Thread: Making Sausage: Dedicated Sausage Stuffer vs Meat Grinder w/ Stuffer Attachment(s)?

Default Making Sausage: Dedicated Sausage Stuffer vs Meat Grinder w/ Stuffer Attachment(s)?

Which is better for making sausage if your meat is already ground up w/ fat added? Or does it not matter at all?

Thanks for the help,
    Zeb

Default Making Sausage: Dedicated Sausage Stuffer vs Meat Grinder w/ Stuffer Attachment(s)?

Love mine it's a grinder stuffer.

Dedicated stuffer....from lots of experience.
    If you are doing lil 10lb batches occassionally it's one thing. If your doing larger quantities and more than once a year, you'll want a dedicated stuffer. The process goes so much faster, less frustrating, and end product is much better.
    My .02 cents.
    BK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

s t u f f e r ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Several sausage making thread in the pantry forum
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The sausage stuffer/filler will do the job much better zeb. It is generally recognised in sausage making that filling via the grinder will turn out a sub standard product.

A lot of us start off with a tube on the grinder but once a stuffer is tried never go back.

Lot of good reading here...... http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/index.php

Stuffer it is! Now, what stuffer to buy? Can anyone recommend a good one for under $200 or so?

Sambar, thanks for the link! Lots of good info. Thanks for the help everyone!

For under $200. Not a good one. Go down to Alaska Butcher Supply and rent a 25# TSM sausage stuffer. They are a good quality hand crank stuffer with a rack and pinion gear. About on par with the F. Dick stuffers.

They also carry the TSM 15# stuffers that have the screw type press. TSM = Made in the US and heavier gauge stainless than most of the foreign stuff except for your high end german presses like F. Dick.

The screw type are much cheaper with the little ones running in the $200 range. They are more difficult to operate (turn the crank)as well. My nine year daughter can turn the crank on the rack and pinion style.

I don't know if they rent both types but if they do you can compare and see which you like. Use lots of food grade lubricant and mineral oil on everything.

Definitely a stuffer, and get at least a 15 lber, any less doesn't save any money and costs much more time. I'll have to check which one I've got but it was just over 200 bucks plus shipping and is a rack and pinion style....does a great job and doesn't over grind your sausage like a grinder stuffer.

If the cost seems prohibitive, go on with a few folks for it. Or rent it out to buddies once you have it. I borrowed/rented a buddies for years before I moved. I only made it once or twice a year so it worked out for both of us. Plus, he always got a cut of the take.