Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Guy with Bow...., a few questions for you folks

Default New Guy with Bow...., a few questions for you folks

So, I stop in to the Sportsmens in Fbks, with a friend,.... we think, "Let's talk to the guys, about Bows !!"

a short while later, we're hooked up with a good guy, knows something about it all, Forrest, I think his name was
    and he's got us shooting a few arrows,...and,
    WE'RE TOTALLY HOOKED

Lots of good information for a box store guy,...appreciated that completely
    Then we stop by and talk with Andrew, of Precision in Fbks,...and as you AOD guys had recommended,
    He told us Tons of good info, but was short of starter bows, selling like hotcakes I guess

So, a few days later, in Anch. on Craigslist I see a "Mathews Craze," still available,...for a great price, guy shot it a few times, Quit

And, Now,.... Here I am, owner of a new Bow, hoping to get my 11 yr old son into this sometime soon,
    and learn enough myself before moving up (??) if I even need to move up,...this seems like it may harvest critters like crazy ??
    This appears to be a pretty good adjustable bow by the internet opinions, for a start up for myself and for my son's future

Now, I am the classic case of...., "Bought a Bow, with cash in a parking lot," have no tips from the Archery Shop Pros,
    It has already been setup with pretty good gear all around,
    So, I'm ready to get started, but wondering if there is a good place to get tips, training ??

Is there a good website, or should I ask around here, go to Youtube, etc. for information on how to start up without developing bad habits, etc.

I'm on Kodiak Island, and was actually totally surprised to see almost nothing Bowhunt related
    at our favorite Sporting Goods store here,...not even a target

I'm up for any good tips, even on building your homemade target, etc. ????????

This is Obviously a Really Cool way to Hunt, so I'm on catch-up mode with you folks,...
    any help for the guy who skipped the Specialty store advantage?? Now figuring it all out from scratch ??

Especially Kodiak Contacts, to the Archery Community, would be great
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I am also fairly new to the archery world, but welcome, it has been very addicting for me, I sounds like you are on the same path. I can at least help you with the building a target thing. I have built a few. I built one during my most recent deployment that was just some sandbags i stitched together to make a very large one about the size of a large bag of dog food. Then I stuffed it full of plastic wrap that we had lying around, they use it to secure pallets of water bottles. (You might be able to get it from somewhere that gets alot of things shipped to it. ie. grocery store, liquor store, maybe even a sports store.) Have also heard of people stuffing targets with and old tarp or two. Filled with old plastic wrap lasted the entire deployment and did not look like it was going to be worn out anytime soon. I have also made one using a dog food bag, and stuffed it with old foam blocks I found in of some boxes that were being thrown away. This one worked for about a month of shooting everyday before the dog food bag wore out. The sand bag filled with plastic wrap stopped bows up to 70#, but was usually only getting shot by 40-55# bows. Hope this helps

My best advice is to find someone or an archery range with an experianced mentor to teach you hands on. I was told, and I now beleive that you should have someone watch you shoot once a year to make sure your form is still correct and to break any bad habits you have started. My wife and I do this for each other but also seek others. Shooting a bow is not difficult. Shootinga bows consistantly and accuratly is the challenge. Here are a couple tips that I hope will help:

1. You don't have to have a 70#bow turned up to70#. Start low and build up. Get your form before speed. I still shoot at 64#
    2. Make sure the bow is fitted for you and tuned properly. This should be the first thing you do
    3. When you draw the string, make sure the string finds the same spot. Every time. Mine always touches the tip of my nose
    4. Be consistent. My arrows hit differently if I have a chew in my lip or not. It's that critical
    5. Practice, practice, practice. Shoot as much as you can.Even if it's just a couple arrows a day.

Iam sure others have better advise but this is what stands out for me and works. Congrates on your jump into archery and good luck, your gonna love this ride!
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Default New Guy with Bow...., a few questions for you folks

You can go hardware store and buy some blue board/ Styrofoam. About 10 to 12 inch thick. Cut sheets about 3x3 or what ever works for you. There you have a target.
    If you call full curl Archery in anchorage I'm sure they mite send you what ever you need.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Lot's of considerations when shooting a bow. Form is very important. One tip, don't grip the bow with your whole hand. It's important to lightly grasp the handle with maybe only your thumb and pointer finger. Press the palm of your hand into the grip and cradle it with your fingers. The idea is to not torque the bow from side to side.

You probably also need to get your draw length figured out and for the bow to be fitted to you. Everyone is different and you want a bow to fit you perfectly otherwise it will affect your shooting. If you're ever in Anchorage check out Full Curl Archery. Also I can meet you at the outdoor range and run through everything with you if you want. I've been shooting bows since I was 9 years old and hunting with one almost exclusively since I was 12 (I'm 30 now). Anyway, congrats on the new bow. If you have any specific questions there's lots of folks here that would be happy to help. I'm sure there's lots of Youtube videos to that would be helpful.

Good luck!

Kodiakrain first some good info here above to start but to be perfectly honest I would love to help you out but cant type that much...lol If you want to talk about some basics and form give me a call over the weekend and I will try to help you anyway i can.. I do have experience at both hunting and pro archery....
    Dave
    907-244-2553

ps really bad habbits for new guys...
    torqueing the bow(holding grip too tight causes left right shots depending on what hand you shoot) tip:grab you boy by the grip hole it at arms length lightly without drawing now squeese the handle and watch what the sight does.. at full draw your fingers of the hand holding the bow should be relaxed. the hand is simply the pedistal for the bow

dumping the shot: getting on taget and snapping off the trigger...causes antipication.. try to pull through the shot with a slight building pressure on the trigger(back tension) until the shot goes off and you arm will go back vs staying at your face as in follow through......ever see a golfer hit the ball and the club stop when it strikes the ball

peaking.... it is when your shot goes off and you drop the bow to see where it hits...problem is you start anticipating the shot too soon and will have low left or low right shots depending on what hand you are shooting... the fix is to hold up your arm and let the bow naturally fall away(wear a wrist sling)...

those are the biggest bad habbits that are hardest to break so avoid them
    Last edited by Bear; 11-08-2012 at 22:04. Reason: content

Archerytalk.com I learned alot off that forum I also knew guys as well that showed me. 3d shoots in Arizona had the opportunities to shoot with the pse pro shooters great bunch of guys

Oh guys buying small brace height bows and can't shoot them. Smaller the brace height the less forgiving it is...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Archerytalk.com I learned alot off that forum I also knew guys as well that showed me. 3d shoots in Arizona had the opportunities to shoot with the pse pro shooters great bunch of guys
    LOL I tried to avoid telling him about archerytalk...figured it would be too hard to weed through all the nonsense used to be a great sight..

Thanks you guys, big time,...
    and, I did run into Archerytalk already,...does look a little mucky, but I signed up, see if I can wade thru it for the good advise

This is just the kind of stuff I was looking for,...Type away everyone, seriously, these are great tips
    I get the open fingers, or relaxed grip idea, but have lots of questions about my stance, shoulders,... hips,...positioning(?) kind of stuff
    does all that matter as much as I imagine it might ?

When up north, I kinda figured I'd be able to find an old pro in Kodiak, but not so sure as I look around,....so here I am, asking

For info, I do have a 29"draw length, and this bow is set for that already
    and the bow is set at 68lbs draw weight, now, which I can do, but realize is not the way to start

How lightly do I set the draw weight for easy starting,...how do I know what is the right tension for starting out ??
    Just set it really low, to practice form first, maybe ?

I may be able to call ya Bear, on the weekend, if the weather holds nasty, but I don't think it will
    and I need to get out west doing some rifle hunting this Fall Soon, and this weekend may be my shot at it
    so will certainly call you sometime, later if I am out of town this weekend (thanks for offering)

another question, for a stance aid, to keep square with target ?
    and what range would you start out at, like ten yards, or so ?
    How many arrows do you guys shoot in a standard session,...
    How many did you start out shooting, like each session, to build up the specific muscles needed, without overdoing it
    causing injury strains or bad shooting techniques

I really appreciate all tips, ideas, connections, etc.,
    May even track some of you down when in Anch, or the valley next,...
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

archerytalk is good for specific topics..use the search thread and you will be fine.. just keep it simple in the beginning way to easy to get overwhelmed

stance.. seen several.. i shoot slightly quartering towards the target(see if I can find a pic) release arm in line with my bow arm..

dont start at 68 pounds at all... will do more harm then good..drop at least 10pounds you said a Craze so dropping 10 or 15 should be fine(some bows cant do more then ten but as always check with manufacture) you want to be comfortable vs the havin to point at the sky and yank as hard as you can..
    start close at 5 to make sure you are on target then slowly move backwards,if and when you are shooting tight groups change to a multi target...robin hoods are cool but arrows are expensive..
    dont shoot tired it will only creat bad habbits and NEVER change your sights at the end of a practice session when you are tired, put the bow up and shoot when refreshed

didnt touch on anchor point but you will want a peep sight (difference between rifle sight and scope IMHO ) be consistant.. nose on string and depending on type of release knuckle or finger on jaw.. bow will shoot in same whole every shot if you let it...

When you drop your poundage be sure to match your arrow with it. Spine is important
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    When you drop your poundage be sure to match your arrow with it. Spine is important
    Hmmm, how do I find information on this,...I have 6 Easton Wildthing 400 arrows (came with the package)
    they are N-fused Carbon Nano (7.7 gpi)

and it seemed I read that they are a narrower shaft than most,...
    do I need to get something else, if I drop down to 35, or maybe 50lbs to get started?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Hmmm, how do I find information on this,...I have 6 Easton Wildthing 400 arrows (came with the package)
    they are N-fused Carbon Nano (7.7 gpi)

and it seemed I read that they are a narrower shaft than most,...
    do I need to get something else, if I drop down to 35, or maybe 50lbs to get started?
    Your shafts are on the stiffer side made for the upper range of your bow. I have not had any issues when shooting too much spine. However I have had trouble when shooting arrows without enough spine.

check out this site for a better explanation.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_..._chapter_3.htm
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

If you plan on hunting with heavier weighted bow at 60 to 65 depending on length and point weight you will be fin with a 400 arrow. For getting started don't worry about being over splined meaning arrows that are too stiff for the bow. Spline come more so I to play when shooting broad heads and longer distances. At indoor events most target shooters are shooting and arrow so over splined it would take a 100 pound bow to be correct. Too weak on the other hand is a big no no as it is in extreme cases like dry firing a bow. Spline I'd the stiffness of the arrow. Doesn't matter how thick the arrow is. Usually on carbons it will be like 340 400 500 on aluminums will be like 2314 2315 which is diameter and thickness , more too it then that but keep it simple in the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Your shafts are on the stiffer side made for the upper range of your bow. I have not had any issues when shooting too much spine. However I have had trouble when shooting arrows without enough spine.

check out this site for a better explanation.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_..._chapter_3.htm
    Must of been typin when u posted this... Good link Steve

So, I do realize I have a lot of reading to do, but since you guys are here,...

I'll take a shortcut, ask what do you recommend I start with for Draw Weight,...
    I'm pretty strong, in shoulders, etc. can draw back this bow set at 68lbs somewhat easily,
    but I know it won't be real to start out that way, have no Bow shooting muscles developed yet

having read that only 50lbs is required to hunt Moose,... apparently that is a Large Game hunting minimum,...

and I'll be practicing all winter before any hunting potential happens,...maybe Black Bear in spring, so, for now,
    I should back it down to 35,...45??
    Is it possible to answer that without seeing how it works for me, as I draw back?

at Sportsmens, in fbks, the friend I was with, a pretty strong woman, was encouraged by the clerk there to go down to 27 lbs,
    so as we were talking about her buying the bow, we both shot the same bow at targets at that weight,
    was real easy to pull back, and real encouraging to see results, and seemed to make sense to start out easy and light like that, work on form first

What would you guys recommend to a friend, a starting point with an adjustable 15-70 lb bow ??

PS: Great Link Steve, thanks

I can only speak for myself, but when I started I found 50lbs easy enough to manage. Form is key and it really helps to have a spotter or maybe even film yourself. I would read up on paper tuning as well. I can say that I chased my tail a long time before a mentor helped me setup my bow correctly. Hard to try to solve a form problem with a bow that is not tuned. Once I learned how to paper tune it all came together.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but when I started I found 50lbs easy enough to manage. Form is key and it really helps to have a spotter or maybe even film yourself. I would read up on paper tuning as well. I can say that I chased my tail a long time before a mentor helped me setup my bow correctly. Hard to try to solve a form problem with a bow that is not tuned. Once I learned how to paper tune it all came together.
    I started at 90lbs come on Steve your about to get relegated to the 3d coolest guy I kind of know... Lol anymore I use my 60lb xforce shooting gt 3555 at 27 inches long, 3 inch vanes and 100gr thunderheads. With this combo I'm getting 299-300 f.p.s. I don't even bother with 70 lb bows anymore. Yeah I don't get on archery talk much anymore. But 6-7 yrs ago great site.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    I started at 90lbs come on Steve your about to get relegated to the 3d coolest guy I kind of know... Lol anymore I use my 60lb xforce shooting gt 3555 at 27 inches long, 3 inch vanes and 100gr thunderheads. With this combo I'm getting 299-300 f.p.s. I don't even bother with 70 lb bows anymore. Yeah I don't get on archery talk much anymore. But 6-7 yrs ago great site.
    I'm Okay with not being a cool guy. Never felt a need to measure much of anything really and only checked my draw weight when I could no long pull it back after I got hurt to make sure I was legal. I'm just happy when the pointy part goes where I want and that I can find what I shoot.
    Founding Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast