Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Mount a Walrus Skull

Default How to Mount a Walrus Skull

I recently acquired a small Walrus skull and tusks. The whole thing is about 18 inches tall the the skull has been cut off about 3 inches behind the nose (for lack of a better description). I would like to hang it on the wall and I am wondering how you go about attaching the skull to a piece of wood or metal to hang on the wall?

I am thinking that if I pick a good thick spot on the skull I can drill a couple of reasonable size holes and just epoxy in a couple of metal studs and then use them to attach to the backing plate of my choice?? Is there a special epoxy used on skulls? Am I thinking along the correct lines??

I can post some photos of the skull if it would help.

Oh and just so this does not go down that road, the ivory is legal, looked into that prior to purchasing the skull.

On another note I noticed that one of the tusks is slightly loose, if it ever falls out is there an epoxy or glue that should be used for repairing that problem?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you purchased this thing, it is either scrimmed or carved, or it is pre 1972. I would suggest you find a native carver and pay him to mount it. If it is clean and doesn't have any smell, then just glue the tusks in and treat the skull as any other skull.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

The tusk on mine have been glued and secured with small brass pins. I'm going to mount mine to a slab of burl.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    If you purchased this thing, it is either scrimmed or carved, or it is pre 1972. I would suggest you find a native carver and pay him to mount it. If it is clean and doesn't have any smell, then just glue the tusks in and treat the skull as any other skull.
    It is carved to meet the requirements... so no worries.

stid - Mine is much smaller but otherwise the same of yours. Mine is only 18-20 inches long overall. How do you go about mounting the skull to anything? I have never has a skull to do anything with...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    It is carved to meet the requirements... so no worries.

stid - Mine is much smaller but otherwise the same of yours. Mine is only 18-20 inches long overall. How do you go about mounting the skull to anything? I have never has a skull to do anything with...
    Not quite sure on the mounting yet. They have a couple mounted at a restaurant in Valdez, I was going to do something similar. I know they are heavy and fragile. A friend saw a guy drop a set at the Palmer gun show and they shattered into a thousand pieces when it hit the floor. I thought I had photos of the way they mounted the ones in Valdez, but I can't find them. They are on a wood base with a slight tilt, with the bottom of the tusk resting on the base to support the weight.
    Founding Member

here is one I think looks pretty neat..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    here is one I think looks pretty neat..

I really like that!!!
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I really like that!!!
    Me too..... after reading this thread I did some poking around and came across this.. I really like the not so norm type of mounts as they really stand out...

just helped a friend mount his, wasn't fancy, he wanted it mounted on sealskin he had purchased. the skull had 3 1/4" holes that were already tapped. we used those hole to anchor the board to the skull, put some spacers between the top hole & board so the tusks would rest on the board. see if i cant get a photo. i would tap the skull or use anchors

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    that is amazing!! Where does a guy get ahold of something like that?

Those are too cool. I need to get me one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    that is amazing!! Where does a guy get ahold of something like that?
    i think my friend picked up the walrus locally in wasilla, maybe try putting an add on craigslist or alaska's list....not sure where he got the sealskin. maybe check out fur exchange in anch. the rest was just a piece of good plywood & staples

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    Now that is a truly unique mount that shows off the walrus and seal beautifully!

Chopped mine out on the beach south of Pilot Point in 1961. The walrus was probably killed by a storm at sea, I thought. With 31" teeth, I bleached the skull with "Basic White" powder from a beautician supply house, mixed to a paste with hydrogen peroxide, then used a molly screw anchor - - - bolt head painted flat black - - - to mount it directly to a white wall. I had used an everyday, off-the-shelf epoxy to secure a small flat metal bar to the back of the skull. Made a very nice display, since I didn't want any plaque or board showing behind the skull. Observers still don't know how it is mounted, what with no hardware and no backing showing.

Years later, when the teeth showed a bit of looseness, I anchored them with gypsum drywall joint compound. Still like new after more than fifty years.

I mounted mine upside down.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Found this one out on cape pierce back in the day... 37 inches.. and pretty real bases..

see how it compares to the tusk next to it... the chunk you see is what was left after a pilot landed on the beach.. was unable to do anything wit the entire dead walrus.. went back to his plane, got a hatchet, and destroyed what I think would have been a book type head set..

he ended up with a shattered chunk of ivory.. I got what was left of the head set, and oosik.

out of that trip we found 7 complete head sets, salvaged oosiks.. the boat smelled really special..

not sure why there were so many dead decaying walrus that Spring.. seemed there was a shooting spree at some point..

come along walrus 007-1 - Copy.jpg

I had two ideas to mount the head set.. one cut the skull in half, and present the one tusk.. or build the small tusk up at the base.. and mount it to the skull.

might mount the broken, and unbroken tusk.. makes a good story...

freaking pilots..lol

It's been 20 years since I thought about this walrus head set.. but recal it being book worthy had it not been destroyed..

WORLD'S RECORDS PACIFIC WALRUS
    SCORE: 147 4/8
    HUNTER: Picked Up
    OWNER: Ralph Young
    DATE: 1997
    KEY MEASUREMENTS:
    Entire length of loose tusk: Left 36 7/8 - Right 37 7/8
    Circumference of base: Left 9 7/8 - Right 9 7/8

the one I have is 37 and 3/8 left side.. and the base on the remaining chunk is identical to the left.. the full tusk is 10 1/8 at the widest point..

and without the rounded tip.. is easily over 38"..

walrus 001-1 - Copy.jpg

the world record seems to have un worn tips..

this one are quite rounded.

walrus 002-1 - Copy.jpg

it was a contender?.. we were about three hours late..lol.. pilot had done his chopping..

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    Found this one out on cape pierce back in the day... 37 inches.. and pretty real bases..

see how it compares to the tusk next to it... the chunk you see is what was left after a pilot landed on the beach.. was unable to do anything wit the entire dead walrus.. went back to his plane, got a hatchet, and destroyed what I think would have been a book type head set..

he ended up with a shattered chunk of ivory.. I got what was left of the head set, and oosik.

out of that trip we found 7 complete head sets, salvaged oosiks.. the boat smelled really special..

not sure why there were so many dead decaying walrus that Spring.. seemed there was a shooting spree at some point..

come along walrus 007-1 - Copy.jpg

I had two ideas to mount the head set.. one cut the skull in half, and present the one tusk.. or build the small tusk up at the base.. and mount it to the skull.

might mount the broken, and unbroken tusk.. makes a good story...

freaking pilots..lol
    If you have ever seen the hunting video "No land for the Timid" you would know why all those dead ones wash up. They shot hundreds in the video and all but a few sank. In the video the guy said they would shoot "CASES" of bullets. Was filmed in the 60s off Saint Lawrence.

The one I have I measured and it would make book.. Since the tusk are glued and pinned in I could not get an exact measurement and for the record book they are measured removed. Mine was killed and carved at Saint Lawrence.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    If you have ever seen the hunting video "No land for the Timid" you would know why all those dead ones wash up. They shot hundreds in the video and all but a few sank. In the video the guy said they would shoot "CASES" of bullets. Was filmed in the 60s off Saint Lawrence.

The one I have I measured and it would make book.. Since the tusk are glued and pinned in I could not get an exact measurement and for the record book they are measured removed. Mine was killed and carved at Saint Lawrence.

yea that was my guess.. they shoot.. they sink, they move on.. they float eventually right? I will look up that video..

I have to imagine since they are not a hunted species, that there are some big ones around that would be world records if ever submitted.. I've never seen one that had bases like the tusk I showed here..had to be an older guy... pretty worn tusk..

we had no idea at th time what the feds thought of people having walrus ivory, so we buried all 7 sets on this island.. made a map.. at the end of the herring season we looked a long time to find them all...took them in and got them registered, numbered.. inspected,,,the works..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast