Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explosion .308 Win

Default Explosion .308 Win

At the local outdoor range an Oriental man blew the living snot out of his brand new Savage yesterday morning. I'm not a Savage connoisseur but it was a nice law enforcement model with a fluted heavy barrel and a fairly nice looking stock.

The man had facial injuries. The bolt blew back and hit him in the safety glasses. From there it slide down and punctured the cheek skin and ripped a large chunk of flesh off his face, bone was exposed. The range safety officers administered first aid and called an EMT. The local sheriff department showed up with the fire truck/EMT team.

The barrel and stock appeared to be intact, I wasn't able to inspect the rifle. The action swelled and the bolt shot out into his face. I listened to some of the questions the safety officers were asking. Evidently he wanted more velocity out of his load so he substituted a pistol powder in place of his normal powder load. This guy is a true idiot and fortunate to be alive.

Something that I thought was interesting. The sheriff took the rifle and ammo into his possession. Perhaps they will examine it or maybe they just keep it until the shooter claims it.

I never really thought about the dangers of shooting near another hand loader. I generally don't shoot anyone's load. The exception is close friends with safe reloading practices. I think anyone within 25 feet of this clown was in danger. The thought of pistol powder in a rifle makes me cringe. If this rifle would have been a light weight non tactical version instead of a heavy action heavy barrel version it probably would have scatter steel everywhere.

Be careful out there...

Super scary! Yikes.

Sounds like the velocity he got was out of the bolt not the bullet !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Wow that's crazy some people's kids...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Evidently he wanted more velocity out of his load so he substituted a pistol powder in place of his normal powder load...
    Curious how you discovered this info?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Wonder if someone could run the Quickload data on that.... say 50gr of WST in a .308 case? Bet the pressure had to be well over 100kpsi...

Just wow.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The barrel and stock appeared to be intact, I wasn't able to inspect the rifle. The action swelled and the bolt shot out into his face. I listened to some of the questions the safety officers were asking. Evidently he wanted more velocity out of his load so he substituted a pistol powder in place of his normal powder load. This guy is a true idiot and fortunate to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Curious how you discovered this info?
    Keep up with conversation eye of the tiger...

Risin' up, back on the street
    Did my time, took my chances
    Went the distance
    Now I'm back on my feet
    Just a man and his will to survive
    It's the eye of the tiger
    It's the thrill of the fight
    Risin' up to the challenge
    Of our rival
    And the last known survivor
    Stalks his prey in the night
    And he's watching us all with the

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Keep up with conversation eye of the tiger...
    I'm sorry, did I miss somewhere in the conversation where it was disclosed how marshall knew the guy was shooting a pistol powder...?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'm sorry, did I miss somewhere in the conversation where it was disclosed how marshall knew the guy was shooting a pistol powder...?
    I listened to some of the questions the safety officers were asking. Evidently he wanted more velocity out of his load so he substituted a pistol powder in place of his normal powder load.
    Looks like he went spy hard . . . and listened to what the guy was telling the responders.

Marshall, sheriff Joe’s MCSO or PCSO?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I saw the commotion about 20 lanes to my left. The guy was laying on the deck and the range safety officers were yelling cease fire over the PA. Being the curious type that I am I went down to see what was happening. The injured fellow was in somewhat of a daze and spewing answers to questions rather freely.

Andy, it was Maricopa County, Sheriff Joe's boys showed up. They have a small out post up Usery Pass just a few miles north of the range. They use this range quite a bit themselves.

This was the first reloader explosion I've ever seen. I didn't actually witness it, I was just there at the time it happened and saw the after effects. I've seen the occasional failure to fire, failure to chamber or failure to exit the barrel but never a bomb.

The thought of someone actually using a pistol powder in a rifle cartridge just blows my mind.

Back in the 70's I was working in a sporting goods store that had such an idiot as a client. He used LEE loaders (the old hammer type) and loaded a full dipper of Unique in 06 cases and Bullseye in his 12 gauge cases with much the same results about 2 weeks apart. He wasn't hurt either time, but came back at us for selling him defective guns. Lots of drama and lawyer yelling, but it never made it as far as court when our Johny Law pointed out the directions on the loader and the guy's lawyer advised him to drop the whole thing or he'd triple his legal fees for taking the case. We banned the guy from the shop, but he went after the gun makers next with the same results. Then he started writing letters to the editors about what bums we and the gun manufacturers were. What a waste of time, stretching out over close to 4 years before the newspapers banned the guy too.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Looks like he went spy hard . . .
    Thank you Andy. I did miss that sentence, even having read the statement a couple times. Was at the eye doc yesterday tho, and was kind of blurry thereafter. Would be interesting to know what the powder was, just for grins.
    #Resist

Usery park they have one hell of a archery course out there. Usually the 1st leg of the Arizona 3d triple crown held there.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Usery park they have one hell of a archery course out there. Usually the 1st leg of the Arizona 3d triple crown held there.

Yep, lots of fun. I've shot out there twice with some friends. I'm a novice archery shooter and I shoot traditional. It gets a little spendy when the cedar shaft arrow hits a rock...

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Yep, lots of fun. I've shot out there twice with some friends. I'm a novice archery shooter and I shoot traditional. It gets a little spendy when the cedar shaft arrow hits a rock...
    Marshall, stick to the hay bales in Jack's back yard...it's a lot safer for you and everyone around!

Eric,

Did you stick a deer in the last couple of days?

I've been pretty solid inside of 30 yards lots of fun. At least I can hit a paper plate most of the time. You trigger release, training wheel mechanical arrow shooters crack me up.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

No, but I have stories and some excuses...I did however "stick" one that's in my freezer from a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ekberger View Post
    No, but I have stories and some excuses...I did however "stick" one that's in my freezer from a couple of weeks ago.
    Sweet, wish I was there.

A friend from work stopped by the other day. He has a Bear bow that he bought new in 1963. It's a 45X (46) Kodiak Hunter. It looks as new as any bow on the shelf I've ever seen, not a scratch on it. He even has the original quiver. Jack is making a set a arrows for him. 6 target points and 6 broad heads, footed shafts.

I am wondering if the chap turned to his buddy before he pulled the trigger and said "watch this" as the banjo played in the background, good grief....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I am wondering if the chap turned to his buddy before he pulled the trigger and said "watch this" as the banjo played in the background, good grief....
    Hahaha, yea a red-neck Asian. They are out there, I went to school with a guy of Japanese decent that was a heck of a bull rider and not at all bad with a rope ether. Yup, he was real prone to “hey watch this” antics too.

I have seen many a blown up gun but never a bolt action that pushed the bolt out the back. Makers are so afraid of that the over-kill it big time, must have been just amazing pressures to push the bolt out the back like that!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast