Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 300 win mag

Default 300 win mag

Ok , the 338 was posted...... Thoughts on 300 win as all around in Alaska ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
    Ok , the 338 was posted...... Thoughts on 300 win as all around in Alaska ?
    Yep 223 through the big bores. All work all around alaska. Some just more efficient at killing and IMO better choice than others. Check the regulations for hunts with weapons restrictions.

As with any of them, use good bullets and put them in the right spot.

Dude, seriously? their is already a .338. .22, 17 HMR,.223 just this week alone.. Try the shooting section, 183 pages of reading threads and im sure the .300 is mentioned in their some where..

With 200 grain and up bullets its fine and anything smaller is an 30-06
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default 300 win mag

I thought the last 300WM thread addressed it as too fast of a cartridge that ruins meat?

Love my 300WM.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i myself own a 300 win mag and love it for every thing just never hunted bears and noticed the 300 on some cases left running moose not far though, very potent i only bought my 338 wich i posted on due to my last bear encounter and the fact that i wanna bear hunt and will be alone i always hunt alone so what the differance and i have a side arm just wanted a better chance at dead at an instance though me myself dont know how a 300 works on a big bear im sure its fine as all says with the rite shot, practice seems to be key and i must say the 300 is more accurate in more rounds then the 338 i did find some 115 gr. 338 online that my 300 wont touch paper at the same distance yet the same gun but thats out to 700 yards i target shoot 50 times more then kill criters.accuracy is in consistancy and the knock down is behind the lead i know its great for every thing that ive heard of and you can get rounds in any town or village couldnt go wrong and im sure many will agree!

I've killed a lot of critters with the .300....not many ballistic puzzles you can't solve with a 180gr Accubond at 3000fps.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default 300 win mag

Awesome caliber. Love mine. 180 gr accubonds will smoke anything. Gonna try some 200 gr next year however just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Dude, seriously? their is already a .338. .22, 17 HMR,.223 just this week alone.. Try the shooting section, 183 pages of reading threads and im sure the .300 is mentioned in their some where..
    2 more post you will be at 700 hell yeah!

My favorite caliber right now. Always use 180 Nosler partitions. Used handloads this year in Alaska with great results. Did experiment with the 165 Barnes TTSX and they shot the same as the 180's as far as drop at 400yds, so stuck with the 180's.

Is 30-06 going to be the next thread or maybe even 338 Lapua.

in general the .300 is flatter and retains more enery at longer ranges than the .338 other than that i like the 300 for less recoil and i dont have to use a brake to keep from getting hammered. both great calibers and as was said who cares as long as it does what you want. so many good caliber to choose from these days its hard to get it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Gosh and golly I should have checked with you before I asked other people's opinions! So sorry "DUDE"

Default 300 win mag

"What caliber" is a fairly beaten horse. Lots of covered info here via the Search function.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    "What caliber" is a fairly beaten horse. Lots of covered info here via the Search function.
    The search function on this site blows... So one be better asking same old questions. Which reminds me hey when is the unit 13 caribou hunt going to end?

Default 300 win mag

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The search function on this site blows... So one be better asking same old questions. Which reminds me hey when is the unit 13 caribou hunt going to end?
    Ask the Godfather.

Ask the Godfather.
    Godfather who might that be?

Default 300 win mag

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Godfather who might that be?
    The guy who lives in unit 13.

The guy who lives in unit 13.
    I see bronco running his lips... Only guys who have hunted with said individual in unit 13 around glennallen area can call him the godfather. Sorry that's way it has to be... Bronco will be dealt with for running his gums

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast