Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there ANY float-plane flying in Utah???

Default Is there ANY float-plane flying in Utah???

I had a customer here this last summer who said there is no floatplane flying at all in Utah... Just wondering if that is true...
    I am thinking about winters in a slighty warmer, but much drier place...
    Anyone been to a place called Price, Utah ? They have a 1,000 yard shooting range and an airport... That is all I know so far..
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't know why there wouldn't be. They have numerous large lakes and reservoirs. You can always get salty on Great Salt Lake.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Apparently there are no seaplane bases in Utah, http://www.ourairports.com/countries...?show=seaplane,
    but there are lakes open to seaplanes in Utah http://www.seaplanes.org/mambo/index...tates&state=UT

Default Ever been there?

Why would you fly a float plane in one of the most arid states in the country? Most of the land there is fed/blm so use it - with your wheels. Just an idea.

And about that list, no one in their right mind would ever land in Utah Lake in even the very finest of weather. And Salt Lake? Eww.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

All of the flying that I know of in Utah is either on Fixed wing Wheels or helicopters. Down Monument Valley way they do a lot of flying in support of Colorado River Rafting. Its a summer gig, and with Floats flying in Alaska being what it is, Spring Summer and early fall are your busy times. I would think a better place would be Florida for winter float flying. A friend of mine dose that or did. He would leave Alaska in Oct go to Florida and fly and do some A+P stuff. I understand the reason for wanting something for the winter months. Aircraft are just to expensive to just leave sitting for 6 to 7 months out of the year.

The gal who I had for a customer said that they had regulated seaplane flying to death in Utah. But she was a fairly new pilot.
    So I was wondering if we had any Utah pilots here....

I like the dry aspect of Utah (my lungs are starting to dislike the damp) and Utah seems to be very low crime and conservative. At least on paper.

Florida is a little damp and crowded for my taste.. Might as well head on down to the Virgin Islands......

Florida is soggy, has, bugs, hurricanes, tonadoes, and CB's and is full of Yankees. Think about the PNW East of the Cascades and West of the Rockies...say maybe central Idaho great flying there....wheels, skis or floats.....and cheaper than Homer!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BH206L3 View Post
    All of the flying that I know of in Utah is either on Fixed wing Wheels or helicopters. Down Monument Valley way they do a lot of flying in support of Colorado River Rafting. Its a summer gig, and with Floats flying in Alaska being what it is, Spring Summer and early fall are your busy times. I would think a better place would be Florida for winter float flying. A friend of mine dose that or did. He would leave Alaska in Oct go to Florida and fly and do some A+P stuff. I understand the reason for wanting something for the winter months. Aircraft are just to expensive to just leave sitting for 6 to 7 months out of the year.
    Your friend did the A+P work because he couldn't make it on flying alone in Florida. While all that water would seem to make Florida the Camelot of the country, folks here like boats but just don't like airplanes.

I was raised in Utah, the law there for off airport use is you have to have permission from the land-water owner. That's where it gets sticky, I have spent some time in price, I equate it to bethel for ak, and it can get very cold in the winter, Utah is great for airport to airport most will have cars you can borrow for a few hrs. But I would be very surprised if you ever got permission to land on any public lake. There was a guy that ran out of fuel once and had to land on I-80 long flat four lanes, and strait as an arrow for 30 miles, they made him take the plane apart and haul it off. I have flown every corner of that state, but I was in a mooney and had lots of fun, you may have better chance farther south in St. George stays warm all year mostly retirement folks and college kids but its not all that small.

If you would like to pick my brain on some of the better parts of Utah pm me

I knew a state pilot who went to lake Powell to open up a float plane operation when he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    I knew a state pilot who went to lake Powell to open up a float plane operation when he retired.

http://www.seaplanes.org/mambo/index...owell&state=UT

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    I was raised in Utah, the law there for off airport use is you have to have permission from the land-water owner. That's where it gets sticky, I have spent some time in price, I equate it to bethel for ak, and it can get very cold in the winter, Utah is great for airport to airport most will have cars you can borrow for a few hrs. But I would be very surprised if you ever got permission to land on any public lake. There was a guy that ran out of fuel once and had to land on I-80 long flat four lanes, and strait as an arrow for 30 miles, they made him take the plane apart and haul it off. I have flown every corner of that state, but I was in a mooney and had lots of fun, you may have better chance farther south in St. George stays warm all year mostly retirement folks and college kids but its not all that small.

If you would like to pick my brain on some of the better parts of Utah pm me
    It's my understanding that if power boats are allowed on a body of water, floatplanes cannot be prohibited. You might want to verify that . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    It's my understanding that if power boats are allowed on a body of water, floatplanes cannot be prohibited. You might want to verify that . . . . .
    I may be wrong but i spent a lot of time on many lakes and never saw a float plane on one, when I was young my family spent quite a bit of time on Powell but its a big lake. I know they shut down low level over the lake too many guys coming down and dipping the wheels and losing it, I hope they have lightend up but would doubt it, more California natives around Utah than locals and they are shutting places down fast, there are places in Utah you can't even have a four wheeler in the back of your truck, or on a trailer! Sad but true, if you want to see what happens when you give the greenes an inch just look what they have done to that state

I know for a fact that in Utah there are many lakes that allow boats but its state law you can't land on them.

there are places in Utah you can't even have a four wheeler in the back of your truck, or on a trailer!
    WOW !!! They are coming here too,,, I guess I am boxed in....I need a time machine...

if you didnt notice, utah is a desert.
    Semper Fi!

Premium Member

I know for a fact that in Utah there are many lakes that allow boats but its state law you can't land on them.
    It's my recollection that, unless it's a PRIVATE lake, the Feds control navigation upon it. You might want to check the federal regulations. Related regulations - - - and laws - - - usually have to do with contamination, in this case that usually means gas and oil from internal combustion engines. Check with Corps of Engineers and Coast Guard regs. The FAA might help, too. As in the case of the Intracoastal Waterway, most folks think floatplanes are prohibited. They are not.

There are places in Utah you can't even have a four wheeler in the back of your truck, or on a trailer! Sad but true, if you want to see what happens when you give the greenes an inch just look what they have done to that state
    There are places in Alaska where flyout fishing lodges post fishing guides for weeks at a time. Under penalty of law they are required to leave no evidence of having ever been there, no tracks, no refuse. The guide is required to poop in a bucket and remove it when they leave the area.
    Good for the greens in Utah for managing to preserve some wilderness areas in pristine condition without the intrusive noise of 4 wheelers, big corporation mining interests, oil speculators, etc.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    There are places in Alaska where flyout fishing lodges post fishing guides for weeks at a time. Under penalty of law they are required to leave no evidence of having ever been there, no tracks, no refuse. The guide is required to poop in a bucket and remove it when they leave the area.
    Good for the greens in Utah for managing to preserve some wilderness areas in pristine condition without the intrusive noise of 4 wheelers, big corporation mining interests, oil speculators, etc.
    Any restrictions on where the wilder animals have to poop? This all certainly sounds silly to this old timer !

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Any restrictions on where the wilder animals have to poop? This all certainly sounds silly to this old timer !
    Here is one example: http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildV...a%20Management
    Here is another, scroll down to "Pack it in pack it out." http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/misc/wtchuntbro.pdf

I haven't found the one where the guide has to pack out his own poop, but it was a place close to fresh water on both sides up the Kulukuk River on a marshy island area where latrines 6 to 8 inches deep could not be dug at least 200 feet from fresh water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast