Thread: Hows your Freeze up?

Default Hows your Freeze up?

Well, I gota say my Freeze up is still in progress, here on the Kobuk.

So far, we have thin ice, Ice thats dropping (it was flood level at freeze up) and holes hear and there with enough snow on it so's you cant seee whats going on under you. Thats not too unusual, as freezup gos, and staying home is the best way to stay alive.

We found thick enough ice to strech a net under and scored 60 or so fish a day for about 10 days and were stocked full of Caribou right now, so the need to go out is minimal.

My firewood is stacked and with the renovation and weatherizing of the house this summer, were feeling hot n toasty with two fires a day.
    Im thinking of a Moose, but we had flood stage waters this summer, which thourley drove the Moose, Rabbits and such away from their homes in the riverside willows, and since we are leary of the river right now, going out to other places just isnt a good idea yet..........Im sure to find something good when the Freeze freezes and I can haul a load home.........at least some wood if not a Moose.

Lotta Fox around this year, though I havent caught any ~~LOL!!~~ but I have set a couple sets as the City is offering 40$ for each Fox caught in an effort to thwart Rabies, which is a common disease here. I moved them yesterday and again today, with the powdery snow and all.......The 40$ makes it worth doing and we get to keep the skin Im sure they are keeping the Rabbits from makeing a reapperance, but theres alotta them in the trash at night and they are Fat. Its hard to offer them something as bait or set a snare, they just go everywhere ~~LOL!!~~

I did go for a ride to confirm how crappy it was out there and broke off my front undercarriage shock in the roughness.......oh well, I saw two Gray Wolves, but they were 1/2 way across the river by the time I saw them, ............and I had no rifle, no bag, 1/2 a tank of gas, and no nothing for the sake of weight, in case I had to skip water, I wasnt hunting at all...... one bend up from town, but not yet shiney and "Prime" so it was a nice sight , but not a loss. Driveing with the ice chunks and frozen mud with sandpaper like quality blown and frozen out across the ice , I found myself over heating 4 times on my return home. Oh well, there was still open places and no snow enough to cool my liquid cooled ride, I have sleds to build now, and when traveling gets good around Thanksgiving, Ill be off 'Vacation ' and back at it, and I cant wait,(!!!!!!!!!!) Freeze ups almost solid, just need some snow and a tankfull of propellent to scoot scoot scoot

Well thats my freezeup , how yers?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Well thats my freezeup , how yers?
    Thin ice in spots. Wet snow all day long today now turned to snain and mush. Some ponds are frozen but the ice can be thin and spotty in places.

Fbks area had below 0 cold in Oct. Freeze up is pretty good on lakes and sloughs. Scouted out a cow moose spot but haven't been successful yet.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

spent a few days FLying over 20A... lots of open water still on the rivers, and some of the clear streams. ponds are hard enough to land on though. with plenty of fresh snow to fill in the holes on the western end..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Lotta Fox around this year, though I havent caught any ~~LOL!!~~ but I have set a couple sets as the City is offering 40$ for each Fox caught in an effort to thwart Rabies, which is a common disease here. I moved them yesterday and again today, with the powdery snow and all.......The 40$ makes it worth doing and we get to keep the skin Im sure they are keeping the Rabbits from makeing a reapperance, but theres alotta them in the trash at night and they are Fat. Its hard to offer them something as bait or set a snare, they just go everywhere ~~LOL!!~~

?
    Did the village get a grant to finance that? Either way, that's a sweet deal. Those urban fox will be worth nearly as much as a marten!

And to think all the fox me and Culley caught around Nome for FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I posted some pics of conditions here on the trapping forum:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ly-season-pics

-35 right now, gotta go mark an airstrip to get a Helio in here for resupply, bummer that the closest (flat) spot to land on the river this year is a bit more than a mile away. Ice measurement I did for NOAA first of Nov had ice at 8" thick. Still a few open leads in some rapids, but very small and they will all likely close up after this latest cold spell. Gotta say I am not liking -35...and it's only just begun <boo hoo>.

Come and listen to a story about a man named Mark
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
    Then one day he was shootin at some food,
    And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Mark 's a millionaire,
    Kinfolk said "Mark move away from there"
    Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"
    So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Mark and all his kin.
    And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
    You're all invited back a gain to this locality
    To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

I donno where the City got the $$ for such, but Im happy enough its offer'd.

Seems one fella in peticular has 4 so far, and he wants his mom n me to scrape and strech em..... Nice and Cherry, but not yet 'prime' these guys would be easy sewing for little girls fingers and some learning.........so what would I charge the Son? ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....