Thread: Yes! Getting Close, Bear load

Default Yes! Getting Close, Bear load

Well, I am getting close in developing hunting loads for the 30-06 that will knock big stuff down. I am at the moment getting close to finishing my 200gr load as you will see in the photo that follows. As for the 200gr load all I have to do now is shoot two 5 shoot groups between to different loads to finally settle on one. The following 3 shoot group is one of the loads that I will shoot in the 5 shot test group (my breathing really messed up this group causing me to string the shots but we all have those days) and the other load is the same as below but with 54gr IMR4350 and then I will compare the winner of this test to the Woodleigh 200gr Protected Point using same powder charges and compoents.

This is 52.8grs IMR4350, Fed.210 primer, Win Brass trimed to 2.494, Sierra 200gr SBT (these were all weighed and were 100th of one grain with in each other, for the most part they weighed the same). O.A.L. 3.320.

I have coming from Woodleigh a box of 240gr Protected Points developed for the 30-06 and in my conversation with Mr. McDonald, he said, "Obviously you are quite experienced Mike, so I have no hesitation in commending the 240gr for the 30-06. I have personally shot quite a few buffalo and camels with this combination, with complete satisfaction. Probably no need for the solids in your follow up shots."
    Regards, Geoff McDonald
    WOODLEIGH BULLETS
    PO Box 15, Murrabit, VIC, 3579, Australia
    Ph. 61 3 5457 2226
    Fax. 61 3 5457 2339
    zedfield@iinet.net.au
    www.woodleighbullets.com.au

when I do finish my deveopment of the the 200gr round for deer, hog, Elk and black bear I will report the results of what bullet and load shot best. Also when I finish working up an accurate load with good velocities for the 240gr big bear load with safe pressures I will report that also.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Hey, while am still in a stage to consider another powder that you believe could give me 2600 plus with 200gr and 2300plus with 240gr in a 30/06 please let me know or suggest it. I would prefer that you have had experience loading the powder behind a 200, 220,240 or 250gr bullet than for you to give a theory or a load you read about. thanks just beartooth.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Why the Sierra bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Why the Sierra bullet?
    The Sierra bullet in 200gr is of sufficent construction at 30-06 veloscities to go in one side and out the other of a deer, elk, hog, or black bear. I have never had this bullet fail, come apart or fragment due to weak construction at 30-06 velocities. In fact I have never recovered one and that is on deer and large hogs even out to 275yds on a large hog. Plus I can match the velocity to get it to work with my Boone and Crockett scope on all the marks that Leupold set up for the 180gr bullet at 200, 300, 400, 450, 500. It wades the wind, opens up good whether up close or far off. Perfect for the 30-06 and it shoots great in my Kimber 8400 Montana.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Did you get a chance to chronograph this load? It looks good for accuracy. Any pressure signs?
    I wonder how the Sierra would do, or not do,,, trying to go through a brown bear's skull.
    I have my doubts.

For a short range stopper I tend to gravitate towards the flat or round nose solids, bonded or partitions.
    Or my 650 grain hardcast Postal style 50-90 loads.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Did you get a chance to chronograph this load? It looks good for accuracy. Any pressure signs?
    I wonder how the Sierra would do, or not do,,, trying to go through a brown bear's skull.
    I have my doubts.

For a short range stopper I tend to gravitate towards the flat or round nose solids, bonded or partitions.
    Or my 650 grain hardcast Postal style 50-90 loads.
    Chrono's at 2631fps on average, and no it would not go through Brown bear's skull. This is a load only for deer, elk, hog, and black bear. I will be developing a load with the 240gr Woodleigh Protected Point for Big Bears. Oh, my other load (with Sierra 200gr SBT) that I will be testing with a five shot group against this load uses the same bullet but it is averaging 2678fps. Also, going to be developing a 200gr Protected Point Woodleigh bullet using same powder loads as the two that shoot the Sierra and see how accuracy is with the 200gr Protected point.
    Last edited by beartooth; 05-01-2007 at 21:21.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am with Float Pilot on this one, I wouldn't mess with any deer, elk, hog bullet up here. I find that picking a good bonded or solid hunting bullet gives you greater confidence across the scales no matter what crosses your path. Its like going to Kodiak to hunt blacktails, it aint gonna happen without at least thinking a little about brown bears. I favored that 30-06 I used to have with 180 grain A-Frames moving about 2700 fps it never didn't knock down what I shot. I am not fond of any of the fragmenting bullets for our game up here, cuz the shot might not be a perfect one but the one you have to take, with that thought the A-Frames, TBBC's, and TSX's rock!

I hope the price isn't the reason your going with the Sierra SBT's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I am with Float Pilot on this one, I wouldn't mess with any deer, elk, hog bullet up here. I find that picking a good bonded or solid hunting bullet gives you greater confidence across the scales no matter what crosses your path. Its like going to Kodiak to hunt blacktails, it aint gonna happen without at least thinking a little about brown bears. I favored that 30-06 I used to have with 180 grain A-Frames moving about 2700 fps it never didn't knock down what I shot. I am not fond of any of the fragmenting bullets for our game up here, cuz the shot might not be a perfect one but the one you have to take, with that thought the A-Frames, TBBC's, and TSX's rock!

I hope the price isn't the reason your going with the Sierra SBT's.
    You guys have miss under stood me. The Sierra bullet is not for alaska it is for down here where I hunt deer, hog, elk, and black bear. when I go to Alaska I will not be using the Sierra but an A-Frame if it is a 200gr load, or a Woodleigh 240gr bullet that has proved itself on baffalo in africa and austraila.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Ohhh, sorry I didn't know you were from down south.

Ohhh, sorry I didn't know you were from down south.
    please do not hold that against me, because if I could move to Alaska I would do it today. I hunt in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arizona most of the time do also hunt over seas, but have hunted in Tenn. Tex, Fla, Ala,Ill,Ark,Ok,Col,New Mex, Ken,North Car.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Wont hold it against you (totally <grin>) but that explains your bullet choice. Good luck with it.

Wont hold it against you (totally <grin>) but that explains your bullet choice. Good luck with it.
    Yes it does, but as I have said I am trying to set up a brown bear hunt for me in Alaska and doing the research to see the possibilities. If I get it set up and I do go to hunt Big Black or Brown in Alaska, I asure you it will be a bonded bullet or one that has been developed for tough game.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    please do not hold that against me, because if I could move to Alaska I would do it today. I hunt in Mississippi, Louisiana, Arizona most of the time do also hunt over seas, but have hunted in Tenn. Tex, Fla, Ala,Ill,Ark,Ok,Col,New Mex, Ken,North Car.
    Ah, I thought you were from up here. My bad. You had no location in your profile and your handle name led me to believe you were living up here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Ah, I thought you were from up here. My bad. You had no location in your profile and your handle name led me to believe you were living up here somewhere.
    No my handle has to do with my love of hunting a bear (so far only black) and I really want to hunt a brown.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Wink spooky

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Let me get this straight? You sound like you're from here, say you're from down under, but a lot of your hunting is done in the south & midwest. Are you a spook? Couldn't resist this BT. Thanks,ciao.

Default Getting Close Bear Loads

I am a fan of the A-Frame too. I used a 300 win mag, 200 gr swift A-Frame to drop a huge moose with one shot. Right between the eyes.

The guide was bugging me the entire hunt about the importance of dropping the animal in his tracks. He kept preaching about its only fair to the animal to make a humane kill. He wanted a head shot or a neck shot. I think he was more concerned about how far off the road the bull could run if he wasn't dropped and all the extra work that would follow retrieving the animal.

I think he was giving his typical guide speach, thinking I was an inexpereienced hunter and needed to know all his thoughts and experience. No problem, you can learn something from everyone.

We just smiled at each other when the bull dropped in its tracks and didn't twitch an ear.

I said, a hunter should always do what his guide ask, The guide just kept grinning and asking me over and over, where did I shoot it?. He was right and I had my moose. Win, Win.

I wanted to give him something to talk about with all his future clients. I got to hear about all his past clients. Its only fair.

A-Frames. Use'em.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KatzMO View Post
    I am a fan of the A-Frame too. I used a 300 win mag, 200 gr swift A-Frame to drop a huge moose with one shot. Right between the eyes.

The guide was bugging me the entire hunt about the importance of dropping the animal in his tracks. He kept preaching about its only fair to the animal to make a humane kill. He wanted a head shot or a neck shot. I think he was more concerned about how far off the road the bull could run if he wasn't dropped and all the extra work that would follow retrieving the animal.

I think he was giving his typical guide speach, thinking I was an inexpereienced hunter and needed to know all his thoughts and experience. No problem, you can learn something from everyone.

We just smiled at each other when the bull dropped in its tracks and didn't twitch an ear.

I said, a hunter should always do what his guide ask, The guide just kept grinning and asking me over and over, where did I shoot it?. He was right and I had my moose. Win, Win.

I wanted to give him something to talk about with all his future clients. I got to hear about all his past clients. Its only fair.

A-Frames. Use'em.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO
    Got one for my 30-06 now and will be working on one for my 300WBY mag when it gets here. Will be taking both l think when I hunt and having one for a back up in case I drop or some how destroy its ability to be used on the hunt. Yes, A-Frames keep popping up from you hunters who have tried them. Thanks for the story I liked it and I am sure you grinned inside as well. Well time for me to put it between the covers - good night
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS