Thread: Question on a mitchel mouser

Default Question on a mitchel mouser

Question, I want to reload for my 8x57 mitchel mouser, I measured a factory 8 mm and got .318 the bullets I bought are .325, reading the manual it says the carrtridge was re designed for slightly larger (.325)and designated as the 8x57js. I guess my question is does anybody know off hand what the bore size on the mitchel mouser 8 mm is? Can I reload the .325? Thanks for any input

Lot of bullet for a mouse
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

IF you purchased a 98 mauser refurbished by Mitchell the proper bullet size is .323. The .318 diameter bullets are for the "commission mauser" used during the first world war. Some commission mausers were rechambered during WWll for the 8x57 JS.
    The original .318 military rounds were round nosed bullets while the 8x57 JS indicates a spitzer (pointed) bullet. The 8mm J bullet is .318 and a lower powered round than the 8x57 JS. 8x57 JS should not be fired in the 8mm J due to larger bullet diameters and higher pressures.

However all Remington and Winchester ammo is loaded to be fired in either rifle. These rounds are loaded to lower pressures with lighter bullets. These rounds usually will not shoot to the sights POA. Military ammo uses 196 grn bullets, Rem and Win load 180 grn bullets. European ammo like S & B, Privi Partisan, Norma are loaded to the proper specs for the 8x57 JS, and are sold labeled as 8x57 JS.

ENJOY your rifle !!!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Thanks brav01, I really appreciate the info looks like I'll get to reloading