Thread: 454 holster

Question 454 holster

I picked up a Ruger 454 Alaskan while up in Anchorage, it will be a back up gun when I'm hunting. I'll typically be carrying a pack and could be in raingear. Any suggestions on how I should be carrying this revolver?

I leave Anchorage this weekend and hope to buy something here.

thanks

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up Ruger 454

I use an Uncle Mike's verticle shoulder holster (no scope). I am a little short so I had to modify the way the straps go over your shoulders, but it ended up being easy to carry. (AND CHEAP)
    I was able to carry it with my pack frame and still keep it within reach.

Default Holster

You may want to check this out for a long term solution.

http://www.enter.net/kart/kart.pl?ac...yodercustomlea

Here's a local guy in Eagle River who (by the looks of it) makes some pretty awesome stuff. Custom orders and whatnot. Check him out and let us know

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

Support the local guy!

Default Support the local guy.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Here's a local guy in Eagle River who (by the looks of it) makes some pretty awesome stuff. Custom orders and whatnot. Check him out and let us know

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

Support the local guy!
    I agree with that!

Default 454

Just bought a hoster for my 454 alaskan from Rob http://www.simplyrugged.com/ out in the valley. He makes some AWESOME stuff that will last a life time. Little bit of a wait, but all good things..... Nathan

Thumbs up Johnston

I recently bought one of Dave Johnston's holsters for my Raging Bull 454. It is very well-made, and very secure. The main feature I like, beyond local made, is that I can adjust it from a "classic" shoulder holster (out of the way for hiking/bowhunting) to a chest carry to deconflict it from a heavy pack full of game.

I haven't had the chance to carry a pack full of meat with it yet, but I'm very confident it will work great. Mine came with a camo finish on the leather - was actually less expensive, and lighter (thinner leather).

Great guy with whom to do business!

I use this one and you can get it at Sportsman's Wearhouse.

http://www.alaskasportsmanproducts.com/

Default Thanks

for all the good advise, I picked up the one at Sportsman. Nice looking holster.

kingfisherktn

When I was at the Sportman's show, David had a small booth and had a new chest carry holster on display. It is not on his website it is so new. IMHO it is better than any of the other chest holsters out there.

I have a Blackhawk tactical holster for the Redhawk 44 and it takes two hands to draw the weapon due to the retention system. I almost lost a rod down stream once when I had to draw the gun a few summers ago. Two hands is not the way to go.

Davids new chest holster is a retention holster much like police rigs with an adjustable rubber bumper to grip the trigger gaurd of the pistol. It you spend a bunch of time upside down then you have a gun slinger hammer loop to add to it.

The shoulder and chest straps are much like the tachical gear and adjustable with short pieces of webbing. He has some standard sizes and shapes available, but my short Redhawk will have to be custom.

Use David Johnson and never look back!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I picked up a Ruger 454 Alaskan while up in Anchorage, it will be a back up gun when I'm hunting. I'll typically be carrying a pack and could be in raingear. Any suggestions on how I should be carrying this revolver?

I leave Anchorage this weekend and hope to buy something here.

thanks

kingfisherktn
    I just ordered a holster from Simplyrugged.com in Alaska for my Alaskan. But it's going to take a little longer than you got to get it finished. I would find something that fit a Super Redhawk that you liked and cut off the bottom of the holster. Not sure whats available. sorry.

Default .454 carry

I normally carry mine in an Uncle Mikes shoulder rig, and when I am fishung, I have a chest holster. I lie the Uncle Mikes holsters. They are durable, cheap and nearly bulletproof. I have a shoulder rig for my Contender pistol and one for my .44 Magnum Redhawk that are nearly 20 years old. They are as good now as when I bought them. They have had a lot of use and abuse in Alaska, and held up nicely.

I have a Bianchi hip holster for my .45ACP Commander that is only about 12 years old, and is just plain worn out. The stitching is coming apart and the snap on the hammer retaining strap is gone.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???