Thread: Spotting Scope Opinion

Default Spotting Scope Opinion

I was wondering if any of you have used either of the scopes below. I'm looking for a new mid range 60x scope and want to catch a mistake before its made .

Thanks for any input you can provide!

Straight - Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80
    Leupold Kenai 30x, 25-60X80 HD
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

For that money I would look at the Pentax PF-65EDA II Spotting Scopes 65 mm. Used one for years and it is a great spotter for the money, only sold it to move up to a swaro HD.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default $

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    For that money I would look at the Pentax PF-65EDA II Spotting Scopes 65 mm. Used one for years and it is a great spotter for the money, only sold it to move up to a swaro HD.
    Stid, Sounds like you recommend both of those two models, each in their own price range. Can you break with approximately what those two price ranges are?

I've got an older than the hills (yeah I bought it new... go figure) was nice then kinda spotter; might be bushnell; its no one's high end spotter, though it works great and has been packed afoot and via ATV lots. I've been looking to upgrade. If I walk in to SW I'll get sticker shock looking at their dozen models or so. I figure if I just hear what price range your two recommends were I might upgrade smarter. Yeah?

Also, to connect a camera to one, does it require a special camera, special spotter, or just a special thingy to hook up any two cameras/spotters?

Do you mind getting leaned on for some spotter-knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Stid, Sounds like you recommend both of those two models, each in their own price range. Can you break with approximately what those two price ranges are?

I've got an older than the hills (yeah I bought it new... go figure) was nice then kinda spotter; might be bushnell; its no one's high end spotter, though it works great and has been packed afoot and via ATV lots. I've been looking to upgrade. If I walk in to SW I'll get sticker shock looking at their dozen models or so. I figure if I just hear what price range your two recommends were I might upgrade smarter. Yeah?

Also, to connect a camera to one, does it require a special camera, special spotter, or just a special thingy to hook up any two cameras/spotters?

Do you mind getting leaned on for some spotter-knowledge?
    The Pentax is in the 600 to 700 dollar range and the Swaro HD in the 2500 range. Not many options for digiscoping for any scopes that really work until you get up to the big 3. Digiscoping and sheep hunting is what motivated me to spend the money and buy the Swaro, lots of options to attach a camera to it. For sheep hunting I use a Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS and just slip the lens adapter under the eye rubber for easy on and off use. For ATV and boat hunts I use the Swaro camera adapter.

Steve
    Founding Member

dont have personal experience but know quite a few that speak of the Pentax very highly for the price..

All I can say is digiscoping has come a long way in recent times.. We used to do it with non digital cameras and hope for the best,,, that was before I even knew what digiscoping meant..

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The Pentax is in the 600 to 700 dollar range and the Swaro HD in the 2500 range.
    Thanks. Not too likely I'm dropping a few grand on that, even as much as I like it. For a camera I use an Olympus Stylus Tough underwater & everything-proof and do love that, but still was impressed with the new outdoors-built Pentax that was just introduced - - 16 megapixels is hard to argue with.

Back to the spotter, sounds like that Pentax would be right up my alley. Any poor man's way to take pictures thru it? Just hold it there at the spotter's eyepiece?

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking to sell my pentax pf 65-ed with zoom eyepiece, neoprene skin, and case if you're interested. Feel free to stop by just to look through it too if you're still on the fence for what to get.

Any poor man's way to take pictures thru it? Just hold it there at the spotter's eyepiece?
    You can do that, but you end up taking a lot of poor photos that tend to not be centered on the image. There are various camera adapters out there but some a for just one type of camer and do not fit others. Stid's system might work on other non Swaro scopes if their eye piece body is of similar size.

For smart phone users the phone skope system is one of the most affordable systems with a large range of eyepiece adapters. They have a universal adapter that goes onto a phone case and then locks to what ever eye piece adapter you are using.

http://www.phoneskope.com/

I've owned quite a few different spotters over the years. Last year I finally upgraded to a Swarovski 65HD. Before that, I had a Nikon Fieldscope III. Great scope for the money, it's not as good as a Swarovski, but I got mine for about $250 on ebay used. New you're probably looking at a little more than double that for the non HD version.

Thanks. Not too likely I'm dropping a few grand on that, even as much as I like it. For a camera I use an Olympus Stylus Tough underwater & everything-proof and do love that, but still was impressed with the new outdoors-built Pentax that was just introduced - - 16 megapixels is hard to argue with.

Back to the spotter, sounds like that Pentax would be right up my alley. Any poor man's way to take pictures thru it? Just hold it there at the spotter's eyepiece?

Thanks for the info.
    Might try something like this. This issue with water proof cameras, is that there is no lens to extend and get the right gap between camera lens and scope lens. The trouble with cameras that have lens that extend is that all I have tried have died while out due to water getting into them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=lZlW4f-jGNo#!
    Founding Member

Thanks for the info.
    Don't worry, you still got an amazing camera! That pentax camera's stock lens is terrible compared to the Olympus. Plus, you got an ideal camera to address what Stid was mentioning about the extendable lens. Your olympus is the only weather proof one you can put a lens on.

This is my setup, Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS, lens adapter, Swaro HD spotter.

Lens adapter, held in place by rubber eye guard and left there.

Camera on scope.

Final product....

Founding Member

Stid how are the still pics with that set up? I have the spotting scope and the same camera I have ben thinking about the digi mount!

Quote Originally Posted by AkTroutBum View Post
    Stid how are the still pics with that set up? I have the spotting scope and the same camera I have ben thinking about the digi mount!

The stills and video are good when conditions are right. With high zoom, any wind movement really causes blur. Several of the photos in the video were shot with the camera attached to the scope.

For the weight and ease of use, this is about the best combo I have found that I'm willing to carry around on a sheep hunt.
    Founding Member

Very very nice setup stid; thanks for sharing that.

If you're into digiscoping you should check out the scope adapter by tinesup, Pretty slick!

http://www.tinesup.com/tustore.html

RC