Thread: RL 19/22 vs H-4831 7x57

Default RL 19/22 vs H-4831 7x57

I am reloading 160 grain bullets for my 7x57. An article in Hanloader magazine suggested H-4831 in cooler climates and RL 22 where temperatures are more "stable". Could someone explain? RL powders seem to give top velocity whilst keeping pressures safe and work very well in my .270 and 35gibbs. Is there a technical reason why they are less suitable for Northern Climates?

I know RL 19 is great in the .338mag so I imagine it's nothing --- just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by 35gibber View Post
    I am reloading 160 grain bullets for my 7x57. An article in Hanloader magazine suggested H-4831 in cooler climates and RL 22 where temperatures are more "stable". Could someone explain? RL powders seem to give top velocity whilst keeping pressures safe and work very well in my .270 and 35gibbs. Is there a technical reason why they are less suitable for Northern Climates?

I know RL 19 is great in the .338mag so I imagine it's nothing --- just curious.
    That doesn't make sense to me maybe I missed something.

H4831 is not the best powder for the 7x57 unless using the heaviest bullets are used, because of it's burning rate. RL-22 is in the same category. Neither of these exhibits any velocity variation greater than 20 fps until temps get colder than -25F. I have fired them both at temps in the 90's and both are very stable.

However RL-19 is probably the best powder for the 7x57 regardless of bullet weight. H4350 is also very good. This case has the same capacity to bore diameter as the 30-06 and powders good for one are good for the other.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thats why I asked, I have had good results with IMR 4350, but wanted to try RE19 as I have a tub I use for .270 and thought it might do well with the 160s

The statement regarding H4831 and re22 was made in the most recent Handloader magazine and I wondered if anyone knew what they were talking about.

Mine likes IMR 4350 for the 160 and 150 grain bullets.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Handloader

Some claim loads utilizing RL 22 can drop 150 fps in colder temps. I think much of this depends on the application one is using RL 22 in, but cannot verify, never used the stuff.

I shoot a .280, very similiar to the 7X57 except a little more case capacity. RL 19 has worked very good in the 140 weights, and H4831 in the 150's. the 4350's worked good, but not as good. Havent tried 160's yet.