Thread: varieties of fly line

Default varieties of fly line

I am relatively new to fly fishing and am looking at setting up some light weight equipment to fish for dollies and rainbows. in your experience is there a significant difference in the different brands of fly line. (scientific angler, etc)
    I would like to get fairly good quality but it does not have to be top of the line.
    any insight from all of you avid fisherpeoples?
    thanks

Scientific Angler makes a few different type of lines don't get the ones at Walmart or Freddy's there the cheaper ones while they work they are no where near thier better quality stuff. Your going to pay about $60.00 for a good fly line no matter who makes it. I use Scientific Angler and RIO both. Have had great luck with them. But there is also some other great maufactureres out there as well.

Disclaimer
    My opinions are just that MINE....

Cortland fly lines are hard to beat, in particular the 333 and 444 series lines. Have you decided between wt forward and double taper yet? Send me a PM if you would like a brief run down on line selection.

I'd reccomend going with a WF 6wt line for a 5 wt rod, going up a weight is usually a good idea depending on your rod. Spend the money get a good line, and use kevlar to do up a loop and a bimmini twist to attach the backing, a nail knot doesn't cut it (and if you find a 28 inch bow with a fly line attached in clear creek thats my line)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.