Thread: treating an 8x8 hem fir post

Default treating an 8x8 hem fir post

I have this post in the center of my cabin. Not a gorgeous piece of wood, some splits and a lot of knots. O orbital sanded it with 60 grit the 120. I want to put as clear a finish on this as possible. Like the way it looks when we wipe it with a damp rag so a look like that would be great. Don't really need it glossy. Some people are advising Thompson's water seal. Put some supposedly clear min wax poly on it but it looked really brown . Anyone have other ideas.

Let it soak in a bunch of oils first and then urethane
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Outside use Timberflex from SBS.

Inside use Minwax, 3 coats, use fake steel wool between coats.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If you put a sanding sealer on it before you put on the urethane, the urethane won't turn it dark.

spar varnish. still the best.

If you want a crystal clear finish and the post is inside your cabin, you can use something like Deft's Waterbourne clear wood finish. It will not darken like oil based finishes and cleans up with a damp rag.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Boiled linseed oil or tongue oil, or Henry's wood treatment - just used some of this to top coat some stained oak and it looks great. The nice aspect of these products is the ability to 'freshen up' the wood with a re-coat....just be very careful with the oil soaked application rags or...poof

Quote Originally Posted by akjam View Post
    If you want a crystal clear finish and the post is inside your cabin, you can use something like Deft's Waterbourne clear wood finish. It will not darken like oil based finishes and cleans up with a damp rag.
    I most see everyone is recommending oil based products, which will darken the wood and cause it to turn an amber color with age. That's the look I prefer too, but not what you asked for. If you want a clear coat that will not amber with age, the water based clear poly is the way to go, just as akjam has recommended above. It will hold the unnaturally clean just sanded look you want better than anything else.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Oil products don't darken wood. UV light does. Most people like the tone of aging wood. If you don't, make sure your coating has UV blockers. Most exterior grade varnishes have UV stabilizers in them. Interior varnishes do not.

I figured with the splits the wood needed some oil or moister before sealing
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My vote would be for a water based poly if you want to stay as close to the natural color of the wood as possible. They don't yellow, cleanup easy, and you can get them with UV inhibitors. You can get a satin sheen if you don't want it real glossy.

I recommend an old tried and true product, danish oil finish, natural color, Deftoil brand. Deftoil is a superior product to Minwax but they didn't market it as well, so Minwax is more popular.

An organic recipe that would works great for gardening projects is:

Melt 1 oz. of paraffin in a double boiler. Remove from heat. Stir the melted paraffin into 3 1/2 qts of turpentine. Stir 1/2 cup of linseed oil into the paraffin-turpentine mixture. Brush on and leave in natural state, no varnish or additional sealer needed.

NOTE: mix a small batch and try on scrap of same wood, allow to dry to check if you agree with any color changes