Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Hunt Suggestions?

Default Moose Hunt Suggestions?

I'm looking for input/suggestions on a moose hunt for 2013. It's been on my bucket list to shoot a respectable bull but because of my two young kids and other circumstances I have not yet been able to. We'll probably move at the end of next year because of my husband's job, so next year will likely be my last opportunity to get a moose.
    My husband will have to stay home with the kids so we can't do a straight DIY hunt, but we also can't afford a fully guided $15-$20k trophy hunt either. I guess I'd be looking for something in between the two extremes.

Anyone have suggestions/advice on how I can accomplish a good hunt while still saving some money? Input on which permits I should apply for? If it helps, I'm 30 years old, in decent shape, and don't mind sleeping in a tent for week.

Thanks!

Kara

Contact Talon air in Soldotna or Willow Air in Willow.
    Either of them keep an eye on the moose all summer and offer unguided drop off hunts in areas where they have been seeing moose all summer.
    I have used Talon in the past for caribou trips and had a relative from the lower 48 use them for the drop off moose hunt and we have always been successful.
    Just an idea....
    BK

Do you have other people that are able to accompany you on this hunt, Kara? If you have a couple of friends willing to join you, there are some pretty solid options out there. If not, you'll have to consider a guide of some sort. It cannot be overstated just how large moose really are once they're on the ground and how difficult it is to move a large bull one quarter at a time. Simply butchering one is a difficult feat for someone who is alone, and then you have to deal with quarters that are often over 150 pounds. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but knowing whether you're going at this solo or with others will help in making a reasonable recommendation.

Check the womens only forum for partner or been there done that tips.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

What's your relative in-law situation. Perhaps fly the kids to see the inlaws/relatives for a couple for weeks... or fly a relative up to play the kid watcher. ... hopefully a airline ticket or two would fit into the budget.

If your husband doesn't desire to go, how about your inner circle of friends?

What toys do you have (ATV's, boat, airplane)? How are you for camping gear? The answers to those questions might increase your inner circle of friends, and hunting opportunities.

With it being a request for a respectable bull moose, does it have to be a moose? Not trying to be critical... just realistic in that there are lots of options for caribou and bears (and the seasons are often longer) and you might get more help with a different critter. But if you've done that already ... then moose makes sense.

It's not that my husband doesn't want to go. I'm sure he'll be chasing sheep next year and that's why we have to alternate on who goes hunting. The in-laws will be up, but for a hunt of their own so that doesn't work. And my parents are high maintenance so they won't work.

I don't have any toys, but I'm set as far as everything else goes. And yes, it has to be a moose. I like eating caribou, but it just really doesn't it do it for me like a moose would.

Brian,

Yes, I'd certainly want to go with a few other people but my friends aren't really into hunting. LAME, I know. Maybe I could give my kids up for adoption for 2 weeks, then get them back afterwards. A program like that would be a really money maker in August and September. Know of any?

....kidding. Or am I?

take the summer to sharpen up rafting skills, rent a raft package and choose a river with vehicle access at both the put-in and take-out. this will be the most affordable way to get onto moose. Try to "learn" some on the river you choose to hunt. This is a good opportunity to get in some scouting. Raft package rentals are very cheap options that keep the price of moose meat per/lb affordable. You say you don't mind sleeping in a tent for a week, but how are you to dial in on a legal bull moose with only a week? Might want to consider more than a week, it'll only increase you chances.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    take the summer to sharpen up rafting skills, rent a raft package and choose a river with vehicle access at both the put-in and take-out. this will be the most affordable way to get onto moose. Try to "learn" some on the river you choose to hunt. This is a good opportunity to get in some scouting. Raft package rentals are very cheap options that keep the price of moose meat per/lb affordable. You say you don't mind sleeping in a tent for a week, but how are you to dial in on a legal bull moose with only a week? Might want to consider more than a week, it'll only increase you chances.
    On my one attempt at a moose 4 years ago, this is the approach we took. We floated the 40 mile river out of Chicken, putting in a taking out where the road cut the river. It was a fun trip but we didn't see any moose, though someone on the river did get one as we were leaving. I was rounding when I said a week...I'll stay out there until the food runs out if I have to.

Not to be discouraging but you will need to have a partneror even better partners to go with you. Ido not know of any transporters that will drop off one hunter for a moose hunt.
    A fly out would be your best bet for a good moose, there is alot of good areas to hunt but a fly out will get you in areas that a lot of othercanít get out to.
    Brian talked about it on size of a moose and I agree itístough, my wife and I did a Koyukuk hunt two years ago and she took a greatmoose. We were only 600yds from theriver and we slid everything to the boat with a skedco that worked outgreat.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

agree w/ brian. unless it's next to the water i wouldn't think of going at it alone. just getting a quarter onto a pack frame and standing up by youself is extremely difficult. i'm not too proud to say i've been on all fours with a quarter on top of me and unable to get up until i got next to a tree to shimmy up. i also had to have my wife help me get up most of the time. i know if you have large trees you can get creative but in willows you will need help to get up. some districts don't allow the meat to be removed from the bone so it's pretty **** heavy. find a partner.

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    agree w/ brian. unless it's next to the water i wouldn't think of going at it alone. just getting a quarter onto a pack frame and standing up by youself is extremely difficult. i'm not too proud to say i've been on all fours with a quarter on top of me and unable to get up until i got next to a tree to shimmy up. i also had to have my wife help me get up most of the time. i know if you have large trees you can get creative but in willows you will need help to get up. some districts don't allow the meat to be removed from the bone so it's pretty **** heavy. find a partner.
    Exactly and well said cjustinm...

I am not trying to sound rude but it is crazy for an inexperienced person to go it alone on a moose hunt. Kara not offense to you or your abilities but I see it on here all the time and it is absolutely rediculous.. Moose are not elk or deer... they are big and a real pain to deal with with two people let alone one.. trying to hold a front quarter up on a big bull and cut it off and get it in a pack is dam near impossible.. Its not a strength thing the weight can be managed.. I am sure most can pickup a 125 pound bag of dog food but go try to pick up a 125 pound blob of jello and let me know if its the same.. I am not trying to discourage you or any other diy hunter just trying to enlighten you.... I have done and will probably have to do it alone again and it is with out a doubt the last thing I want to do..

I am sure with proper planning you can find a partner who can share both expenses and work load...best of luck to you

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

not to counterdict all this fine advice... but.. uh... i dont know howmany moose i have done on 'MY OWN" i the last 20 years... make smaller pieces.. i have cut quarters in half, split rib cages too.. 13-15 trips safely per moose rather then 5 or 6 heavy ones..

lots can be done within a persons limits. consider my right leg was crushed some 20 years ago also.. and i still feel the effects of it, dont have full range of motion. and am 70% disables according to the medical crackers that treat me..

i hope it dont sound like a brag.. just a fact that given the choice i will take one alone, or with a freind . it matters not. my first MOOSE was at dark, on a beaver pond, 1000 yards from the truck around the pond. ALONE. was done by 6 am... nealry 9 hours after the shot.

know your limits, take your time, and have a bag of personal care items, at your side at all times.. just incase you find your self, in the dark, Alone, with a dead moose.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If looking for a decent bull, then consider:
    DM766 had a high award rate last year. That draw hunt area is smaller and more remote next year.
    Lots of draw hunts close to town. Lots of areas away from town. If the regular season doesn't pan out, then RM the ship creek area.
    Maybe take a piece of paper, have your husband (or another person) randomly write the draw hunts on a sheet of paper. Have him stick it to a wall (with the writing on the back side so you can't see it) ... through darts at paper to select accordingly.

And to steal, paraphrase, and reword another persons perspective, "even a little bull doesn't realize how big he is."

I'll 2nd Vince's comments. I have shot, butchered, packed multiple moose/bear/caribou alone.
    It just takes longer and is a strenous process. I'd much rather have a partner but sometimes it doesn't work out. Hunting alone can be a great experience too, nothing but you and nature.
    Another thing to mention is, it's nice to have a partner due tothe possibilty of bear activity once an animal is shot.....
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Exactly and well said cjustinm...

I am not trying to sound rude but it is crazy for an inexperienced person to go it alone on a moose hunt. Kara not offense to you or your abilities but I see it on here all the time and it is absolutely rediculous.. Moose are not elk or deer... they are big and a real pain to deal with with two people let alone one.. trying to hold a front quarter up on a big bull and cut it off and get it in a pack is dam near impossible.. Its not a strength thing the weight can be managed.. I am sure most can pickup a 125 pound bag of dog food but go try to pick up a 125 pound blob of jello and let me know if its the same.. I am not trying to discourage you or any other diy hunter just trying to enlighten you.... I have done and will probably have to do it alone again and it is with out a doubt the last thing I want to do..

I am sure with proper planning you can find a partner who can share both expenses and work load...best of luck to you

after reading my post realized it sounds way too discouraging.. I honestly do not want to discourage you in the least as pointed out by Vince it is more then doable. I just would and hate to see any hunter get in over their heads as it is a big job but with proper preperation go for it and be safe...

Bear is a standup guy and Guide. Kara, see if he would guide you!!

OOPS, maybe I should of used the PM method. Hope no hard feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    not to counterdict all this fine advice... but.. uh... i dont know howmany moose i have done on 'MY OWN" i the last 20 years... make smaller pieces.. i have cut quarters in half, split rib cages too.. 13-15 trips safely per moose rather then 5 or 6 heavy ones..

lots can be done within a persons limits. consider my right leg was crushed some 20 years ago also.. and i still feel the effects of it, dont have full range of motion. and am 70% disables according to the medical crackers that treat me..

i hope it dont sound like a brag.. just a fact that given the choice i will take one alone, or with a freind . it matters not. my first MOOSE was at dark, on a beaver pond, 1000 yards from the truck around the pond. ALONE. was done by 6 am... nealry 9 hours after the shot.

know your limits, take your time, and have a bag of personal care items, at your side at all times.. just incase you find your self, in the dark, Alone, with a dead moose.
    Lol and the 70% disability thrown in there for good measure. Nah Vince your just one bad mother that's all. One day we will all grow up to be like you... Oh and live in north pole...

Instead of spending money on a raft trip, or a fly out, or putting in for a tags you still have to find a moose. I would concentrate on finding a hunting area in the valley. That way you can call up your husband and have him help you pack out the moose if you can't find someone to go with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast