Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: saw the turkeys again

Default saw the turkeys again

I was headed to soldotna this last weekend and just after the lower skilak lake turnoff was a group of turkeys. Two big toms struting with 2/3 jakes and 5/6 hens following. Wish i had my bow with me. my camera was dead so i was unable to get pictures. It would be sweet to see a good population of these take hold.

Default Turkeys

Saw them yesterday in the same spot, they looked tasty!!

I have a turkey fryer! MMMMMM-Good

Pictures would be nice. I may bring my turkey caller down and get back in practice!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Shot 2,taste like #%$@$#!

kill em all! Can't be good for something or other
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Shot 2,taste like #%$@$#!

How did you fix them?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I could tell after skining them that the meat was going to be tough so I cut the legs into bite size peices and then simmered them with the breasts for an hour and then baked.YUK!I would rather eat spruce chickens that have been eating needles any day.The meat was so tough and stringy that your jaw would hurt before supper was over!

Default cookin um

Try just baking them in a cooking bag like a store bought turkey. Been eating them for years this way here in Wisconsin. Taste just like a jenny-o only with darker meat.
    Bruce

I have deep fryed them and the meat comes out nice and tender.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I never thought I would ever be involved in a turkey hunting discussion here in Alaska. Would they be classified as medium/big game or upland birds? I did see a few Guinea Fowl running around my house last summer!

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    I never thought I would ever be involved in a turkey hunting discussion here in Alaska. Would they be classified as medium/big game or upland birds? I did see a few Guinea Fowl running around my house last summer!

-Eric
    Strange isn't it! It won't be long and ADF&G will establish a spring hunt and we will be talking about camo, calls and shot guns!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

we definately need some gray jungle fowl running around this state!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    we definately need some gray jungle fowl running around this state!
    Naw we don't need that. I'll take care of that problem with my bow the next time they show up.

Not sure what went wrong in the cooking, but turkey is kinda like halibut in that it is tough to screw it up, but I guess it can be done. You said you cooked the legs in with the breasts? That would be a big pot of goolash you're cooking up. Turkey breasts are a good couple pounds a piece. Must've been pretty hungy. If you have any breast left over, cut it in strips across the grain, 1/2" thick or so. Then bread it and fry it for not too long. You just barely want it done. The easiest way to screw up most things is to overcook it. Just a thought to give it a try if you have some left.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Strange isn't it! It won't be long and ADF&G will establish a spring hunt and we will be talking about camo, calls and shot guns!
    .....and next thing you know........it'll go to DRAW only!!!

I heard news the other day that the national turkey federation is working with the state to introduce turkeys. Sounds like it will just be a matter of time before we start seeing turkeys transplanted throughout the state.

Question What?

Am I missing something here? Intentionally introducing a non-native species sounds like a horrible idea to me. Seems like, at best, they'd fail to take hold. At worst, they'd establish themselves and start pressuring native species and/or have unforeseen impacts on local ecosystems.

No one has said if the birds were intentionaly released. Yes I agree it's a bad idea to release non-native animals, but what about elk? Or Muskox? Muskox were hunted out in alaska. The herd we have now was shipped in from Canada. Oh yeah I almost forgot about bison. They were shipped in from canada or the states(I can't remember which), and there is current talk of introducing wood bison. How many lakes and rivers are stocked with non-native fish?

So indroducing non-native game species is not a new concept in alaska, and important questions should be raised every time a new animal is brought to our state. If turkey aren't going to pressure our native game animals, then I'm all for them. If they will pressure grouse....well we've lived without them for this long.

-Eric

Default cooking wild turkey

the best thing i have found is
    throw legs away, and smoke the breast meat.slice up meat and serve with cheese or make sandwich spread much like salmon spread recipies. its good.I have a freind that puts the whole bird in a deep fryer.It was dry tasting. I was hunting this morning in michigan and missed a nice boss with my bow. 17 yards 2 inches under head but off to right by a smidgeon. bummer. I have taken 3 with a bow and over a dozen with a shot gun. This one would have been my first decapitation. I am trying for head shots because i have lost a few with a bow.. they have a tiny kill zone, are tough to hit but a blast to hunt. Turkeys were reintroduced into michigan several years ago and are doing quite fine. I havent heard of them interfering with grouse. I think turkeys in alaska would be a great hunting oppurtunity. I live in northern mich and we have lots of snow and cold weather much like anch. conditions. The only thing that would make the birds tough to adapt to is a lack of mass producing hardwoods such as beech and oaks. But the birds would probably fare well in the valley due to the agriculture there.

Quote Originally Posted by 375JDJ View Post
    .....and next thing you know........it'll go to DRAW only!!!

That's great!

I don't know if I could handle giving money for a turkey draw! Kind of like shooting a larger version of tree chickens (spruce hens)!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast