Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Duck meat processing

  1. #1
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Duck meat processing

    I've got a couple bags of duck and goose meet in the freezer I would like to turn into peperoni sticks. Are there any good place in the valley I can drop this off at to be processed. Want good quality product, but looking for reasonable cost. I assume it is mixed 50-50 with pork meat, but really don't know. Anybody with experience with this let me know please. Many thinks, Bud
    Wasilla

  2. #2
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Bud I took my ducks to Mat Valley meats turned out great but you need 20 pounds Chris
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Bud I took my ducks to Mat Valley meats turned out great but you need 20 pounds Chris
    Do you remember how much it was to do 20#?

  4. #4
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    Bud,
    PM me I can help you.
    I WOULD NOT TAKE IT TO MAT VALLEY!
    BK

  5. #5

    Default

    Mikes Meats in Eagle River will do it. Like stated above, you need 20 lbs. The caribou pepperoni sticks that I had made were something like $3 per pound. The guy did tell me that you will get 100% weight gain since duck breast doesnt have any fat. Made me wonder if you only need 10 lbs since the 100% weight gain.

  6. #6
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Sorry I dont you can call them
    Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Do you remember how much it was to do 20#?
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  7. #7
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    BK just wondering did you have a bad experience with Mat Valley. Chris


    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Bud,
    PM me I can help you.
    I WOULD NOT TAKE IT TO MAT VALLEY!
    BK
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  8. #8
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I would go to Pioneer meats out past SBS in Wasilla and get that Jalepeno Mozzerella sausage done out of it. Their sausage is amazing.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  9. #9
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    either these guys or mikes meats in ER. great customer relations and great meat.

    Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I would go to Pioneer meats out past SBS in Wasilla and get that Jalepeno Mozzerella sausage done out of it. Their sausage is amazing.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  10. #10
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    how do you bring it? cut off bone?
    Semper Fi!

  11. #11
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    breasted out
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  12. #12
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Indian Valley is the opposite direction for you, but they have done batches of only 10lbs for me. You drop off 10lbs, get back 13lbs, and spend about $50 for everything in 1lb vacum packs. I prefer the pepper sticks to other flavors.

    My family hates the after effects of me eating duck sticks. lol Just be warned!

  13. #13
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Thanks for all the suggestions, and there are some very good sounding ideas on here. I think, after talking to Bk, and discussing with my wife, we are going to try and do it ourselves. Sounds like sportsmans has a kit for making it up, pretty cheap, and we already have a grinder and i guess they make a stuffing attachment for our grinder that isn't expensive, would like to try it ourselves and see how it comes out. Thanks again, Bud
    Wasilla

  14. #14
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    I have used the sporties pepp stick mix and it is good. Simple. Cheap compared to paying someone to do it for you. Put enough pork in it though.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I ground 50/50 pork shoulder with duck this weekend. Made up some Cajun Jerky Sticks using the High Mountain mix.
    I put them in the oven for about 5 hr on 200F. They turned out alright, kinda crumbly.
    I also made up some sausage links using Eastman's Itialan seasoning. I think i'm gonna try to smoke them tonight. Never smoked sausage so I'm still going to throw them on the BBQ when I'm done to make sure that all the pork gets cooked. I'll let you guys know how the sausage turns out.

  16. #16
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    A few days after starting this thread we went ahead and made up some peperoni sticks ourselves. Just did a small batch, couple pounds to try it out with, got about 12 ft of tube filled, used kitchen aid grinder attachment and stuffer attachment. The stuffer attachment is pretty slow at stuffing and that took a while, even with just this little bit but it came out well. Used the peperoni kit , mild, they had at sportsmans and it really came out well, next time will spice it up a little more and see how it does. Really good texture and flavor as is. We used the 5/8 casing and would like to look around and find some of the 3/8 casing, we might perfer it that way i think. But first time doing this sort of thing and we were very happy with it. Bud
    Wasilla

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    How did you guys cook it?
    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    A few days after starting this thread we went ahead and made up some peperoni sticks ourselves. Just did a small batch, couple pounds to try it out with, got about 12 ft of tube filled, used kitchen aid grinder attachment and stuffer attachment. The stuffer attachment is pretty slow at stuffing and that took a while, even with just this little bit but it came out well. Used the peperoni kit , mild, they had at sportsmans and it really came out well, next time will spice it up a little more and see how it does. Really good texture and flavor as is. We used the 5/8 casing and would like to look around and find some of the 3/8 casing, we might perfer it that way i think. But first time doing this sort of thing and we were very happy with it. Bud

  18. #18
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,119

    Default

    I'll put a pan of chips in the smoker for the first hour at 150*
    Then bump up the smoker temp to 200* till internal temp of stix reaches 165* (about 4 hours total time).
    BK

  19. #19
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    we cooked ours in the oven until the internal temp reached 165, but i imagion smoking would be better. Bud
    Wasilla

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    I just got done smoking my sausage. It's pretty good but for some reason it has no "gamey" flavor at all. I smoked it at 200F for about 2 hours. Double checked the internal temp and it was at about 170F.

    For some reason the consistancy of the sausage is the same as... well a hot dog. Has anyone else ran into this? The duck meat seemed to be super fine even when I ground it through the corse grinding disk.

    Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!


    Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    I ground 50/50 pork shoulder with duck this weekend. Made up some Cajun Jerky Sticks using the High Mountain mix.
    I put them in the oven for about 5 hr on 200F. They turned out alright, kinda crumbly.
    I also made up some sausage links using Eastman's Itialan seasoning. I think i'm gonna try to smoke them tonight. Never smoked sausage so I'm still going to throw them on the BBQ when I'm done to make sure that all the pork gets cooked. I'll let you guys know how the sausage turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •