Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutco Hunting Knives

Default Cutco Hunting Knives

Does anybody have any recommendations on the Cutco hunting knives. I noticed they have an option of either straight edge or serrated edge. Which one would people recommend? It seems the serated edge would be better for cutting up meat, but the straight edge better for skinning. Any thoughts?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

buy two of each... that way you wont be so pissed off when your hunting buddy adopts one of the pairs...

i have ALL OF them.. and love them... combined with the Havlon knifes.. there is no need for others.

the double D is deadly on field dressing winter bou and making them ready to haul in minutes... the fillet is a must have also.. is perfect for tenderloins and back straps, on big moose or little ones, makes a perfect boning knife too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I bought the straight edge, and after skinning and quartering out 3 caribou, 1 deer and a fox it's still as sharp as the day I bought it, although I have to admit I did use my havalon as well. As Vince said, a havalon paired with a cutco is the perfect combination.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Cutco Drop point serrated and a Havalon are a hard combo to beat.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

DD serrated and a Havlon, add a utility knife with a roofing blade and a hook, all the tools I need to break down game.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

will admit.. i dont care for the HUNTER.. with the fancy handle as much as i do the orange handle ones... its a great knife. but its not what i like to skin with...

and speaking of CUTCO..

Mindy will be here at the house in a little bit to give me my 3 year sharpening on the kitchen set.. we bought the big set there too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cutco" Double D serrated blades are impressive. I've had them for years. By far my favorite is the folding knife with the locking blade. The drop points are okay, too. Orange is the right color to have. That's a great feature! I have enough smooth edged knives so never bought any from Cutco other than the fillet knife. I'm not a fan of that one. My Kershaws are better. But that's a preference thing. Other guys like Cutco. No skin off of my knuckles.

Every outdoorsman owes himself one Cutco Double D edged knife. Odds are that you'll never be without one after you try one. My skinning knives are by Benchmade. A friend gave me the first one. I bought another. Good stuff.

Double D = skinner..

10 stiches skinner

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Double D = skinner..

10 stiches skinner

Vince, add a pair of cut resistant gloves from AIH.

http://store.ghdalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=29006

Love my Cutco folder. For sheep hunts I use it and my Havlon. I like the Cutco folder which has a blade that is half serrated and half non serrated. I use it to separate the head from the spline.

Founding Member

9 moose, 4 caribou, couple of bears it needs sharpening now

Double D = skinner..

10 stiches skinner

Amateur. Lol

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Vince, add a pair of cut resistant gloves from AIH.

http://store.ghdalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=29006

Love my Cutco folder. For sheep hunts I use it and my Havlon. I like the Cutco folder which has a blade that is half serrated and half non serrated. I use it to separate the head from the spline.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Amateur. Lol

HEY!!!!!!!!!!! i was filleting frozen fish at the time... the tail was more thawed then the rest on that one.. and ZIIIIIIIP!

meet on face book here

HEY!!!!!!!!!!! i was filleting frozen fish at the time... the tail was more thawed then the rest on that one.. and ZIIIIIIIP!

What a sis ... only 10?....

Vince, you got lucky. This is what the last guy looked like after a Cutco accident. LOL

Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Vince, you got lucky. This is what the last guy looked like after a Cutco accident. LOL

Wow! He was pretty careless with his Cutco! Should have taken the Cutco safety course!
    "Grin and Bear It"

It doesn't seem like there is much of a preference between the serrated edge and the straight edge. I've never used a serrated knife for field dressing game before and was curious how others liked it. At any rate it doesn't seem like I can go wrong with either. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
    It doesn't seem like there is much of a preference between the serrated edge and the straight edge. I've never used a serrated knife for field dressing game before and was curious how others liked it. At any rate it doesn't seem like I can go wrong with either. Thanks for the info and the pictures.

There is a HUGE difference between a serrated knife and a non serrated. Both Cutco's are good, but the serrated has dozens of cutting tips on the blade and will out cut a non serrated blade any day. The draw back is they are harder to sharpen. I own 2 and just send one in when it starts getting dull. I get at least 3 bears before sending it off.
    Founding Member

The Cutco DD serrated is a pretty good bit of kit! I was dubious about mine when my brother first gave it to me as a gift. I've always disliked serrated blades because of the difficulty in sharpening them. I soon learned that the Cutco DD serrated ROCKS! It's still cutting when all of the other knives are on the 2nd or 3rd trip to the sharpener and your buddies will be eyeballing your knife in a way that makes you hold onto it a little bit tighter.

The DD Serrated is a wicked sharp blade. I started out years ago with an Old Timer. Moved on to Bucks, gerbers, kershaws and various others.

Nothing has cut as well and remained as sharp as the Cutco I have now. 3 moose and a bear, still splitting hair.

Will be adding a blade proof glove to my skinning pack.

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    The DD Serrated is a wicked sharp blade. I started out years ago with an Old Timer. Moved on to Bucks, gerbers, kershaws and various others.

Nothing has cut as well and remained as sharp as the Cutco I have now. 3 moose and a bear, still splitting hair.

Will be adding a blade proof glove to my skinning pack.
    Without bugging a sales rep how much do these knives run? Particularly the DD serrated in orange. I've never looked into them and I'm sure they aren't cheap but a lifetime warranty AND free sharpening is tempting. And Christmas is coming
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast