Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough water capable landing craft type boats

Default Rough water capable landing craft type boats

I'm contemplating the purchase of a multi-use landing craft or drop down bow boat. Intended use would be:
    1. Occasional water taxi duty ferrying people, dogs, gear around Kachemak bay
    2. Off-shore runs to fish halibut primarily out of Homer
    3. Wheelhouse to seat 6 passengers
    4. Stand-up head
    5. Outboard power to allow for beach landings
    6. 26-30' length
    I've looked into Atec, Munson, Svendsen, and have seen a Peregrine aluminum cat that I really liked but heard they were out of business. The Munson Packcat models seem pretty nice on paper.
    Also since I live in Homer and often end up at Bayweld for work, their boats are way nice with matching price tags.

While its common knowledge there's not a perfect "do all" boat, any opinions or suggestions from the crew here is appreciated on what you guys think.

bayweld, svendsen, & munson, armstrong would be hard to go wrong with any of them. Since you live in Homer & already have knowledge & communication with bayweld i would look hard at them first. nothing better than being able to see your build go together, have input, custom things done these things change during the build & being there to make decisions and look in person rather than over the phone can make a huge difference in your boat. Having a boat built in homer & not having to ship will save a bunch too. another thing to think about is even after the sale there's thing or warranty work possible, having the builder right there will simplify that process alot & your also bound to want to ad things down the road....just seeems logical in my book to stay home if $$$ & quality are there, which from what i've seen of bayweld they are. Nowing your boat from the iside out is important too.....Svendsen build awesome boats too....

Millers Landing in Seward runs a couple of boats as you describe. They run folks all over inside and outside the bay in similar conditions to K Bay. I'm not sure of the make but give them a call and maybe get some info you need to make a decision.

You might want to take a look at Koffler boats, Bruce ,the owner, made one for himself a couple years ago, I towed it to Seattle to put on the barge to Alaska, It really looks like the boat you have in mind. It is walk thru in the front so you do not have to go around the wheel house on the gunnels to get to the bow.
    PM me for his company phone number.

Wayne

Check out Reynolds Marine on facebook i think they used to be Peregrine or are owned by a guy that worked for them. Reynolds builds some beautiful boats. There is a guy out in the valley, butte area, that builds landing craft/boats, last one was a 80 footer, he does some sub work for Reynolds. He bought some shrimping gear from me and we were talking about building boats i just can't remember his name.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Reynolds Marine has a website as well:

http://reynoldsmarine.biz/
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I used to work for Peregrine Marine and Charlie bought out Jeff Johnson out and they became Reynolds Marine. Charlie was the foreman when I was there. Great Boats, good crew to work with.

Thanks for all the tips guys; I did check out Reynolds' site. Seems they are building gillnetters only but will investigate further. One thing that occurred to me was also a bow picker in aluminum. Could have Bayweld do a drop down mod to it possibly. Seems there's more than a few used 'pickers around, especially Cordova where shallower draft models are prevalent. A brand new Bay Weld would be a dream but likely a bit steep $.

You don't really need a head unless you are chartering, and halibut fishing is highly overrated.
    (Hi Jim)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

potbuilder, The guy in the Butte is Bill Bogle

It seems Ryenold's, according to their website, is building gillnetters only but will give them a call.
    bout time homerdave! Oops, better keep an eye on the exclamation quota:-)

Give Margaret at Copper River Boats & Permits in cordova a call, this one has been for sale for over a year.
    Landing Craft 0001- For more information, click on the image.
    24' Miller/Loomis
    Landing Craft

454 Gas Engine
    W/ 1031 Jet
    Comes On Double Axle Trailer

Can be used for Sport/Commercial/
    Research/ or Pleasure Cruiser

Price: $40,000

MAKE AN OFFER

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    potbuilder, The guy in the Butte is Bill Bogle
    Thanks for that but the guy i talked with had a different name but maybe he works for him ??

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim House View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys; I did check out Reynolds' site. Seems they are building gillnetters only but will investigate further. One thing that occurred to me was also a bow picker in aluminum. Could have Bayweld do a drop down mod to it possibly. Seems there's more than a few used 'pickers around, especially Cordova where shallower draft models are prevalent. A brand new Bay Weld would be a dream but likely a bit steep $.
    those bowpickers are going for aprox 250K !!! i just can't see that kind of money for those(or any) small boats like that. You might call Gary at Greatland Welding in Palmer and see if he's interested in building or modifying something for ya.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Jim, There is a landing craft 33' on Craigs List in Kenny Lakes asking $30.0000.00 Made by munson 907-822-3252 or 960-1051

check out hard drive marine

Well ATEC is in Kenai...so close to you to be able to watch build on occasion. Steve the owner has lots of options to chose from...outboard, inboard, head, bed, deck space, Etc....There are also lots of ATEC boats in Homer already doing the same thing...go talk to their Captains.....and on the plus side he has reasonable prices, and if there is a problem with the boat down the road...he is close to address the issue....just my two cents.....

I did see that Munson at Kenny Lake, not a bad price but twin 350's and out drives not too appealing.
    A used pair of 135 or 150 Hondas came into the yard for sale so maybe having an Atec built accordingly would be wise.
    Also saw a 31' landing craft in southeast on cl for sale. It has twin 250 verados; not sure about the reliability or fuel usage on those; can anyone chime in on that? The thing about being in Homer, the Merc dealer closes down for winter months and I'd be operating the boat year 'round so service would be non existent.
    Steve, you're right about the high cost of those bow pickers, I wouldn't spring for a new one.
    Pretty fun dreamin! Seems like the best thing I've seen so far is the Peregrine cat with drop bow, aft walk around big house, 150 Hondas and about 26 or so in our yard but it's not for sale.

The guy in the Butte that pot builder is talking about is Delbert Henry. pm me if you want his contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmysgirl View Post
    The guy in the Butte that pot builder is talking about is Delbert Henry. pm me if you want his contact info.
    Yup thats the guy !! is his shop over by the race track somewhere ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast