Thread: Ptarmigan/Grouse Hunt

Default Ptarmigan/Grouse Hunt

Hello I'm in need of some advice I'm looking to go get some grouse/ptarmigan for Thanksgiving the wife don't care to much for turkey the only problem is I have not been able to locate any at All !!! Dose anybody have any ideas of maybe a location close or semi close to Anch Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys

I am NOT aspiring to be rude, however to answer your question: "Dose anybody have any ideas of maybe a location close or semi close to Anch. Any information would be greatly appreciated" the answer is Yes. Now my question to your Sir is why should someone give this top secret information to you.....???

Ptarmigan will be well above timberline, in the willows. The Grouse will be below the timberline, and early in the AM (Very in the AM) they will be found near sand and gravel deposits, filling their craw. There are a lot of Grouse in the south-central Alaska area.

AGL4now I did not mean to ask for Top Secret local.. just wanted a general area not looking to move on anyone's prize cache of bird's

Well, I gave you 100% of all you need to know to harvest those birds.

You go up to Flattop Mt. above Anchorage and walk the powerline or in the brush near the powerline for 4 hours you should flush 4 to 12 birds in a 4 hour walk. Good hunting to you. And I told you I was not trying to be rude, now days there are 6, Million hunters in the Anchorage area.

No, do not go up to Flattop looking for birds - unless all you want to do is look. There are areas open to hunting near Anchorage, but read the regulations carefully - then read them again. Legal areas near town are relatively few, which is the reason that people are relatively tight-lipped. Find an open area, then look for habitat like that described above.

A few decades past I read such information as provided here (though it was a paperback booklet then); http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...unting.species . After reading and understanding I then found roads that provided access to areas that have such habitat as needed to support the desired bird specie(s) I was after and put my boots on the ground . Getting out there and putting some time into exploring will yeild a wealth of knowledge and opportunity, or not, bare in mind the birds are where you find them on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    No, do not go up to Flattop looking for birds - unless all you want to do is look. There are areas open to hunting near Anchorage, but read the regulations carefully - then read them again. Legal areas near town are relatively few, which is the reason that people are relatively tight-lipped. Find an open area, then look for habitat like that described above.
    Brian, when did they close that to hunting.....??? It was open "AFTER" Labor Day for shotgun and rimfire........

Uhh yeah, if you want a big ticket and fine, go to Flattop with a shotgun or rifle. Try Indian Cr. trailhead and go up for legal bird hunting. Good luck sir.

Flattop is located in ares 3 of 14 C and small game summery states" falconry only"

So went out to the flats this morning did not even see a sign of a hare ... going to try for Indian CR. tomorrow or maybe hatchers pass for some grouse

grouse are pretty tough to find this time of year, almost in there winter hibernation mode, there out there though. you might have better luck going high for ptarmigan

take your .22 and go out by the airport in anchorage i think its called point warzonoff? or something or kincade park and go to the bluff areas at dawn or dusk. youll find um.
    Semper Fi!

It seems east of powerline you would be in area 5 of 14c not sure how far east though

I'm lookin for some top secret spots in Wasilla. Prefer not to drive more than 15 minutes.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed