Thread: Bagley Ice Field

Default Bagley Ice Field

Hi Everyone,

A few of my friends and I are applying for a grant which will pay our way to spend 14 days in the backcountry, uninterrupted. We are all avid backcountry skiers and we have decided that we want to go to the bagley ice field to base camp and spend our 14 days skiing the saint elias and maybe the chugach mountains. Currently, we are trying to find information about the icefield, pinpoint a location for basecamp, and just general information about weather / dangers / etc. I figured maybe one of you guys would have some information or maybe point us to some good sources.

We are all avid backcountry skiers and have a combined hundreds of days logged in the backcountry of Washington and Colorado state (there are three of us), and we all are level 2 ave certified, and we are going to take a crevasse rescue course before heading to the icefield, to give you guys an idea of our knowledge / experience. I have some experience with glacier travel having done some alpine stuff in washington and spending some time bagging peaks in the Andes, but neither of my partners have any experience on ice. We want to push our limits a little bit during our trip, but mostly we just want to explore what looks like an awe inspiring area and get some good turns in, and to have an adventure doing it. Any information would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!

May I suggest you post this same question on www.telemarktips.com. Many knowledgeable Alaskan backcountry skiers on that site.

Will do, thanks for the tip!

Did you get this idea from Jeremy Jones' flick?

Who gives grants for adventures such as this?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks