Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 win mag

Default 338 win mag

whats every ones opinon on 338 win mag for grizzly/brown bear and range as well

I will try to give you an honest answer since you will be very soon getting inundated with a ton of crazy ones the 338 win mag is one of the best all around cartridges for all of Alaska.. put some good premimum bullets in it and let em fly..
    range will depend on you and your abilities but I do NOT reccomend shooting bears further then the 125yard range...the further away the first shot the less chance for an accurate follow up shot if needed...
    Last edited by Bear; 11-08-2012 at 23:33. Reason: content

.338WM is a great cartridge. Not my personal favorite but it works well for anything walking up here.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

When it first came out there were factory loads up to 300gr at 2,400fps. Now day folks want to shoot farther and flater so they turn the big game rifle into a long range goat gun with 180's. Get some 225 to 300 grain bullets and fear no evil.If hunting bear as dangerous game stay under a hundred yards and if you just want to kill one 250 yards it will still work with the 225gr.JMOFO
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

A .338 with 300 grain bullet is all that I used for 15 years. 2 years ago I switched to a .375. I've been trying to buy my old .338 back for almost 2 years. He won't sell it.

Default 338 win mag

I'd feel well armed with one. They look great on paper. I shot my first moose with one. But that's all the real world experience I have with it. Well I have a friend that has shot a couple Kodak browns with his 338. I know one of them bears took some rounds before expiring. Not sure why though.

I agree with the shoot em close mentality with bears. Greater chance the bullet will hit where you put the cross hairs, more energy, better chance for a good follow up shot. I'd say 150-200 max. On the flip side of that I wouldn't want to be closer than 50 yards.

338 Win is good...340 Wby is better. A group of us shot the two at a 1/2" steel plate @ 300 yds using 210 Partitions in both. The 338 Win made a nice size dent...the 340 Wby made a nice hole. Enjoy!
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

The .338 is a great caliber for any Alaskan big game. My recommendation as to range would be to hold it to 100 - 125 yards for a reliable hit. I've always recommended the first shot to be a hit low in the front shoulders to break the bear down. He can't move well on his back legs, and he'll be anchored where you want him. IF a second shot is needed, you'll be able to approach the anchored bear to make it. If you decide on a .340 Weatherby, and if you shoot it very much, I'd tend to be concerned about throat erosion, so that wouldn't be my first choice at all. And long range shots on a big bear are frequently a mistake . . . . .

Good luck with your choice and with your bear hunting !!!

I'll get flamed for this but - -

I shot my caribou at 650 yards with my .338 Xbolt this year. I shot my Griz at 80 yards as he was stalking me, shot him an inch off of center and found the bullet in the offside skin of his hind quarter. I found the best accuracy with a full house load of 225 TTSX and RL17 (73.5 grains if I remember correctly) pushing 2940-2950fps. Couple years ago I shot a 7' blackie at 350. This last summer I shot a 6 foot blackie with it. My wife shot her caribou at 180 yards with it this year. My brother shot his Griz with a .338. My uncle shot 3 bou with his .338. I have seen them take moose and elk too.

A .300WM or a oughtsix would have killed all of them just as dead. My .300 Abolt used to be my favorite rifle, my xbolt is now.

Default 338 win mag

Agreed. One of the best calibers for Alaskan game.

My 10 year old Ruger m77 will still print sub-MOA 3 shot groups at 200 with Partitions, zeroed at 100.

I've yet to catch an animal past 130 yards in Alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

i would have to say im happy with the answers i got so far i baught the gun in intent to go for bear this year never made it but distance was a big one for me due to no one i know can hunt the same days i can so id go it alone and this summer fishing at willow creek i was charged by prob a 500#er i couldnt see him in the creek as he was on the other side of a large log jami steped on the jam and holy **** he jumped up and ran up to prob 10 ft from me i couldnt even get my pistol out i walked out he fallowed me the whole way to the camp ground. that being said my gun was in his face the whole time and i seen for the first time how fast they are i would not want one closer then 50 yards if i was gunna shoot it seemed he could move 50 yards before you could reload if you had a bad shot. i was so close to shooting that thing but i knew if it didnt drop him i was in a world of trouble just way to close. what makes the story awsome is the fact that when i got to the camp ground a guy was out just starting his gen at 6 am and asked why i was walking backwards out of the woods with my gun in my hand and sneeking threw the campers i told him theres a huge grizz rite there he yeld for his wife to come look at the bear and they went into the woods with a camera and no gun. florida license plate!!! needless to stay i was tuned into the news all day

troutslayer: great story, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    i would have to say im happy with the answers i got so far i baught the gun in intent to go for bear this year never made it but distance was a big one for me due to no one i know can hunt the same days i can so id go it alone and this summer fishing at willow creek i was charged by prob a 500#er i couldnt see him in the creek as he was on the other side of a large log jami steped on the jam and holy **** he jumped up and ran up to prob 10 ft from me i couldnt even get my pistol out i walked out he fallowed me the whole way to the camp ground. that being said my gun was in his face the whole time and i seen for the first time how fast they are i would not want one closer then 50 yards if i was gunna shoot it seemed he could move 50 yards before you could reload if you had a bad shot. i was so close to shooting that thing but i knew if it didnt drop him i was in a world of trouble just way to close. what makes the story awsome is the fact that when i got to the camp ground a guy was out just starting his gen at 6 am and asked why i was walking backwards out of the woods with my gun in my hand and sneeking threw the campers i told him theres a huge grizz rite there he yeld for his wife to come look at the bear and they went into the woods with a camera and no gun. florida license plate!!! needless to stay i was tuned into the news all day
    Ahh come on troutslayer its not even fun until you shoot them inside of 20 yards....LOL make the first one count....the rest are just insurance...

bear: you are very rite on if you want the biggest high ever lol! the bear at willow creek all i had was my super red hawk alaskan 44 mag with the hottest loads i could find wich put most to shame but still im sure a good shot from it would drop em but if not that is why i bought the handgun i did was just in case it goes to a wrestling match u can still use it and i use a chest holster the ones chemos sale expencive and well worth it, you can draw as fast as you can move your hand to your gun and the holster and short barrel just push to target from the holster instead of haveing to draw a lenghty barrel after you get a hand on your gun i just felt if i shot that sucker i was gunna have a few bites and alot of explaining to the troopers so i just hoped for the best and feel i and the bear got lucky the next weekend there had reports of a pissed sow and cubs STAY AWAY!! posted for the day after my incident so i figure i just never seen her cubs and got inbetween more then im hungry thought

.338 fan for the last 15 years in Browning A-bolt SS. Have dropped most of the critters AK has to offer. None have made it very far. Longest shot was 503 yds on a moose across a canyon, anchored him right there despite the distance.
    Wouldn't leave home without it.
    BK

In the past 5 years my 338 savage 116 has taken a three moose (120, 100 and 100 yards) and two bou (60 and 200 yards) It likes partitions, (but moose don't... and speer grand slams..... it's a fantastic gun, nothing wrong with it if you want a gun with more punch than a 30-06. As said, several other calibers offer the same or more for power etc. but for the normal shooter, the 338 has manageable recoil but enough punch to knock down anything you want to and do it well. I don't shoot more than 300 yards for anything, but it sounds like the gun can do it as well.

When a moose takes a 250 grain partition to the shoulder or hump.....it falls. Rib shots pass though but make nice holes and short blood trails, never had anything go more than 40 yards with 250 partitions or 225 grand slams. As far as bear, it's all the gun you need, thinking I may actually go for one next fall, and my 338 will be the gun.

Since 1975 it has been my go to caliber. Has plenty of "what ever is needed" for any Alaskan big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    If you decide on a .340 Weatherby, and if you shoot it very much, I'd tend to be concerned about throat erosion, so that wouldn't be my first choice at all.
    Not tracking you on this one...
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

Been shooting the .338WM with 250's since 1988. I've shot every bullet weight known to man in this gun, it just likes 250's.. Besides, heavy bullets aren't a bad thing.
    When I've done my part, It's always done what was asked of it, everytime!!! It's accurate, hits hard, and since I use a break, the recoil isn't bad at all. I've never felt "under gunned" even in tense moments with things that could bite back. For an Alaskan all-around or go-to rifle, you won't be disappointed.

savage .338wm and love it. would like to try out one of them xbolts.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast