Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ .375 accuracy question?

Default CZ .375 accuracy question?

Hey guys, I own a CZ 550 safari magnum and I'm struggling to get good accuracy out of it. I was curious about the size groups some of you guy are getting? I'm shooting 270 grain Swift A-Frame and pushing it with Varget. Any info would be great. I'm thinking I may bed the stock or buy a composite for it.

It has a long barrel with a fairly aggressive twist rate of 1:12". Switch to a heavier bullet and possibly a slower powder. Check the tightness of the action screws.....and quit flinching.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Hey guys, I own a CZ 550 safari magnum and I'm struggling to get good accuracy out of it. I was curious about the size groups some of you guy are getting? I'm shooting 270 grain Swift A-Frame and pushing it with Varget. Any info would be great. I'm thinking I may bed the stock or buy a composite for it.
    Probably doesn't like that combo at all... Try some 300 gr bullet as mainer said heck try a different 270gr bullet. When I loaded for 375 I used 4064 it worked great with 270 hornadies

Default Re: CZ .375 accuracy question?

Lol... No flinch here!
    I will give some 300's a try. Any recommendation on power?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Probably doesn't like that combo at all... Try some 300 gr bullet as mainer said heck try a different 270gr bullet. When I loaded for 375 I used 4064 it worked great with 270 hornadies
    I've always read that the 375 was is a fairly accurate caliber.

What is "good" accuracy?

I've not loaded for dozens of H&Hs, but I've never had a problem getting very acceptable accuracy with Varget or Reloader 15 in the many different H&H chambered rifles of my acquaintance. In fact, the 375 H&H is normally a pretty boring proposition. Take a 260-270 grain bullet, add 73-75 grains of RL-15 and you normally get very good accuracy and about 2700 fps.

I'd check all of the normal stuff first: i.e. scope mounts, action screws, bedding, etc. I'd not overlook the bore of your rifle. A-Frames have softer jackets (pure copper) than most other manufacturers and that can sometimes seriously foul a bore that's a bit rough. I've seen erratic accuracy with A-Frames in some rifles. This is no flame on A-Frames--they're great game killing bullets--just an observation from shooting various bullets for many years.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Default CZ .375 accuracy question?

I get .75" groups at 100 in my XCR with Imr-4064 (72 grains) and a hornady 270 grain spare point.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Have to agree. Speer, Sierrs, Hornady 270 gr.; CCI 250 primer; anybodys brass and 72.5 gr of 4064; 3.645 OAL. One thing I always do is trim my cases so they are always the same lenght. Seems to help. All copper and pure copper bullets never seem to work as well for me so I just stick to the old cup and core stuff. Oh and I have had real good luck with Nosler accubond, the ones with the white tip same load otherwise.

Well I am running copper cleaner in the barrel right now. It doesn't look bad, but there is certainly copper in it.
    I just finished bedding my 30.06 and i have leftover, I think i will inlet my stock an get it bedded.

My cheap Mark X cloverleafed some Federal Safari Grade TSXs (factory load) @ 100yd.

I was playing with a "cheap" load and shot some of the Hornady 300gr RN over RL15 and grouped about 1.5" @ 100yd. with minimum charge.

Seems my limited experience and most of the reading i've done indicates .375s have an affinity for the 300gr bullets. I also agree 4064 and RL15 seem made for the .375!

My experience similar to other opinions. I have a Winchester model 70 in 375 h&h. Tried shooting 270 grains and the group was over 6 inches at 100 yards! Was not happy and thought gun might be a lemon but second load I tried was different. Tried factory Remington safari ammo with 300 grain a frames and gun shoots just under 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I still can hardly believe a simple ammo change can make that much difference.

why do you have to go directly into a bedding job after only shooting a single (not ideal) bullet in the rifle? Why not just try the optimal bullet weight before going through all that hassle?

The most accurate bullet I've found in my .375 is the 300gr Hornady RN. The 260AB shoots ok but not like the Hornady.

You don't mention what kind of accuracy you're actually getting...how bad is it? If you could get 2" at 100yds you'd be pretty well set for anything you'd kill with a .375. I've had issues in a few rifles with the TSX and other copper bullets with fouling ruining accuracy after only a handful of shots. Other rifles seem more tolerant of softer material.

I'd scrub it clean and try another bullet before I did anything.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    why do you have to go directly into a bedding job after only shooting a single (not ideal) bullet in the rifle? Why not just try the optimal bullet weight before going through all that hassle?
    I've shot several bullets it it so far! Barns, nosler, hornaday, and swift. Weights from 250 to 300. But the only powders I've used is 4064 and varget. The swift 270 shoot the best at 1.75" I like shooting and would like to see better accuracy. As it stands its the most inaccurate rifle I own.

I have had good luck with my 375 using IMR4831. I got a pile of it at flea market prices is the only reason I tried it but it does work, FYI the IMR version is a good bit faster than the H version behaving more like H4350. It takes a bunch of it to get the bullets up to speed but it will push 300s to 2500fps out of my 20" barrel, the loads are just compressed. I have also had good luck with H414. These two powders have worked with all manner of bullets, 235speer, 260AB, 270X, 300sierra and 300Barnes original as well as some 350gr Barnes originals I scrounged up.

Bedding your stock is a good idea, not only for accuracy but because the 550s in the Magnum calibers are notorious stock splitters. If your gun has the barrel holddown screw I would recommend full length contact with the barrel instead of trying to do some freefloating gymnastics. This is how I bed all of my personal rifles and also what Mel Forbes recommends. Were it my rifle I would bob the barrel and take the woodrasp to the stock to shed some bulk, but that's another story. Have fun

Yes that rifle had a ton of stock! I would really like a composite, but cz stock is 425+shipping. They can't even tell me the weight of it! I would like to chop the barrel, but I love the idea of express sights.

Whack that barrel and order the proper height and diameter banded front from NECG. If you get the right height front your rear set of leaves will still be usable. Could even get a banded swivel and plug the hole in the forend where the factory unit was if you were to do the stock trimming and slimming. Man can never have enough rifle projects you know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Whack that barrel and order the proper height and diameter banded front from NECG. If you get the right height front your rear set of leaves will still be usable. Could even get a banded swivel and plug the hole in the forend where the factory unit was if you were to do the stock trimming and slimming. Man can never have enough rifle projects you know!
    You bring up a great point! I'm just finishing up a project now. My first rifle is ready to be dipped in camo. Its a full pound lighter too! How long of barrel would you recommend on a .375?

Mine wears a light contour PacNor cut at 20". It is a handy length albeit a little on the light side for a 375 at 7# loaded and ready to go. Seems 22" is a good length but I have an affinity for 20" barreled rifles and don't think it makes a huge difference. A friend of mine shoots a 375AI with a 21" barrel and has great results. I would base it upon how well balanced it looks with the length of the forend and not worry too much about fps.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    I'm shooting 270 grain Swift A-Frame and pushing it with Varget. Any info would be great. I'm thinking I may bed the stock or buy a composite for it.
    Are you adjusting for seating depth or just seating bullets and shooting?
    Have you shot any production ammo in that rifle with better results?
    What power is your optic? Target shooting with low power DG scopes is tough.
    Ar you bagged in and shooting on a calm day?
    What size groups are you expecting?

Lots of guys on here are getting good results with the 375's. Common powders are RL-15 and H4350. A good starting distance from the lands with round nose, A-Frame or Partitions is .025 off. Pointed bullets like Accubond's, Game King's and TSX's have done well for me between .050 - .100 off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast