Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so what is everyones opinion on the 338 Laupa....

Default so what is everyones opinion on the 338 Laupa....

dont blame me barber8605 brought it up in the other thread..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Better off getting a 338 ultra mag...

It's an overcompensation tool...right Jesse?
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's an extremely expensive tool with which to put holes in paper.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Better off getting a 338 ultra mag...

I actually had a 338-378wby that I dumped.. just never liked how it shot.... started thread to keep this weeks theme going on how many gun/cartridges we can ask about, but I actually do find this an interesting round..

The 338 ultra you can get it in a much lighter platform. In the 700 xcr rifles, get a Wild West brake put on your in buiseness. You can still find brass for it. If I remember right the ultra mag is 50-100 f.p.s behind the lapua. Problem with the lapua if you get a savage you cannot use Hornady brass, majority of guys buying lapua brass. Hornady says they only have this issue in savage rifles. From what I was told hsm brass is lapua brass...

so on a serious note what is it that makes this a good sniper round....besides the obvious case capacity of course.. I would of thought a 30 cal would be better suited.. does anyone actually have on chambered for hunting...

so on a serious note what is it that makes this a good sniper round....besides the obvious case capacity of course.. I would of thought a 30 cal would be better suited.. does anyone actually have on chambered for hunting...
    Look at the bc and sd of a 300gr Berger bullet in the 338...

We weighed my buddy's Savage right after he got it. 14lb without a scope and no ammo in it. Not sure I'd want to pack that pig anywhere. Fun to shoot, though. Kicks like a .243 with that BIG ASS muzzle brake.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Look at the bc and sd of a 300gr Berger bullet in the 338...

hmmm I would say pretty impressive new bullet...

Berger Bullets has just released its new .338-caliber “hybrid” bullet, Berger’s first-ever projectile larger than .30 caliber. The new bullet has a very high ballistic coefficient (BC): 0.891 under the G1 model, and 0.455 under the newer G7 standard for boat-tail bullets. That high BC should translate into exceptional long-range performance. According to Berger, the BC of the new Berger .338 bullet BC is roughly 14% better than the BCs of other .338-caliber 300gr offerings from Sierra and Lapua. This claim is supported by testing done on all three bullets and published in a detailed Bullet Comparison Report (PDF). The new .338 Hybrid bullets will be sold in 50-count and 250-count boxes. To order, call Berger’s Tech-Line, (714) 447-5458

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    We weighed my buddy's Savage right after he got it. 14lb without a scope and no ammo in it. Not sure I'd want to pack that pig anywhere. Fun to shoot, though. Kicks like a .243 with that BIG ASS muzzle brake.

the more I read about it the more I would love to shoot one at lonng range ...paper of course....

Sounds about right for him, seems to me like someone needs to go to the timeout tent
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Only two 1,000 yard ranges in ak, ft rich and ft wainwright. You can set your own up I suppose drive up to unit 13 and go from there.

The 338 Lapua is an inherintly accurate round built on a heavy well balanced platform for long rang shooting. With 250 grn bullets the 338 RUM comes within 50 or so feet in velocity, the 340 Weatherby is a couple of feet faster, the 338-378 is 150 feet faster. If velocity is your desire it may not be the right choice; if long range accurracy is desired it might be a good choice. These are not economic rounds to shoot though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

If you need more than 338winmag go to 375 or 416
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The lapua does operate at a much lower pressures than the ultra mag. As amigo will said if the 338 win mag not enough go up to the 375 or 416

I got one the other day, I posted a pic of it in the shooting forum., after duck hunting in the morning, I plan to shoot it after setting some snares I have 300 gr bullets, after the first box, and break in, I plan to get the 300 gr Berger bullets that bear mentioned, lapua brass and dial it in..,I plan to try it out for spring bear., if I get it dialed in on schedule, and the weather cooperates, thanksgiving I'll be out in pws deer hunting., ill take it with and see how it does,, never know, may see a deer come out to the beach across the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I got one the other day, I posted a pic of it in the shooting forum., after duck hunting in the morning, I plan to shoot it after setting some snares I have 300 gr bullets, after the first box, and break in, I plan to get the 300 gr Berger bullets that bear mentioned, lapua brass and dial it in..,I plan to try it out for spring bear., if I get it dialed in on schedule, and the weather cooperates, thanksgiving I'll be out in pws deer hunting., ill take it with and see how it does,, never know, may see a deer come out to the beach across the bay.

I know I started this thread as kind of a light hearted joke but I honestly did start looking this up after seeing your retirement thread. Before that I honestly never put much thought into one.. After looking it up I found it certainly is an interesting round and I would be very interested in hearing about how you like it and how it preforms for you... thanks for your input..

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If you need more than 338winmag go to 375 or 416
    how about this one Amigo

I know, the jokes on me ... In all honesty I wanted a 7mm ultra mag, for several years.. Just didn't have the coin to buy one..,and with extensive research, I found it to have many problems. The lapua was created as you know by the finish, the govt needed a sniper round for people., bigger than the .308, they necked down a 416 and the 338 lapua was born after 20 years of making, testing and research.

I humped around a m60 MG as a private, then a 240, a 14 pound rifle is a paper weight, not a good sheep or goat gun, but I plan to use it on animals. Bears, spring bears, I have a boat to haul it.., moose, ATV will carry it, chicken ridge caribou, atv also..etc.. It's not a gun to hump out 5 miles on the dalton and whack a bou.,unless i went 5 miles out and shot it at 1500 meters..then yhe pack out would be 4 miles..

with the right rounds, loads, I'll feel comfortable taking moose out to 1000 meters., would I get closer, I'm sure. Most likely with in 100 yards., should make a big boom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast