Thread: Wasilla Sled Builder

Default Wasilla Sled Builder

I saw an ad on Craigslist for an aluminum freight sled and the owner said it was built by "Bad Ass Sleds" in Wasilla. I'm hoping that someone on here knows who builds them. We are looking to have a couple built for our Fire department that will be used for our winter rescue team.
    Here's what it looks like.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/3396533328.html

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Mikes Welding in Sterling

Frontier Fabrication in Wasilla

Greatland Welding in Wasilla.

I couldn't find a business license for the craigslist add.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

There is a guy in the Valley named Fritz and he always has a booth during the State Fair that showcases his 4 wheeler aluminum trailers and his snow freight sleds. That is the guy you want to have build you your sled, they are durable and work very well. I cant recall his business name off hand but it will come to me and I will post for you.

Another great sled builder in Wasilla is Fritz Pleier @ Husky Manufacturing 357-0687 has been at it for 20 years or there abouts has the experience to do the job right.

Perfect. Thanks guys. That is exactly what I'm looking for.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by highlife View Post
    There is a guy in the Valley named Fritz and he always has a booth during the State Fair that showcases his 4 wheeler aluminum trailers and his snow freight sleds. That is the guy you want to have build you your sled, they are durable and work very well. I cant recall his business name off hand but it will come to me and I will post for you.
    We have a couple of his ( Husky Manufacturing ) 4 wheeler aluminum trailers and they are very well made, he also does custom work to meet your specifications.
    "Grin and Bear It"

http://www.huskyfreighters.com/ looks like the guy you are looking for.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Well met up with Fritz today in his shop. Great guy. He showed me several sleds and I think we worked out on paper the layout for the two different sleds we need. Hopefully I'll have two great sleds for our rescue team this winter. Thanks again guys.

Rob
    MMSI# 338232859

I built a big frieght sled like the one in the original post. I made it to carry 5 fuel drums laying on their sides. I've evolved. That sled is a wood hauler, nothing more. It beats the crap out of anything in it. I have much better freight haulers. If I was injured on the ground and somebody shows up with that sled to "rescue" me? I'll tell them to let me die where I lay rather than get beat to death in that glorified culvert sled. If you want a deep snow gear sled get a Siglin. For human transport anything is better than a culvert sled.

Well, I appreciate your concern. And while it's a valid point, we aren't transporting a person for a very long distance. While we are responsible for 3 miles around the airport, take all the roads into account, it will be a mile at the most in a sled. Basically from the woods or swamp around the airport to the road for AFD to pick up in an ambulance. It would be impossible for us to have several options for every situation. However, one sled is going to be set up for backboard transport with a musher stand on the back and the other is going to be setup with removeable dividers carrying hurst tools, medical bags, blankets and other rescue tools. All said, God forbid you go down in a plane from TSAIA, but get ready for a rough ride in our "Culvert Sled", because you are gonna take it whether you like it or not.
    MMSI# 338232859

If you want you can borrow my sled it 32 inchs wide and 8ft long and looked similar to the one you are interested in. Having a sled you can play with will let you work out the problems before you get your own.

If your interested email me.

Thanks. I'll keep you in mind.
    MMSI# 338232859