Thread: Sierra Gamekings and the 270

Default Sierra Gamekings and the 270

Last Christmas I built a rifle for my Lady, so she would have her own instead of commandeering one of mine for hunting trips. Lovely, trim little classic style sporter, built on a commercial Mauser with a Douglas barrel and a stock I whittled out of a decent hunk of Claro. I chambered the 22" #1 contour tube for the plain old vanilla 270WCF. And mounted the only spare scope I had lying around on it, a 1-4 Leupold VX 3. She was ecstatic of course and couldn't wait to shoot it. Well life happened, she got sick and never made it to the range all winter. I had enough time to bring it along on a few range trips and worked up a couple loads that shot well. It really is a forgiving little rifle, shooting any bullet I've fed it really well and having a very consistent POI regardless of weight or brand.
    Spring rolled around and my boss phoned to ask if we would like to come out to the lodge to let her hunt a bear. The clients were tagged out and the bait stations were getting lots of visitors. Normally this would have been a no-brainer but it took some convincing for me to get her to pack her stuff since only a week prior I got to bring her home from the hospital, and she pointed out that she had yet to shoot her rifle. Well I talked her into it and then realized that I had shot up all the 270 ammo I had loaded. After some scrounging in the reloading room I did manage to find 6 rounds loaded with 150gr Gamekings at a book claimed speed of 2600fps. When we arrived we ate a quick bite before heading out for the evening sit, I was a little concerned about the Gamekings, my at that time future wife, but having a short attention span at times mostly the dang Mosquitos that were eating me alive. As it turned out we didn't even have to wait, when I rounded the corner to the blind there stood a mega Cinnamon colored bear on the barrel, looking at me from a later measured 73yds. I crouched down, got her and together we shimmied into the blind to take advantage of the shooting rest. After a wait of about ten hours, or maybe it was five minutes, we had a good angle and I whispered for her to "shoot him in the armpit". Another eternity passed and then BAM!, hair flies, bear is spinning and making racket then it's on the run. Being the good husband to be I was I cut loose a 250 grainer from Ol Colonel Whelen to help, only to shoot a big clump of willows 14" off the muzzle and miss the bear by a good solid 27 feet. Silence, then we hear the telltale BWAAAA! That is the death moan. Awesome bear down with one shot and I helped by cutting a good bundle of kindling, planned it that way.

When we made it to the bruin, after hugs and attagirls I notice the entry and to my surprise exit hole. No giant, gaping, rug ruining hole. And when we get the hide shucker off, no jellied meat, no bullet fragments everywhere. What the heck, this can't be a Sierra, can it? Amazing, and after traversing 3 feet of bear on a quartering to angle. The bullet went in the armpit, and came out the flank leaving a 50cent piece sized exit hole.
    Everything I had ever heard about the Gameking was that it was a very soft bullet not suited to anything bigger than deer. Was it the low speed or are these projectiles just undersold? They are plenty accurate that's for certain.

Anyways, after taking the loooooooong way around the barn I thought I'd ask if anyone has used the hollowpoint Gameking on game? I picked up a box of them today because the price was right, but haven't shot any of the HP style yet. They certainly look more like a varmint bullet than one to be used for big game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Everything I had ever heard about the Gameking was that it was a very soft bullet not suited to anything bigger than deer. Was it the low speed or are these projectiles just undersold? They are plenty accurate that's for certain.
    Mostly it's sale pitch by the guys pimping monos. I've only had trouble with them well inside 50 yards, more like 25. And that with loads exceeding 2800 or so. Your 73 yards and 2600 put it well within the realm of dandy performance.

As for the hollow points, I haven't given them a fair trial. Like you, that hole looks awfully big and counter to large game. But I bet it would be one of the best long range game bullets, out where the monos forget to expand at all.

If you use Sierra hollow points be sure and use Gamekings and not Matchkings as they have thinner jackets and aren't designed for consistent expansion, just quality accurracy.
    Congrats on yor hunting partners bear, and many more.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Grew up shooting Sierra bullets. Great bullets

I have a very accurate load for my 300 WSM using 180 gr Sierra Gamekings producing a velocity of 2995 fps. I've shot moose, sheep, caribou, and grizzly with that load at distances ranging from 50 to 225 yards. While the bullet does shed some weight, it's performed great with very good penetration (some complete pass throughs) and no huge entrance or exit holes. A good performer, excellent accuracy, and relatively cheap. With that said, I've moved to 180 gr Barnes TSX. Don't ask me why, because I can, I guess

Pictures! We need pictures!

Ted

Glory pics from a 300 WSM using 180 Gamekings (2950 fps) - fine performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The caribou was shot at a heavy quartering towards me angle. The bullet hit the shoulder blade and did leave a pretty big entrance hole on that one.

Maybe you wanted pics of the bear shot with the .270? I'm not trying to steal this thread, just sharing my experience using the 180 GKs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had similar results with fairly hot handloads in 300 Win mag. Spike fork moose at 50 yards with a negligible little exit wound, and that one went through the sternum partway. Left about a 1.5" hole.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yeah I was and am quite impressed with the performance of the 150 Gameking, sample of one and all but good nonetheless. I didn't even realize that the 140s I picked up yesterday were the HP version until I got home. I can't find a lot of info out there on their performance, although the general consensus is that the SP version works great.
    I had to borrow the "now Wife'' of this story's computer but I'll see if I can get this pic up. Attachment 65365