Thread: Back home again....

Default Back home again....

About a week ago I left Hosea Kutako International Airport in Windhoek, Namibia, in route to Cape Town. It seems it was a long way around the barn, or more accurately , around the world but I made it back to Atlanta Saturday afternoon. I left a great hunting lodge with very nice accommodations, belonging to my friend, along the Okavango River on the Angola border.

I arrived Atlanta Saturday evening, dog-ass tired and feeling every one of my years. I retrieved my old truck, covered with red Georgia dust, from their long term storage lot. I drove through a near by car wash and on out to Stone Mountain where I communed with nature kissed the ground on which my ancestors fought and died long ago. I made it to a motel for the evening and slept all day Sunday. I then drove all night to get back home. It was one helluva a trip, very good but wore me the heck out. I spent some time on this narrow strip of land known as the Caprivi strip, traded to the Germans for the island of Zanzibar, by Queen Victoria back in the 19th century, giving Germany access to the Great Green Greasy Zambezi river........and a lot of good hunting land. My friend, a South African PH, served many years in the region with the SA army during the Rhodesian wars and was able to procure the hunting rights and deed to a very good piece of real estate. It is 25,000 hectares ( I think that's about 63,000 acres) bordering the Okavango River/Angola border region. Four of the big five and many other antelope species are available here.

I visited Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe as well as the afore mentioned Cape Town SA, en route in and out. A carried a good rifle every day and roamed freely around this hunting concession. Mostly to get a feel for, or a count if you will, of the game in the area. Absolutely awesome, wild lion and buffalo, cheetah leopard and hippo and of course Angolan elephant, pass through this region daily, along with more than a dozen other species. I did a bit of hunting but more for predator control than hunting, saw many good leopard on night time stake out.

Anyway back to the state. I got back in time to vote, woke up Wednesday morning to very bad news and a feeling of betrayal. So goes the world, so goes our rights, so goes our country. I hope it's not so bad as many believe. Also wore myself out and got a cold or the bird flu or some rare African virus. Namibia, along with South Africa, allow handguns to be brought in and used for hunting. I carried one daily....and nightly as well.

I had access to the net while out and about and was able to check in but haven't spent much time on line, having more exciting endeavors before me. I'm back to my boring life now doing what I do, .......I did buy a new pistol Tuesday, a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, very nice shooter, I cut some cards for the grand kids, lots of fun............always buy a gun on election day.

There are too many Z's in these countries. I needed to correct a name.
    Last edited by Murphy; 11-09-2012 at 12:43.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ............always buy a gun on election day.
    There is much wisdom here.

Glad you're home. Any pics????
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I got back in time to vote, woke up Wednesday morning to very bad news and a feeling of betrayal.
    That about sums it up. Shades of 1996 but Clinton was in the middle of an economy boom, inherited from Bush but I could somewhat see why many didnít want to rock that boat. Exit poling this time 54% of those voting for Obama give him a poor overall rating but they voted for him anyway. Yup, betrayal sounds about right.

Glad you had a good run over there and welcome home.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Rotten apple or orange still rotten. Congrats on the safe journey and new gun
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Rotten apple or orange still rotten. Congrats on the safe journey and new gun
    Ditto. A good read too.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    That about sums it up. Shades of 1996 but Clinton was in the middle of an economy boom, inherited from Bush but I could somewhat see why many didnít want to rock that boat. Exit poling this time 54% of those voting for Obama give him a poor overall rating but they voted for him anyway. Yup, betrayal sounds about right.

Glad you had a good run over there and welcome home.
    Welcome home Murphy. Sincerely.

A couple other threads already deleted the past 24 hours on this subject, with admonishment from the site owner. Is this thread now open to political discussion? If so, I'd be happy to add my opinion.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Welcome home Murphy. Sincerely.

A couple other threads already deleted the past 24 hours on this subject, with admonishment from the site owner. Is this thread now open to political discussion? If so, I'd be happy to add my opinion.
    No, the thread is open to discussion about my trip and my new 1911, the airport in Windhoek, the climate in Atlanta, the animals of Namibia, the rifle(s) I carried, the fauna and flora of the region and of course me. Thanks for the warm welcome. Year I moved it and it went under soon. I wonder what's open. Here of course we must stay gun and shooting related. I did not intend to embark on a political discussion just an observation and my "welcome home" realization. The country, in the rainy season, is something to see but that was lost.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Welcome home, Murphy. Truly. You are most welcome here among friends. And thank you for bringing some of the adventure with you.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

No, the thread is open to discussion about my trip and my new 1911, the airport in Windhoek, the climate in Atlanta, the animals of Namibia, the rifle(s) I carried, the fauna and flora of the region and of course me. Thanks for the warm welcome. Year I moved it and it went under soon. I wonder what's open. Here of course we must stay gun and shooting related. I did not intend to embark on a political discussion just an observation and my "welcome home" realization. The country, in the rainy season, is something to see but that was lost.
    I hadnít intended to drag this down the political path of the other threads that I had completely avoided. Was just saying I well understand the emotion but it donít matter anymore what we think (until next go-round) POTUS he is and like him or not Iíll man-up and solute the rank.

Got any Africa wet season pictures for us? Donít care about the airports myself, airports and the other freak shows are just the price of getting to places worth going to. What side arm did you take and what all did you need to take through all those countries and back home?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I did have a camera, a small point and shoot and have some pictures I can retrieve at a later date. I accompanied the photographer who was taking shots for a brochure and advertising and saw many great sights. I carried a rifle and was actually there to protect the photographer from mishap. She was a bit skiddish about being so close to some animals. This was a hoot for me I think she wanted to get back to the big city.

Murphy, without pics this could simply be a dillusional dream most of us have - gotta see some elephants sir! Glad you were able to make another wonderful journey abroad!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....