Thread: laker rod

Default laker rod

after last years 30 minute fight to land a 18 pound laker on my thorn brothers walleye sweet heart i feel its time to up grade my set up to a heavy rod and reel. what type of set ups do you guys use for lakers.

this is what it looked like for 30 minutes straight

to catch this guy

and it tasted really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

just kidding id never keep a laker
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thats good sized fish

i myself build my personal ice rods have loners but as most fishermen do we have a few nice rods that broke unfortunatly, ive saved them all and made ice rods from the top halfs that were any good along with the handles cut off at the top and smoothed and so on tell they look like thats how it came of the shelf my fave i have is an ugly stick lite tip from a 7 ft rod and a bait caster very nice rod and a touch longer then most and helps alot for hook set when your useing larger lures i found. ive owned alot of ice rods wont go back not for large fish at least i still use my lil rod on small trout lakes

1 frabill exlt deep jig, but get big spool,and tough to find rod bag for 38inch rod 2 two rivers great power,and big eyelets great for no tent but stiff hard to jig deep 3 paul mitchell 34 b/c good deep jig not as much power as two rvr.

I use my own custom made heavy ice rods.
    They are built from a cut down 6' solid glass saltwater blank. So far we have landed lakers just over 20#'s and pike to 25#'s with no issues.
    The biggest laker to date took 5 minutes to land.

2 rivers rods are made in various actions and support both spin and casting reels. best of all they are made locally in Alaska. I have used a heavy action model with various lures types and sizes, at depths of 20-140 feet, the last 2 years with no issues. The rod has a great feel to it and its durable and dependable. And yes i have caught a few fish with it, both large and small fish.

The rods area little pricey, but well worth it IMHO. Thinking about getting a medium action casting model this season. You could always contact Brian and see if he could make you a rod with certain specs, you may have to pay a little more?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Three Rivers Fly and Tackle in Wasilla has been in the custom ice rod game for over a decade. They use a variety of blanks, but most are now cut down from a solid fiberglass blank, set up for baitcaster, and run 34-42" usually. Its a custom shop, so if you see one on the rack that isn't quite what you need, give 'em your specs and they'll build it. They started building rods mainly because no commercial outfit made a good heavy duty lake trout/pike rod that still had a light enough tip to feel a bite or work a plastic jig.

Just got a Jason Mitchell laker rod last year and love it. Great action and a major upgrade from my "broom handle" as my Jedi Master so gracefully called it...

I use HT "IBT 24" med- heavy action rods with the extra large eyes. They don't ice up or impede the line. I use small fly reels exclusively.

http://htent.com/catalog/item.php

Attached Images Attached Images

well you already use a thorn bros rod, I have used there custom build rods and they are pretty awesome. Light enough to feel everything, but strong enough to handle the big fish. It also depends if you want to stay with the spinning reel or move to the bait caster, but either way they are a worth looking into.