and wider wheels across by using a rachet strap on the rear. Because the Yamaha's are indepentdent suspension there is a little squat in the rear and the rachet strap pulls the rear tires together tight, just enough to cross with some rubbing. have fun

Default Sorry

I got called out on a work emergency and didn't get to go. My girlfriend and I are going to head out in the morning and make a weekend out of it. I will give a report when I get back... maybe even some pictures

Default great time

We had a great time. I got back about 25 miles or so and camped. I have some pics that I can post but I have to get them off the camera first. The bridge is a little narrow, my big bear fit fine, but I only had a inch or two to spare on either side most of the time. We got rained on a bunch and it was cooler than I anticipated, but it made for a bug free weekend. Didn't see a soul all weekend, it was nice to get away from the crowds. I spent a whole day exploring side trails, and I think I could have spend another doing the same. The trail got a little sloppy at about 20 mile but it didn't last too long.

One thing to note that parking is a little tricky, it seems that the land owners around the access road are a little tired of having people park on their land, so respect private property so that access is not put in jeopardy. I ended up parking out on the Parks Highway where there were was plenty of parking, and just rode in. It was only an extra mile or so.

All in all a great weekend.

Thanx. Sounds like a good time was had.

Question alternate access???

Quote Originally Posted by sbsmith View Post
    The footbridge is 45 1/4" at it's narrowest point. I bought a Kingquad and we're looking at alternative ways in to that area. There is also another set of rails inside the train tracks which will foil anyone trying to ride inside the train tracks. Obviously, the RR doesn't want ATV traffic on that tressel.
    My wheeler probably will not make it acrossed, just measured it at 49.5 inches acrossed. Does anyone know if the Rex trail can be followed back to the Ferry trail along the RR tracks? Either that, or is there anywhere else closer to get on the Ferry trail, without using the footbridge???

Default foot bridge

bgreania

Not sure about the Rex, but the railroad makes it very difficult to use their bridges. They put extra track in the middle of the their track so it would be a real problem getting your machine across the bridges. It would would be really difficult to cross the Nenana River without a boat. However I can say that for most of the way over the bridge I had about 3 inches on each side (2004 Big Bear), So you might be able to squeak through, it would be at least worth a try. Was out yesterday black bear hunting and saw a few sows with cubs, but had a great times. Camped at 28.5 miles, right next to a nice clear stream.

I just got back from Ferry. Pretty dry in most places. Towards the end of some of the trails you still have some serious snow pack. Got over some of it but didn't try at other locations. Being alone, I didn't really want to spend alot of time digging out or winching. Had GREAT weather. Didn't see alot of critters except for porcupines. Only saw 1 other machine and that was on my way out. Good couple of days!! Eric

Default Ferry Trail

Once we measured the Tressel at Ferry and realized it was a no go, we tried the Inter tie trail in off the Rex trail. We were hoping to get into Poker Flats which is where the Ferry Trail leads to. It's also a no go as the trail dies
    into the side of a mountain about three miles in off the Rex. A body could probably do it but it would take ALOT of determination and time (read winching) coming back out. The slope you would have to navigate coming back out is steep, with heavy brush and loose dirt, traction would be a MAJOR problem. Also, no good tie off points for winching up the hill( about 200 ft.). Hope this helps.
    sbsmith

I saw some guys take a 6 wheeler down the rail road tracks across the bridge one time but you are risking your life to do so. Don't try it what ever you do. I was on the foot bridge with my 4 wheeler one time when the train came through and I'm telling you it is moving fast when it rounds the bend up ahead. If you were just starting across you wouldn't have time to make it and those extra rails in the center would cause you real problems.

Default using RR tracks

I've also heard that there is usually someone there during hunting season in Sept, to make sure that noone uses the tracks to cross the river. I am going up to scout in a few weeks...hoping to find an alternate crossing to the Ferry trail if the footbridge is too narrow.