Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whittier

Default whittier

going to take the zodiak and cruise around whittier to test it out and make sure its good to go for our sea duck trip. seas look like they should be pretty small. any one else going to be out there this weekend? probably bring the guns incase we see some ducks who knows never been out there before lookin for ducks
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

The weather changes almost instantly out of Whittier. Your trip back in the Zodiac might be a real long, wet trip. Take warm rain gear. Expect buckets of icy water thrown in your face.

oh ya we got lots of that type of gear. thanks! bullelkklr clear some space in your message box!
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Me and AK_Marine will be down there on Sunday if the weather cooperates.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I figure it cant be as bad as some of the runs I made for geese this year while I had to run the bilge pump every 5 minutes from waves coming over the front of the boat. Got my 5mm / 1200gr waders in today!
    Good luck w/ the zodiac run, take pics!

I'll have my new electric jacket by this weekend too! Can't wait to test that thing out!

Going out next week off if weather calms down
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

With this storm front moving in, expect wind and snow. Whittier gets it a lot more then Anchortown. I would just stay and check out the tidal area at the end of the arm by whittier. If you attempt to go up the arm to get to other areas, it is a real long run and you could get 60 mph winds either in your face on the way out or pushing you on the way back in. Be careful, and take survival suits and waterproof portable VHF radio with you,(i have both, call if you want to borrow). Weather in whittier is nothing to take lightly. I've been there when the docks were coated with ice and 60 mph winds and you had to get down and crawl on the docks to check your boat. I havn't been there in 5 years, but if the road to shotgun cove is open, might be another place to go. Again, do not attempt a long trip out of whittier in your zodiak unless it is a calm bluebird day with calm in the forcast. Bud
    Wasilla

Last year I went several times and I picked my days.
    However one day was cloudy and warm. 4 hours later it was dumping snow and water got rough.
    Dec. 6, I went out and it felt like a spring day. Sunny, warm and flat water all day....
    Youll never know. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
    Make sure you have chains, shovel and maybe a bag or two of sand or kity litter. Ramp can get very icy.....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Are your guys just going after sea ducks or are there still some puddle ducks around
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

If you just want to trial run it - take it out of ship creek at high tide. Free parking. No put in fee. No parking ticket either.

Having spent time out of TWhittier in my boat in the winter for deer and ducks. I would second the cautions given here. It is not unusual to have extended periods in winter where the wind is 35-50 knots E in Passage Canal. You need to pay close attention to the weather forecast, and understand that it is not always very accurate more than 24 hours in advance (and even some times less than 24 hours as low pressure systems may not move the direction they think). I have spent enough time boating that I can look at the extended surface forecast map for the state and tell what the worst case scenario may be, and the odds for the forecast to change. If you do not have a good understanding of the weather in Whittier, then I would not venture far without enogh gear to survive for several days if stranded. When on a friends 52 foot boat, we answered calls for help from people in an inflatable in Pigot Bay who ran out of food during a winter deer hunt and the weather would not allow them to return for several days. Pigot Bay is about 15 miles from Whittier.

Also you need to know wht the limits are on hunting in the Whittier area. I am told that you cannot hunt black bear within the Whittier city limits which includes the head of the bay and the mountain on the far side of Passge Canal (I was informed of this after telling a friend I almost killed a bear within site of the harbor one spring). This may apply to small game hunting as well. So hunting may be out close to town - you may want to check to be sure of the law and where the city limits end if it is not allowed, although I doubt any city cops are going to be out on the water looking for duck hunters.

Unless it is almost flat calm and forecast to stay that way, I would not venture very far in an inflatable in winter.

While the forecast for Passage Canal and PWS is for relatively calm seas for this time of year, the 24 and 48 surface forecast maps look iffy. Also the Cape Suckling to Gore point forecast is E 35 knots and 14 foot seas for Sat, and NE 20 knots and seas 10 foot seas for Sun. This just means that there is a risk the forecast could change. If I was to pick a day for what you want to do from what I see right now it would be Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Are your guys just going after sea ducks or are there still some puddle ducks around
    There are puddles to be found out there. I see a bunch out there is certain areas
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Them ducks BETTER be cooperating this morning, loading the boat up and hittin the road with Duckslayer56.

good luck gents..sounds like fun

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Marine View Post
    Them ducks BETTER be cooperating this morning, loading the boat up and hittin the road with Duckslayer56.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

We had a good hunt, I finally got the common goldeneye drake I have been after for 4 years...unfortunately as I was super excited and was getting him ready to put in a nylon to preserve the feathers, I noticed that the feathers on the back were falling out. It was pretty disappointing...oh well, the hunt continues! We both ended up getting our limits of divers, and I also got a hen harlequin. We couldn't have asked for better weather. It was about 35 to 40 degrees, with no wind, and the water was like glass. Awesome day to be out enjoying Alaska's bounty.

how far from whittier did you venture in that inflatable. Bud
    Wasilla

We weren't in an inflatable, we were in a 16 foot jon with a Go Devil. We went in quite a ways, but stuck close to shore for the most part.

Most inflatables I see stick to first big cove by whitter.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    We weren't in an inflatable, we were in a 16 foot jon with a Go Devil. We went in quite a ways, but stuck close to shore for the most part.
    You got lucky. A Jon boat out there is suicide.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast