Thread: residental areas

Default residental areas

last year were i was trapping on one of the trails i take to get there i saw what looked like some one got something stoped my machine to get a good look at what they got it was a lab mix lol snared around the neck un able to make noise at the time but still standing so grabbed my tool pouch and a fish head i use for bait to cut some treats off for her took a hell of alot of time to get her to let me touch her finaly she sat and i cut it off took 45 mins there was no blood but if it was any tighter i couldnt have even cut it off well the lucky pup ran home you could see she was prob pushing ten years old so not a realy dumb dog my only problem with this situation was you can see probly 4 homes with only 300 ft of tree line inbetween and lots around if u go just a bit further your not in no ones back yard and i know of alot of dead end roads that have not a single home near in this area. what i did see as well that did bug me was what his set looked like as well now lynx dont open in my area until dec 15th it was nov 18th this all happend and his set was a ptarmigan wing with snares around it along with a cubby with some whole rabbits and there was multiple peices of birds in trees that is a cat set more than any thing. so first question is that to close to homes if you realy intend on being as humane as possible i do know we have a leash law that states when your dog walks out your door it must be leashed as i have been told so that trapper was in his leagal rites just not to cool in my mind. second question how would most deal with that illegal trapping for lynx i reported it to the troopers only to find out i was getting a ticket for releasing a dog in some one elses trap! i must say it was very hard to be calm and the trooper had no idea what lynx regs were but he did know it was a lynx set. i myself could have illiminated illegal trapping and not got a ticket at the same time but im a nice guy and try to spare from anger but if hes catching all the lynx when its closed the legal dudes get none.

That's one fine pickle right there. You did what was Morally right. There is the letter of the the law and the spirit of the law. It was the trooper's choice to choose the letter of the law. As far as him knowing its a Lynx type set and not knowing the laws/rules well all one has to do is keep a copy of the reg's in their day to day mobile office.

thats what i found was funny i know the regs in my head for the purpose of staying outa trouble and the trooper didnt have no way he said to know lol its his job to know but just so you know what the ticket was it was for theft because i cut a snare! the one on the dog and removed it to the trail with the dog, and it was literaly just bailing wire when i went to court the da said charges are droped sorry

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    thats what i found was funny i know the regs in my head for the purpose of staying outa trouble and the trooper didnt have no way he said to know lol its his job to know but just so you know what the ticket was it was for theft because i cut a snare! the one on the dog and removed it to the trail with the dog, and it was literaly just bailing wire when i went to court the da said charges are droped sorry
    Glad to hear the DA had more of a brain than the trooper, since thats what really counts for you.

For what its worth I would have done the same thing. As far as the lynx cubbie, i'm curious, was the trooper you were talking with a brown shirt (wildlife trooper) or blue shirt (regular)? I suspect it was blue and in that case you should have called in to the office and gotten the number of an actual wildlife trooper. Just my opinion of course.

he was fish and game you mite see him tonight in 17 mins!!! but hey its his job cant argue to much. agreed and thanks limon

Someone successfully snared my dog at a pullout for the Slide mountain/John lake trail head (mile 139.9 Glenn Hwy). She was in the snare for 2 days before I found and released her. I would sure be mad if I were to get a ticket for releasing my own dog. I left a note for the snare owner but apparently they did not want to discuss the issue with me.

Some people really need to be educated on the ethics of trapping. Besides that, you have a high possibility of having your gear and game stolen in a high traffic area like that.
    -Caleb-

this year the few sets i put near the house i made sure to spend day after day walking and looking for tracks had not and still not seen dog tracks so i set my self up a lil area and i can check my traps with out even going into the woods so i look in the morning and night rite before dark to be sure i havent gotten a dog one thing i have learned is you can pretty much find a solution to anything when you use your head and can limit or stop errors its a bumber but we all got to get along even if some ones screwing up on either side wich makes very nice to comunicate and come up with a solution and sounds to me were your dog was caught the guy was looking to just get his gear messed with if it was just off the pull off there. ethics are very important the sportsman all ready gets enough crud from some of the groups out there and we dont need to loose more rites as its allways a possability today