Thread: Denali

Post Denali

All Three with the 1DMkII, 500mmIS, incident exposure no comp.

Springtime in Denali, or maybe its just still late winter by Alaska standards, but at any rate these are 3 more shots I ended up with last weekend.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Sweeeeet!

Sweeeet!

Really nice lighting on all three images.

Better than I did last Sunday. We did a day trip to Denali and got to shoot between snow storms. All in all, we had a great time. Missed a wolf by 20-minutes. It crossed the road and stopped just long enough for a lady to get a few shots.

ARRRRG!

-Eddie
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Very nice photos. Nice and sharp, with a great blurred background (bokeh?)

Default question

First off very nice pictures. Being kinda a beginner with a cheap walmart camera, I have a few questions on how to produce quality work like yours.

1: Is the image that you post pretty much the same image that you see through the viewfinder as far as cropping? What about basic adjustments such as color tone, exposure, contrast, sharpening.
    2: How do you feel about minor photoshop "tweaking" such as removing a small twig or blurring the background a little bit?
    3: RAW or Jpeg or both? If RAW what adjustments do you do when you process a raw image vs. in camera adjustments?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    First off very nice pictures. Being kinda a beginner with a cheap walmart camera, I have a few questions on how to produce quality work like yours.

1: Is the image that you post pretty much the same image that you see through the viewfinder as far as cropping? What about basic adjustments such as color tone, exposure, contrast, sharpening.
    2: How do you feel about minor photoshop "tweaking" such as removing a small twig or blurring the background a little bit?
    3: RAW or Jpeg or both? If RAW what adjustments do you do when you process a raw image vs. in camera adjustments?

Thanks in advance
    1: All of the images I have posted so far are exactly as I shot them as far as cropping is concerned. I shoot stock and having shot for many, many years with slide film I had to get everything right in camera. Cropping or manipulating the shot after the fact was not an option and its a hard habit to break. Although I dont think I would want to break it anyway! As for image adjustments, I consider it a must to get the most out of your image. With slide film you would just pick the type of slide film and add filters to suite the situation. With digital you make all those adjustments after the fact.

2: Once again with film this was not an option so I find myself not taking the shot if there is something wrong with it the majority of the time. I dont like spending all my time behind the computer and just processing the images takes up way too much time already. That being said, I dont really have a problem with it unless it makes the image look fake or really misleads the viewer, and if I saw a once in a lifetime shot and just couldnt take it without things in the way or something I knew I would have to fix after the fact I would still take it! I also think you will find that most of the holyer than though type's of photographers that really put people down for doing any of the above are generally huge hypocrites and really do alot of that anyway. It just makes them feal important or better than you to say that. I havent fully figured that one out yet. I was shooting next to another pro photographer in Canada a few years back and he was telling me how wrong it was to photograph captive animals. He even went so far as to publish an article in a hunting magazine (Bugle) about how other photographers were stooping that low and he wants to keep the wild in wildlife photography. About a year after I talked to him another photographer had photo's floating around of that guy inside a pen in Texas photographing a huge whitetail buck. And if you look through his files he has lynx, cougars, bobcats, badgers, ets and quite a few of them. I can tell you that is nearly impossible to get consistant quality images of animals like that without shooting game farm animals! 99% of any wild cat you have seen in any magazine is a captive animal and a good share of the big deer are as well. Its kind of a shame, but as a photographer selling to these magazine's you just cant compete unless you do it. I could tell you alot more that would really make alot of people's jaw's drop at how some photographers get those "cover" shots!

3. I shoot 100% Raw and have since a few months after I picked up my first digital. You just dont have enough control over the image if you dont shoot raw. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, just shoot me an e-mail.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thumbs up Well Said!

Interesting/Excellent read!

All I can say is Amen on all accounts!

-Eddie
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"