Thread: Up coming duck club meeting nov 14th

Default Up coming duck club meeting nov 14th

Up Coming Duck Club meeting:

I have been working with Bob aka AKduckman and Hugh aka Duckhunter01 on trying to put together a club so we can have an organization here in Alaska and increase the voice of us interested in preserving ducks and duck hunting for future generations.

In researching this, Hugh came across on the internet an existing club, the Alaska Waterfowl Association (AWA). At first we thought this club was inactive, but after further digging, we discovered that the club is very much active with quite a few members, but only about 6-8 really active members that attend their meetings. Most of their members are older men. The club President, Shaun Jenson, is middle aged I guess and really wants to get some young blood in the club and move it to the next level (so far undefined). The club is already formed and organized, and has all the paperwork done for a non-profit organization. It has a lot going for it. There are no debts or liabilities that I am aware of. I am attaching to this an edited email from the president telling us the history of the club and a little more about it. They are currently involved in youth hunting education and have a yearly youth shoot at Birtchwood. Shaun and a couple other members will be at our meeting next week at Pizzaman (11/14/12) and will answer questions and tell us more about their club. Shaun has expressed interest in getting involved in other projects to enhance waterfowl habitat in
    Alaska.

The 3 of us that have been working on this club project have been sending emails back and fourth and discussing the situation. What we think we should consider doing is rather then forming our own club, we may be better off joining the existing AWA club. With what we know so far, this is our recommendation. Of course, we need to listen and ask more question of Shaun Wednesday night, but if everything looks good, joining and enlarging this pre-existing club may be the best road to follow. I want to emphasize that there is no big rush on making a decision here, also, no decision is binding. Some of us could join the AWA and a few months down the road decide it is not for us, and still start our own organization. But for now, we would like to be open minded to this idea, it will be the main topic at our upcoming meeting. Hope to see you all there, hoping for a great turnout, even from independents not interested in a club, but want to keep in the loop on what is going on.

Agenda, proposed Duck Club formation meeting, 11/14/2012

6-7 PM: social hour, meet and greet among prospective members, name tags, signup sheet for those attending. Order food and refreshments to consume during meeting.

7PM: Call meeting to order

• Request for volunteer to take minutes of meeting (I will have paper pad and pen). Minutes will be emailed to each member who leaves email address on signup sheet and those not in attendance that provide email info.
    • Introduction, each person present to give brief introduction.
    • Purpose of meeting. Possible discussion of groups, goals and goals of club.
    • Introduction of Shaun Jenson to tell us a little about AWA

Shaun can pass out membership applications if desired

• Discussion of pros and cons of joining AWA as opposed to forming our own club. If consensus seems to be towards forming our own club, will discuss need for officers to be nominated and elected at Jan meeting and ask for volunteers for possible positions at this meeting as well as at Jan meeting.
    • Very brief discussion of 2 projects suggested by Joe Meehan for this spring if there is interest. 1) There is a area just over the RR tracks from the reflection lake exit that had been set up with nest boxes etc for waterfowl some years ago, that needs to have brush removed and cleared for better waterfowl access to wetlands and nest box. 2) Building and setting in place nest boxes for waterfowl on Duck Lake and/or surrounding areas. This would also involve monitoring these nests for use by waterfowl and possible reproduction of waterfowl records..
    Wasilla

Default Up coming duck club meeting nov 14th

See you there.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I coming too!

In as well, see ya'll there.

See y'all on Wednesday!

Do they have a website?
    Can't make this meeting, but hope to make ones in the future.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Do they have a website?
    Can't make this meeting, but hope to make ones in the future.
    http://akwaterfowl.com/

the website need to be updated, but you can subscribe there to the free newsletter that they send out. i also will send out information on what happens at wednesdays meeting. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud......Is the plan to still meet at Pizza Man in Eagle River or did I miss something? I see the time amd agenda but not the place. Thanks
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Bud......Is the plan to still meet at Pizza Man in Eagle River or did I miss something? I see the time amd agenda but not the place. Thanks
    Don
    Yes, still at Pizzaman, ER. social hour 6-7, meeting 7-9 (maybe later)......and snow won't stop duck hunters.....see you there. Bud
    Wasilla

Cant make this meeting but want to thank the three of you for all the work you have put into making this happen see at the next meeting. Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Thanks. Ill join that club also
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK