Thread: Bou Hunting

Anckorage Alaska

Default Bou Hunting

Just wana take my dad and on a bou hunt but i dont want to pay alot of money. I just wana drive somewere, camp and have the possibility of seeing some bou and maybe harvesting one. Just wondering were the best place for that would be. maybe the danali highway, delta junction or maybe Kenai i have now clue. When i hunt caribou i got to Adak to hunt a portion of the nelchina herd were residents can shoot as meny as they want. If u have eny ? on that Adak hunt let me know tahnks for the info and i would love to here from you guys THANKS.

Eagle River, AK

Whoa, you said a mouthful there. First of all, the Adak caribou are not the Nelchina herd. The Nelchina herd are generally hunted in an area bounded by the Glenn Highway between Eureka and Glenallen to the south, up along the Richardson highway to Paxson on the east, and then west along the Denali highway to the west. You cannot hunt this herd of caribou without a Tier II caribou permit, and these are only awarded to hunters meeting specific criteria concerning length of residency, income, and where they live. Put the Denali highway out of your mind - it will not be a possibility for you. Adak might be an option, but flying out there is quite expensive and from what I understand the animals tend to be away from the limited road system. The caribou on the Kenai Peninsula can only be hunted with a drawing permit, and these animals tend to be found far from roads in areas with limited or no motorized access. Not a very viable option unless you win a permit and are willing to put in a ton of work or pay someone to take you in on horseback. That leaves us with the 40-mile herd, which can be hunted out of Chicken or northeast of Fairbanks, depending on herd location. This hunt is done on a registration basis, meaning that you sign up for a permit and they close the hunt down as soon as the harvest quota is met. In recent years, this has taken less than 2 weeks for the fall hunt (if memory serves). Furthermore, these animals are usually found some distance from the roads and most hunters that have been successful have used atv's in the fall, snowmachines in the winter. Road hunting this herd is possible, but your chances of success might not be high. There are also the caribou found up on the Haul Road, but unless you and your father are certified bowhunters this would not be a viable option either.

Really, it comes down to expectations. Many people think of Alaska as a game paradise where there is a caribou or a moose behind every tree. In truth, Alaska's ecosystems are far less productive and our ungulates are larger, thus there is less nutrition to grow larger animals...which equals less animals in general. Alaska's terrain is also very demanding and the competition for limited game resources along the highway system can be fierce. I am not in any way suggesting that you don't take your father road hunting for caribou, but you need to know that your options are very limited. Furthermore, it is very important that you read the hunting regulations and understand them clearly. The laws regarding when and where you can hunt caribou are very clear, but you need to read and re-read the regulations to make full sense of them. Good luck to you in your planning, and make sure you also spend lots of time reading through the forum archives here. A wealth of information is at your fingertips!