Thread: Ralph Miller

Default Ralph Miller

Longtime interior big game guide Ralph Miller passed awsy.
    wes

Prayers go out to all the Deltana folks. He will be missed by the mortals but his spirit will be in the winds.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Rest in peace Ralphie....i owe much of any success i've had guiding to the tutelage of Ralph Miller and Deltana early in my packing/guiding career. they gave me the basics and the opportunity to learn in the field where everything happens. he was a guy that you walked away better from knowing. he was exactly what i needed at that time in my career and his and deltana's tutelage shortened my learning curve tremendously. i also believe ralph tried to do the right things in life, he helped people readily, and he seemed to have alot of integrity. a hell of a wolf trapper, and one of the best outfitters i've worked with, he was a neat guy. from what i know of Ralph in the few years i worked with deltana he was an outfitter that had a true concern for the resource, and while i now dont see eye to eye with some of his ideals, he believed in what he thought was the best in any subject...and he did so with complete conviction when he did it. something i always admire. they dont make guys quite like that often, its always a shame when one leaves us. heres to you Ralph.....

Never did know Ralph but he was an old timer in a buisness that has afforded me the some of the greatest moments in my hunting carreer.. Sad to lose guys like this and one can only hope that his memory and stories will live on for many years to come...

May the peace of the lord be with Mr Miller and his family.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I the pleasure of meeting Ralph a few years ago at a seminar here in town. Struck me as a real professional and a good guy. Hope he rests in peace and condolences to his family.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Had the pleasure of meeting Ralph on two different times. A straight shooter with the desire and knowledge to make sure his clients were satisfied. Quick with a story and a laugh. It was a true pleasure and an honor to have known him even a little. He will be missed.

I had the pleasure of meeting Ralph last year. I flew out of Happy Valley on a Caribou drop hunt with Deltana. Sorry to hear he is gone he seemed like a great guy, I was looking forward to a return trip.

Ralph D. Miller, 67, from Delta Junction, Alaska passed away on November 7, 2012 at Bassett Community Hospital, Ft. Wainwright, Alaska, surrounded by family and friends.

He was born July 17, 1945 in Petersburg, Virginia to Fred Miller and Dorothy Wright.

He married the love of his life, Keum Ran Kim, on January 26, 1963 in Seoul, S. Korea.

He was a dedicated husband, father and friend.

He served in the US Army, including two tours in Vietnam and 8 years in Korea.

He first came to and fell in love with Alaska in May of 1974. Upon his retirement from the military in 1982, he and his family returnedto Delta Junction.

In the mid 90ís, he and his partner, Jim Weidner, established Deltana Outfitters, a guide service offering Alaskan big game hunts to clients from around the world.

His personality was as big as Alaska and truly enjoyed helping clients realize their ďAlaska dreams.Ē In his early years in Alaska, he was an avid trapper. Later he obtained his pilotís license and he liked flying his super cub.

He came to know the Lord later in his life and truly enjoyed the church families and the pastor, Glen Cotton, at Clearwater Baptist Church where he became a member.

He was a member of the Safari Club International and the Alaska Professional Hunters.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, Keum Ran; daughters, Sue Ann Miller and Tonie Monroe; son-in-law, Stephen (Kent) Monroe; grandchildren, Ashlee Bobbitt, Joseph Monroe, Kayla Axtell, James Douglas, Garrett Monroe and James Presley; great-grandchildren, Gabriel Axtell , Caiden Bobbitt and Sofia Axtell.

He was preceded in death by his father, Fred Miller; mother, Dorothy Wright; sister, Ann Waddell and brother, Roger Wright.

A Memorial Service will be held at Clearwater Baptist Church in Delta Junction, Alaska officiated by Pastor Glen Cotton at 6pm on November 17, 2012.

Arrangements entrusted to Chapel of Chimes Funeral Home.

If you would like to leave personal comments so the family can see them, please go to http://news.deltanewsweb.com/news/20...alph-d-miller/. This is an online newspaper I do for the community of Delta Jct.

I will miss Ralph. He was alot of fun and was always laughing and joking around. I am so blessed to have known this man. He was one of the greatest hunting guides I have ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post

Thank you. I met him only through a mutual friend. He was truly an inspiring individual and well respected by our mutual friend, a fellow big game guide.
    wes

Real sorry to hear about Ralph's passing. never met him but only heard great things about him and Deltana Outfitters. My condolences to his family and friends.

dang sorry to hear about Ralph. Man, good dude, and solid as a rock. He was feeling better this spring and stronger, but the downslide was quick.

I'm certain that Jim Wiedner will carry on in Ralph's memory and do a standup job with Deltana Outfitters.

It just sucks to know we're all headed down that road eventually. Life is short.

love it while you can!

lb

Jim's a good man but nobody can provide the extra color Ralph gave the operation. The world is a poorer place without him. R.I.P.

Someone posted a nice tribute to Ralph on YouTube, and just sent the link to me. Great song, and he certainly is missed!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Great clip!!

A space in time that will never be replaced. My best wishes to his family. Didn't know him well, but got the impression he made the most of this life! No regrets.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I am so glad that someone did a You Tube video to honor this man. Ralph was so awesome. I always enjoyed being around him. We had many of conversations on the phone and it was awesome to sit in his office and drink coffee with him on occasion. He is missed, but lives on in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Someone posted a nice tribute to Ralph on YouTube, and just sent the link to me. Great song, and he certainly is missed!
    Thanks Mike....that was very nice. RIP Mr. Miller....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thats cool...thanks for posting. Ralph is missed dearly by those who knew him. He ran a tight ship, and his camps over the years he outfitted produced a handful of extremely competent guides who continue to provide top quality hunts now. He certainly made a lasting immpression on me, and was a born leader. His natural charissma and ability to organize and direct large groups of people made him easy to work for...coupled with a unique magnetic personality, integrity, and a heart as big as Alaska, Ralph was an easy man to respect.