Thread: Smartwool sox

Default Smartwool sox

Has anyone got any good or bad things to say about smartwool socks and which style would be best for AK Range in September

Smartwool socks are a pretty good product. A lot of people use them and like them. I own a pair, although I prefer Thorlo's. I couldn't say exactly why, except that the Orlon material in the Thorlo's just feels a little better on my feet. I don't have any experience in the AK range in Sept., but I will say that you don't want such a thick sock that you foot feels cramped in your boot. It doesn't matter how good the sock is, if your feet are cramped you'll be miserable.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I already got caught with the thick sock trick in the Southern Alps in New Zealand. From the info I cna get suggests that the Mountineer would be suitable

I love my Smartwool socks! Seriously, I wear them every day - especially when out hiking, skiing, fishing, biking, or hunting. My favorite style is the light hiking, which is also what I use for hunting. The mountaineers are too thick for my taste. The regular hiking sock is fine if you like a semi-thick sock for warmth, but the light hiking has always been enough for me. Check out Sierra Trading Post, as they often have sales on Smartwools with cosmetic defects.

Default SmartWool Light Hiking socks...

Brian M nails it...I much prefer S Wool's light hiking socks over all the other models...They're not very thick - I wear them in the summer doing construction as well as all year around....In the winter (I'm a dog musher) I double them up, wearing two pairs.

My mother-in-law and sister-in-law always send me 3 pairs for Christmas...after nearly 10 Christmases I may have a lifetime supply....I've tried the other SmartWool models - the Light Hiking socks are the most comfortable year round and the longest lived.

Thats great. Sounds like I will be acquiring some Light Hiking Socks PDQ. thanks for the advice.

PS This is a forum is a great thing, I read a lot of old threads last night and my better half looked at me like I had two heads because I was chuckling at some of the posts.

Unrelated - I bought icebreaker base layer because of stuff off here and before I read all the raves about HH rain gear, I bought the Deluxe Jacket and pants and i was glad to read all the good comments

Thanks from Downunder