Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear attack near Sterling today

Default Bear attack near Sterling today

Two trappers were attacked by a bear today near Sterling. One had ripped clothes but no injuries the other has been flown to Prov. No other info at this time.

I sure want to read what happened.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I thought our local paper would have the story. Anyone know any more on this ?

I haven't heard a thing about it......wonder if it will be in the paper, or on the radio tomorrow...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Hmmm.... so late in the year too. Black or brown I wonder... and what the circumstances were.

I found evidence of several bears still out prowling around when I set traps yesterday. I usually don't count on them denning up until early December. Hope this story has a happy ending.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    I found evidence of several bears still out prowling around when I set traps yesterday. I usually don't count on them denning up until early December. Hope this story has a happy ending.
    I was a little spoked tracking a wounded coyote saturday morning and then carrying it back, seems it was warranted, thanks for the insight on timing akmac.

Don't know if this is gospel, but I heard the trappers ran into a sow with a cub in the "Kenai Keys" area off the Kenai River, in the Sterling area. One trapper was making a set and looked up to see a brownie coming fast at him from about 20 yds. away. He started hollering, but was still attacked as his buddy came to his aid. Neither had a firearm, but the sow turned and took off after the other trapper, whose pants were ripped as the bear swatted at him and ran off. The first guy got chewed up pretty good and he was medi-vac'd to Anchorage, where he should survive his injuries. Hope he makes a complete recovery. Folks out trapping or beating the brush, should still be packing for bear; at least for now.

I wonderedd if the bear came to eat something out of his trap. Sow must be hungry to still have the cubs out. Seeing bear tracks along the trapline make the little dispatch 22 feel extra small and glad it don't happen much.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Bear attack near Sterling today

Quote Originally Posted by Trapak View Post
    Don't know if this is gospel, but I heard the trappers ran into a sow with a cub in the "Kenai Keys" area off the Kenai River, in the Sterling area. One trapper was making a set and looked up to see a brownie coming fast at him from about 20 yds. away. He started hollering, but was still attacked as his buddy came to his aid. Neither had a firearm, but the sow turned and took off after the other trapper, whose pants were ripped as the bear swatted at him and ran off. The first guy got chewed up pretty good and he was medi-vac'd to Anchorage, where he should survive his injuries. Hope he makes a complete recovery. Folks out trapping or beating the brush, should still be packing for bear; at least for now.
    This is correct, talked to a buddy of mine that had spoken to a mutual friend that had spent the night in the hospital with the trappers wife. Also Duckdon and Halohandler were at bings when they were at the launch headed to the hospital. The one guy was chewed up pretty bad, nose hanging by strings, scalp peeled back. All stitched up he could of been mistaken for frankenstein. Hope he recovers ok from it and we all are reminded about the dangers of living in AK!

on chichagoff one winter i saw bears out in late december it does not surprise me too much that they are still kickin around with the somewhat mild start to winter weve had,.. hope the dude makes a full recovery

talked with folks from the keys not too long ago and it seems there has been quite a few troublesome bears hanging out there.. It would be nice to see some get tagged but problem is a lot have been sows with cubs.. Sure wish the best for this fellow...
    I was heading down to do a little preditor calling so I think I will use a 416 instead of a varmit round

Not doubting the attack but anyone see any info in local news? I cannot find any stories in the newspaper. If so this attack would be the 13th in AK so far this year by my calculation. Sounds to be a pretty horrific one at that. Hope the victim recovers from his injuries. IMHO the bears should be put down sow with cubs or not. I dont buy this "just doing what bears do bs, there are plenty around that dangerous ones dont need to be protected.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Same deal for people is my thinking.JMOFO

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Same deal for people is my thinking.JMOFO
    LOL! I'm much more nervous driving through Mt. View than I am walking through the woods of a salmon stream.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Supporting Member

In today's Anchorage Daily News online: http://www.adn.com/2012/11/13/269176...ear-kenai.html

As usual, the antis are rooting for the bear and denigrating the trappers. What has happened to this state... or is it just Anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    As usual, the antis are rooting for the bear and denigrating the trappers. What has happened to this state... or is it just Anchorage?
    It is the 6,Million Californians in Los Anchorage.

How in the world can they call the Sterling area "remote"....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

accrossed the river above the killey...not much there but I here ya not really too remote.. I was in there quite a bit this year and they aint kiddin bout the fish..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast