Thread: Deadhorse Caribou

Default Deadhorse Caribou

Anybody bow hunt caribou south of deadhorse this time of year? When do the big bulls start dropping their antlers? Anybody have a resent report? I'm flying up to deadhorse next week and plan on drive south looking for a big boy.

I wouldn't expect to see much of anything that far north. We were just up that way on November 1st (full hunt report listed down the page a ways), around Atigun pass and that's where the caribou were. Besides, I think they'll mostly have shed their antlers by then.

Thanks mossy, I've been following that thread. I only have 2 days to hunt and figured driving south from deadhorse would be the quickest way to get on animals. So little chance they will be out in the flats? Or is it completely random? Come on give me some hope! Need to break in the new bow...

I honestly don't know. I do know they've received more snow than normal and on my initial drive up there we drove north and turned around just south of Toolik. We saw zero tracks and the snow looked deep. So I imagine that the deeper snow drove the caribou south earlier than normal? On November 1st the caribou seemed to be headed south pretty good and there were herds seen south of the pass. You may very well be able to find some out there randomly but I would plan on having to get down around Atigun to find them.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Currently snowing hard and blowing sideways this morning in Prudhoe.
    BK

Ok headed up tomorrow, hoping to get lucky...