Thread: Short barreled 44 mag

Default Short barreled 44 mag

Semi-Snub 44 mag loads
    While playing around with my 44 Special loads for a snub nose,,, my buddy decided to hit me up for some accurate loads for his 2.75 inch barreled 44 magnum. (It is a stainless Astra 44 mag which is the same size as a M629 mountain gun)

He wanted something that was accurate and controllable. Oh, and used solid cast lead.

So far these loads meet the mark...from sand bags

240 grain cast Keith SWC.
    ww brass, CCI-350, roll crimp
    20grains AA#9, = 1,091 fps 1.75 inch group

255 grain cast Keith SWC (mostly wheel weights)
    18.0 grains AA#9, = 1,025 fps and a 1.0 inch group

305 grain SSK hard cast (looks like a blunt Minuteman Missle)
    12 grains AA # 9, = 825 fps and a 2.0 inch group

These did not have a huge muzzle flash and were controllable. Plus they were OK in the velocity dept. for a short barrel.

I went through a bunch of other loads using H-110, Blue Dot and 2400 which made huge fire-balls and huge groups.

More to follow.......................
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Remember the old Astra is only close to on par with the Taurus 44mag which is not to be hot roded. Spare parts are scarce
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think HP-38 or AA-5 might perform better in a barrel that short ! These also might even further reduce muzzle flash.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Ole standby Bullseye should do well with accuracy and controllability. Used to load quite a few for my brother, I think it was 7g under a 240g Keath at about 900fps from his 3 but dont load that without checking it.

A full case of Trialboss should get great accuracy and be controllable with any of those bullets. I dont know what speeds or flash you will get from a snub nose but its worth a try Id think.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I think HP-38 or AA-5 might perform better in a barrel that short ! These also might even further reduce muzzle flash.
    HP-38 does great for my 4" Taurus with the cast bullets. Recoil is nil with the reduced loads for 200 & 240 grainers.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Goofed around today with my buddy's 2 3/4 inch Stainless ASTRA...
    We were looking for a light round for rabbits and otehr small game.
    While he likes the 255 grain KEITH style slugs, I was thinking that it would be good to have his light loads looking much different from his heavy bear defense loads.
    So I tried some 210 grain Sierra JHPs. They will not open at low speeds and they are fairly accurate.

This load looks promising.

210 grain Sierra JHP.
    8.8 grains POWER PISTOL
    Star Line Brass, CCI-350 primer
    Roll crimp into cannelure
    VEL= 880 fps with a 20 fps extreme spread.
    Group at 15 yards. 1/2 inch ragged hole
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

i shoot an old 6 1/2" three screw ruger & a 4" smith using the same load. at reasonable hunting ranges using the same components ( heavy hard cast lead bullets) terminal ballistics seem about the same. generally my loads crono about 1150fps which is plenty. with a shorter barrel 2 1/2-3"
    of course there would be more ejecta, or unburned powder. velocity would suffer and muzzle blast would increase. all these things can be mitigated by trying different powder/loads. i prefer unique, aa5 & aa9, as low volumn powder can "explode" or detonate rather than burn. judging by your progress so far, it would seem that your loads are about right. good job.
    happy trails.
    jh