Thread: big lake

Default big lake

i have heard of lake trout in big lake for years now just very very few by only a few people but i have never seen one in any form or met someone who actualy caught one and i use an under water camera and have for 4 years now this will be my 5th and big lake is my spot i live on it pretty much so makes sence but as i feel there are no lake trout in big lake anyone have any thought or experience? fish stories are one of alaskas greatests gifts! i honestly dont know of any lakes in the wasilla palmer area with lake trout other then long lake "glenn" would be sweet to know of some more close ones as well, byers is sweet if you dont mind a drive and know were the shelves are g'f caught 5 and released in 30 min's all over 27" under 32.5 she is a good luck charm on the water as we all did great all day she just couldnt do more then 30 mins due to the cold

I've heard the same about lake trout in big lake too, never seen any though. I have seen pictures of decent pike come out of there but haven't caught any yet, the same for whitefish. There are burbot there which is nice. Last year pulled a salmon through the ice and initially thought it was a silver but could have been a really late red too, not really sure - two troopers stopped by a few minutes after and said they have never seen anything like that come out of there in the winter time after looking at the pictures. All of the rainbows I have caught and seen come out of there are great looking fish. Arctic char in there too, I have seen some real big ones under the ice but have not broke the 30" mark yet but have come close several times.

last year i caught my nicest char its in the pics post but it was 31" gotten a couple in the 33" range one 34" lots under. as for pike last year as well i saw a dot on cam that grew very large and wham!! all teeth missed him some how but the guys next to me got him a solid 36" and fat made me happy he could do some damage and as for the salmon i have seen silvers on camera in december! and have caught some nice burbot as well outa there 37 is the best most run 30 ish i will say remember the lake is full of sockey frie if u find them schooling all fish fallow them!

Man, that sounds like it would be a blast to have a camera down while fishing. Getting to see the activity in the lake. Im sure you have learned a lot of fish behavior from it too.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    Man, that sounds like it would be a blast to have a camera down while fishing. Getting to see the activity in the lake. Im sure you have learned a lot of fish behavior from it too.
    i have learned so much such as i dont care who you are what you use u dont always know when you get a bite specialy with them char they come up from the bottom and strike up lifting your bait and drop it i think thats why ive only caught char on a jig motion up. dont get me wrong you can feel alot of bites just not all. another one the camera helps with alot is to drill a hole jig a bit and spin the camera 360 slowly a few times to see if the fish are 20-100ft away or what level on the shelves such as a flasher but you cant scan large areas and can not see bites with a flasher. i sugest a camera in every ones gear the old marcum whent down to i believe 400 well worth it its almost cheating the troopers always hang out and watch for like 15-20 mins and get excited in what they see, gives you time to make budies!

Sounds like a blast. One of these days when I can afford it I will have to get one. It sounds like it could be fun even in the summer out of a boat or off of a dock.

if you decide to get one i would sugest looking at them all im gunna upgrade to color due to the fact you can see 100% better even though the black and white is great and you can see everything great just not like the color ones and they even make cams that are 360 deg view on a quad monitor. now for summer time they are fun to the coolest is to use them as a down rigger some are desined for it so you can watch your bait behind it way cool just a few things to think about if you do get one there are so many kinds with diferent purposes be sure to study them before you buy there is forums on the sites for them so you can get alot of info there on just them spendy make a good choice even if you need to save for one more year i do regret not payin 200 more for color when i got mine and it was 600 when i got it my loss!

i just spent a few hours looking threw youtube and theres a couple of vids on there that say big lake ak lake trout and they are some nice ones and looks like exact spots i can point out on big lake just cant say for sure theres none that have a good cabin/house pic that i can go off of. all pics on a lake are very easy found when theres a perfect landmark!

Just thought I would ask but which Byers Lake are you takling about?... thanx... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    Just thought I would ask but which Byers Lake are you takling about?... thanx... "fishon"
    I thought they where talking about Big Lake?

Well the post starts out about Big Lake then it goes into Byers Lake. And it hasen't been -30 anywhere round here yet. Thats why I was wondering... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I thought they where talking about Big Lake?

byers lake on the parks mile 160 or what ever it is. and it was big lake was talking about just thought id put out there the best lake i know of for lake trout being that was were i was going with the big lake post,is there lake trout in there positivly but as i wrote further down about youtube made me believe that there is lake trout there very old ones one i seen had pretty much no tail or fins left but that is if its the same big lake and it sure looks like it.

bob the fisher: dunno what you mean by it hasnt been -30 anywere here yet but if it was the fact that i said the g'f cant handle the cold and you figured must be cold i must say i wish the girl could hold up at below 0 but 10 or 15 is about all she can do or maybe i confused ya.

Sorry bro, yep I misread the post as 30 minus when infact is says 30 mins. Going through "lack of fishin" withdrawls and can't read it appears... thanx for clarifying... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    bob the fisher: dunno what you mean by it hasnt been -30 anywere here yet but if it was the fact that i said the g'f cant handle the cold and you figured must be cold i must say i wish the girl could hold up at below 0 but 10 or 15 is about all she can do or maybe i confused ya.

no problem bob kinda thought that was it im in the whole dieing to fish mode myself but i bet theres i difference i have the time dunno if you do but im on time off from work for a while now and a while longer and live next to many hunny holes of mine and have all the means to do it and dont have a fish yet through the ice this year, just gotta get out and do it! gunna go out tomarow ill put up nice pics tomarow if i do, well in hopes at least! gunna do big lake see were all the areas i go are on ice if i can get there

Well troutslayer, you are another one of the lucky ones then. Although I can go fishing whenever I want to as welll (no work and on disability for ever), I have the back of an old man and now have a very hard time running the ice auger. Got all the gear myself, just need help drillin the hole. Maybe we could go fishin sometime and you could help me out with that... "fishon"

very possible as i love to help people in ****y situations it always goes along ways

Kool, I'll be in touch... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    very possible as i love to help people in ****y situations it always goes along ways