Thread: Pike on Big Su / Deshka

Default Pike on Big Su / Deshka

Hi all, I'm new to pike fishing and I am looking for some info. Some things I am looking for are areas to fish for pike on the Su and Deshka. I have a 18 ft john with a 40 jet. So I can get around with no problems. I've heard about being able to get in to flathorn lake from the river and I am interested on trying to get there but I am also looking for some more areas to try closer to deshka landing. Up or down river. Also I've read here that the deshka also has pike. Can I get some detailed information on some areas to fish? I also heard about fish creek off kroto. How far up the creek do I need to go? I know thats asking a lot. But I've been fishing out of deshka landing for 3 yrs now and I'm still not having much luck out there. Got 1 King so far and a few silvers each year. I guess you can say I'm a rookie

I am also looking for some information on setups for pike fishing. IE: lures, line etc etc. I like to fish using a spining reel set up. I do have a fly rod and I might give that a try too. But I usualy use a spining real or bait caster.

If any of you guys use google earth feel free to send me some place marks on areas to fish :P

Just about anywhere in Fish creek you can get pike. Once you get about 1mile or so its gets real weedy so be careful or run a kicker motor hope this helps chris

I have spent some time looking for pike. Be careful going into Flathorn. The entrance to the lake is a bit tricky as it is shallow at times. It is best found using a GPS.

I have been to Fish Creek all the way up to the logjam. It looks like great pike water, but has not produced well for me. I have heard that there are some very nice fish in it. I have not seen them which I find unusual for pike water.

I have looked in the sloughs on Deshka but have not found any pike.... YET.

Carry a push pole.

Google Earth is a great tool to help find the sloughs and freshwater tributaries.

Fair to good Pike fishing in the sloughs in this region, but if you really want to catch lots of bigger one, you have to expand your range just a little bit. Alexander Creek is full of good ones. All of the fresh water sloughs along the Yentna are full of them. Moose Creek and Kutna Creek are good. Anyone of the sloughs going back in along the Yentna have fresh water dumping in. Indian Creek is excellent. Some of the better sloughs don't have official names, just local names. The Pike have established themselves longer here, rather than the Deshka or along the Big Su north of the Deshka Landing. They are there, but not as many or nor as big. Go West and you will find more than you can believe.

Thanks for the response to this post guys. I really appreciate the information you all are willing to give out. Looks like I'll be planning a few trips futher down river towards the Yetna and Alexander and Flathorn.

I also decided to rent a cabin out on Redshirt Lake. I'll be going on the 1st-3rd of June. Hopefully to catch some nice pike. This will my 1st time to Redshirt. Any information on Redshirt would be appreciated. It looks like a big lake and I would like to limit how much I paddle around looking for pike.

So how about lure choices? What are the lures that I must have in my tackle box when going for pike?

Again thanks for all the great information.

Quote Originally Posted by FSHKLR View Post
    Thanks for the response to this post guys. I really appreciate the information you all are willing to give out. Looks like I'll be planning a few trips futher down river towards the Yetna and Alexander and Flathorn.

I also decided to rent a cabin out on Redshirt Lake. I'll be going on the 1st-3rd of June. Hopefully to catch some nice pike. This will my 1st time to Redshirt. Any information on Redshirt would be appreciated. It looks like a big lake and I would like to limit how much I paddle around looking for pike.

So how about lure choices? What are the lures that I must have in my tackle box when going for pike?

Again thanks for all the great information.
    I haven't fished Redshirt in quite awhile, but others have told me it aint what it used to be. It has been hit hard, and even some of the bigger ones netted out by the bios. Cow lake is now producing better. For lures, Mice are good, real or fake. Also I like taking the plastic center out of silver Pixies, and warble them at a fairly fast retrieve. Frogs also work. Rapala is the old standby, but they don't last long and cost quite a bit. They are also a pain to get all the hooks out.

I havn't fished pike in AK but you can't go wrong with a little cleo spoon. They last forever and catch a lot of fish in L48 and Canada. Johnson silver minnows work well with a twister tail on them in the weeds.

The smithwick rattln rogue is IMO the best crankbait in the world for bass/pike/walleye. If you have problems with all the hooks take off the middle one. It doesn't effect the action all that much and still catches fish.

For a spinner any black bucktail with silver/red is a winner. Use the muskie sized ones for bigger fish. Also good are bass buzzbaits and rocker arm spinners for the weeds.

Basically you can put a hook on a turd and catch pike. Anything you catch bass or walleye on will catch pike and I believe bigger lures catch bigger fish. Make sure you use a wire leader. Try to find the most flexible ones you can. A jaw spreader and needle nose pliers make getting hooks out easier.

Up the Deshka right past the bend with the Porta poti. you hit that bend that turns right. Old Beaver lodge there. Have Caught Pike there.

use a lead head jig and a rubber worm for pressured fish, works like a charm
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

johnson's silver weedless spoons are the only lure you need....they last forever....you can cast them 200 yards on shore and they won't get stuck....it the only lure i ever use for pike

All you need is a Mepps inline spinner with hair, size 5. Durable, and they can't not attack them. Take it from a pike addict.

I might be on Red Shirt the first week of June also, FSHKLR. At least that's my plan as of now.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

You guys are great! All this information is MUCH appreciated!

I still howerver have a few more questions.

1. What size pole would be best for pike @ redshirt and around on the Deshka/Su?

2. What would be a good choice for line size and leader size?

I am getting soooo excited up about these pike trips I am planning. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

I have fished Red Shirt a few times around the grass beds. I would say it depends on how much fun you want to have. I fished it with a very light tackle spinning reel on a 5ft light action rod. I had 6lb line, no leader, and throwing a rubber frog. Caught a dozen or more 2-4lb fish. Very fun! Going to take my 5 weight fly rod a couple of times before I leave AK. I prefer lots of action on small gear over heavy gear going after the mammoths.

Maybe I will see you out there.

-Andy

Cool thanks. I sounds like I was gonna over do it with someting a little bigger. I'll change to something lighter.

You all been great helping me out.

If I was targeting pike I would use medium action 6 to 7 foot rod, baitcasting reel with 10-12 lb line for the spoons/spinners/deadbait. I would also have the same type rod with a spinning reel and 8 lb line for crankbaits and other lighter lures.

If I was looking to tackle a monster I'd bust out my musky rod/reel and toss a #21 sliver/red/black Buchertail bucktail on 30 lb nylon/superbraid line.

12 inch wire leader is suffiecent.

For me, 20 lb. Power Pro is my favorite line for pike, and a 12" wire leader.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    For me, 20 lb. Power Pro is my favorite line for pike, and a 12" wire leader.
    Ok so what's the point of a wire leader? I'm assuming that their teeth won't cut the Power Pro as its difficult enough to cut anyway.

I don't like losing lures, and therefore money. The Power Pro can be broken over time, especially if it rubs against trees or rocks, and primarily from the pike's teeth. Plus, some of my lures are quite expensive (muskie lures), so it's a safeguard to have that leader.

Well my wife and I went out to deshka on saturday the 19th. The water was really low. Most of the sloughs along the deshka were very low. No way to get a boat in them. I did find a few sloughs that I was able to get in to. And low and behold there were pike. The weather was very sunny and hot. We found at least a half a dozen pike in one slough. Most were around 18-20". We did see one that was about 36". We were able to get a few cast at them before we got too close and would spook them. Then we would back off and come up on them again. Getting around 6 or so cast before they would get spooked. We were able to get them to chase the lures but they would turn around and head the other way. I think it was because we were having to get up on them so close. Mainly becasue the water was so low and snags were all over the place. We headed back to the mouth and tried for kings a little bit waiting for the weather to cool a bit. Did'nt see anything as far as kings. Headed back to the slough and tried for pike again. Managed to get one around 18". I think if the water was a little higher we would of done better. But all in all we had a great time on the river. Just being able to find the pike was rewarding enough. I'll be out again soon. And when I do I'll post another report.