Thread: Just a heads up for interior moose hunters.. Dec 12 AC meeting might be a good one

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Just a heads up for interior moose hunters.. Dec 12 AC meeting might be a good one

First.. 20A moose surveys are underway, I spent some time this last week in the back of a super cub, counting moose for the dept as a volunteer, and would have been out today bar, the new snow making everything IFR.. I am also on the volunteer list for unit 20B this year, and it looks like a good thorough survey will be done around the Fairbanks area.

20A will be done in a day or so.. HOPEFULLY our numbers will be ready by the December meeting as the AC's must vote to auth, the ANTLERLESS hunts or not.. by the January meeting..

second.. Dr bill Wall a well respected independent biologist. is supposed to be in AK and going to give a presentation at the December 12th meeting on our moose habitat and bio mass.. as i understand.. as well the AMF will be giving a short bit on the efforts to mitigate moose/highway/railway collisions.. the habitat work planned for the interior and the effort the volunteers are putting into it. I will have more on this later as i get it..

AC meetings are the SECOND Wednesday of each moth through May... at 6:30 pm... at the Alpine Lodge Glacier room , located on Dale road near the airport

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Just a heads up for interior moose hunters.. Dec 12 AC meeting might be a good one

Where can I find em Vince??
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Where can I find em Vince??
    well they were all out in the open.. so it shouldnt be too difficult.. and i seen some SEPCTAKULAR BIG BULLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i am not going to post all.. as it is 12 pages of credentials... but here is a sampler ..

Professional Goal:
    The development of Public/Private partnerships for creating
    sustainable rural communities through the utilization of local forest and wildlife
    resources for energy and food security. This is achieved through biomass utilization
    for energy and abundance management for wildlife and fish.
    Professional Profile:
    With over 30 years of partnership based professional conservation work, Dr. Wall has significant
    experience in planning, developing, and managing complicated sustainable use projects. These
    include biomass energy development, forestry, agriculture and the sustainable use of wildlife
    through hunting that enhances the economic welfare of rural communities and engages private
    landowners in conservation. Dr. Wall initiated his career developing Public/Private partnerships for
    wildlife management in Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Idaho linking large corporate landowners,
    State F&G Agencies and hunters into partnerships which enhanced game population, habitat and
    endangered species management. Dr. Wall has been involved in collaborative efforts to enhance
    science based management “on the ground” and management policy for game species, endangered
    species and biodiversity, working though the Public/Private model proposed by Aldo Leopold in the
    1930 Commission on Game Management.
    Dr. Wall has worked for the past 10 years in Alaska on wildlife management and energy
    development projects in remote Alaskan villages. This has allowed him a full understanding of the
    workings of biomass energy development in remote ecosystems. The process was initiated as a
    Private Lands Wildlife Management Program for moose on private Native Corporate Lands and
    lead to integrated energy and landscape management. His career has given him unique experience
    in working collaboratively within large corporations, Native Corporations, Native Tribes,
    government agencies, and Non Profit Organizations, both domestically and internationally, on
    wildlife management programs and policies. He has had the unique opportunity to develop the first
    community based sustainable energy model for rural Alaska, which is being implemented in Fort
    Yukon.
    Academic History:
    B.S. Wildlife Biology and Management--
    LA Tech University, Ruston, LA, USA 1974.
    M.S. Zoology--
    LA Tech University, Ruston, LA, USA 1982. Thesis Topic: Nesting ecology of
    Barn Swallows in North Louisiana. Adv. Dr. John W. Goertz
    PhD Doctorate of Forestry and Wildlife Management--
    Stephen F. Austin University,
    Nacogdoches, TX, USA 1989, Area of Focus: Wildlife Conservation Genetics and
    Population and Habitat Management. Diss. Topic: Demographic and genetic
    variation in differently managed white-tailed deer populations. Adv. Dr. J. C. Kroll

Professional Career:

Sustainability, Inc. Principal and Owner
    Seeley Lake, Montana, USA. Established November 2008-12

Sustainability, Inc. was established to support wood energy development and community-based
    natural resource management. The goal is to develop a model for community sustainability by
    integrating wildlife management with energy sustainability integrating both renewable and fossil
    fuel based energy sources. Sustainability, Inc. brings together energy development engineers,
    natural resource managers, biodiversity conservation experts, and economic/business development
    experts with rural communities to create a model for local sustainability and enhance local capacity.
    The goal is to support the development of natural resource management systems for promoting
    energy and food security.

2004-2008 Independent Consultant Seeley Lake, Montana
    Key Projects:

Community Based Approach to Sustainable Energy for Remote Alaskan Villages

-2008: Worked with multiple funding agencies and Alaska Village Initiatives and

several remote villages to develop an approach to sustainable harvest of biomass for import
    substitution of diesel fuel. Reviewed equipment and technology for use in villages.
    Managed over $3.0 million in funding from multiple US Agency funding sources including
    USDA, USDOE, NRCS, and USFS.
    Support development of a Snow Leopard Conservation Project in Southern Siberia

2007-2009
    : Worked with Russian Academy of Sciences to support project design and get

equipment for a project to document ranges and population level of Snow Leopards.
    Ecosystem approach to biodiversity conservation in working landscapes in Southern

Siberia, Russia 2006-2009
    : Worked with colleague from Russian Academy of Sciences

and the Ecosystem Management Research Institute (USA) to develop a conceptual program
    for development of a conservation strategy of Biodiversity in Central Siberia outside of
    conservation reserves for application to the Global Environmental Facility.
    Jaguar Conservation Strategy Development in Guatemala, Mexico, and Belize 2004-

: Worked with United for Conservation (Mexico) to implement a Jaguar radio

collaring project in Guatemala and supported the development of a conservation strategy
    and agreement for Guatemala, Belize, and Yucatan, Mexico. Jaguars capture and radio
    telemetry project formed the information basis for the strategy.
    Auditor for Forest Stewardship Council in Alaska 2007-2008. Supported development

of the Southeast Alaska Management Standards. Participated in the review of Sealaska
    forestry program.

Alaska Village Initiatives Anchorage, AK
    2005 to 2007 Executive Director of Village Wildlife Conservation Systems:

Alaska Village Initiatives is a non-profit community development organization focused on
    supporting rural Alaskan Communities. Directed the development of Corporate Lands Wildlife
    Management Program addressing approximately 44 million acres of private Native (Indigenous)
    Corporation Lands in Alaska. The program entails conceiving the methodologies, conducting the
    planning and analysis, developing best management practices and supporting the implementation of
    subsistence based and/or for profit conservation programs for Alaska Native Corporations.
    Evolving from this was the development of a community based sustainable renewable energy

meet on face book here

I've met Dr. Bill Wall, he is the real deal and very experienced in Alaska. He is talking about and what he is looking.

Biomass is a term used to describe forest fuel that uses timber that has had little or no previous economic. These trees include aspen, balsam poplar, cottonwood, cull white spruce and black spruce.

Only cutting the best high value timber for logs & lumber degrades the rest of the forest. Cutting the best & leaving the rest is not goo forest management. Poor cull trees don't improve to become better trees. Cull trees have some value for wildlife but leaving a forest of cull trees isn't good for the long term productivity of the forest.

Firewood is of paramount importance near communities that need it in this current fuel economy. In addition to firewood used for home heating there is great opportunity in many parts of Alaska to develop biomass forestry that better utilizes lower value timber for chips, wood pellets etc. Better timber utilization after harvesting helps prepare the forest to regenerate new healthy trees that many forest wildlife prefer like grouse, moose, hare and lynx/fox.

Utilizing and developing biomass is an excellent opportunity to finally manage our forests and improve wildlife habitat for the future. Using fire killed trees also often works well for producing wood chips & firewood. New trees grow better after disturbance logging when managed properly in the Interior. Disturbance caused by logging in the forest helps regrow less fire prone trees like aspen, poplar, willow and birch. They produce browse and don't burn as fast or furiously as the more flammable spruce.

Biomass in my view is an excellent opportunity we should look in to more fully. Many northern European countries, Canada, Eastern US and places in western US have been doing it. It is green, clean energy with excellent potential in appropriate areas for habitat improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    First.. 20A moose surveys are underway, I spent some time this last week in the back of a super cub, counting moose for the dept as a volunteer, and would have been out today bar, the new snow making everything IFR.. I am also on the volunteer list for unit 20B this year, and it looks like a good thorough survey will be done around the Fairbanks area.

20A will be done in a day or so.. HOPEFULLY our numbers will be ready by the December meeting as the AC's must vote to auth, the ANTLERLESS hunts or not.. by the January meeting..

second.. Dr bill Wall a well respected independent biologist. is supposed to be in AK and going to give a presentation at the December 12th meeting on our moose habitat and bio mass.. as i understand.. as well the AMF will be giving a short bit on the efforts to mitigate moose/highway/railway collisions.. the habitat work planned for the interior and the effort the volunteers are putting into it. I will have more on this later as i get it..

AC meetings are the SECOND Wednesday of each moth through May... at 6:30 pm... at the Alpine Lodge Glacier room , located on Dale road near the airport

Vince

So then, wouldn't that meeting really be on Wednesday, December 14th??? Please advise! See your PM... Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Woodsman View Post
    So then, wouldn't that meeting really be on Wednesday, December 14th??? Please advise! See your PM... Thanks!!!
    unless my calendar is printed wrong... second wednesday of DECEMBER is the 12.. second Wed... of NOV. is the 14th.

meet on face book here

I just spent another full day in the back seat of a supercub, counting moose, and as my understaning follows... 20A is counted.. and 20B is commensing.

personally.. eyes on 213 moose and whom ever says all the big bulls are gone... better look again.. largest well over 65 with 6x7 snow shovle type browtines..

meet on face book here

This coming Wed. is the AC meeting with elections for empty seats on the AC. This wed. is November 14.
    The next meeting will be in Dec. on wed. DECEMBER 12.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    unless my calendar is printed wrong... second wednesday of DECEMBER is the 12.. second Wed... of NOV. is the 14th.
    Vince: Yep, You are right. And so are you too, Martentrapper!

I can read it, even write it, and I still missed it last night! I must of forgot what month it was. Thank you for your kind patience with me!

Heck Vince.......every beer tavern in Delta has a couple guys that consider themselves PHD Biologists.....they give us all sorts of scientific data but like you, when I fly over the same areas, I see a lot of moose......

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Heck Vince.......every beer tavern in Delta has a couple guys that consider themselves PHD Biologists.....they give us all sorts of scientific data but like you, when I fly over the same areas, I see a lot of moose......
    well Vern. Dr Wall has some good recomendations from our Region III staff. so i dont beleive he started in a bar in Delta.

meet on face book here

Hey Vince! Thanks for taking the time and posting the information. Wish I had a little more to give to help my-self. Couple of years down the road!

Keep up the great work.